Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

[VX] RPG Tankentai Sideview Battle System 2.6 Translated + A

I'm having trouble figuring out how to get the animated battlers working, right now I just have them still, what confuses me is when I go to past over the old part of the script to allow the animated battlers there are items that I'm not sure should be deleted, this includes max party, floor, damage/recover graphics, no weapon, 2 weapon style, any help?  I have no idea what I'm doing.

EDIT: Damn I figured it out right after I posted again sorry about that.

I have a question for anyone who can reply to this (that has the answer). How do you make it that when you use skill sword it automaticly goes to skill sword 2 and then to normal attack :crazy:? And also I want to make that you only use skill sword 1 and then you learn the whole thing with skill sword 1 and 2 then normal attack?

Hey, Kylock.
Is it possible to show text above the character when it casts a skill?
For example, it we use '2-Man Tech Attack' both of player show text "C'mon pal!!" above char,
and then execute the skill.

lionx~

Kylock":1s9ha4de said:
psymastr":1s9ha4de said:
I found a glitch in the system.

I made a scripted battle, where a non-party member says text (works fine), then I add him to the party (works fine), then I force an attack.  Right after his attack finishes, it errors out and gives me this error.

Script 'Sideview 1' line 277: NoMethodError occurred.
undefined method 'normal' for nil:NilClass

Now, if I don't force an action, but just add him to the party, no glitch.

Line 277 is:
Code:
    @repeat_action = @battler.normal
I only translate the script, and provide what support I can.  For bugs, you should report to the original author.  This is why I kept the link in the original post.

All I can suggest is try to find a work around.

I tried contacting the author.  But his CGI mailer is down.  You don't happen to have his email do you?

Kylock":14cwurmq said:
mudducky":14cwurmq said:
Thanks, this script is amazing. Is there a way to allow more then 1 skill to use a dual attack, or can I only have one with the addon?

in the dual attack script find this part:
Code:
      if @id == 1 # Dual Attack is Skill ID 1
        return "DUAL_ATTACK"
      end
change the first line to:
Code:
if @id == 1 || @id == X
Replace X with the other skill id.  You can add as many as you want.
Thanks! I have finally had time to test it, and it works fantastically. xP

Edit: Sorry I keep asking you so many questions, but I was wondering if it is possible to create more "2-Man Tech Attack"'s and "Assist"'s.

If so how would I be able to do that?

So, I finally got in contact with the original author.  He basically told me to F'off.  I submitted a detailed bug report, about the issue, and he told me he doesn't support his stuff outside of japan and its not to be used outside of japan o_O

thelionx":2whuvl0m said:
Hey, Kylock.
For example, it we use '2-Man Tech Attack' both of player show text "C'mon pal!!" above char,

lionx~
Probably, but it can't be done with the script as it is.  You'll need a custom script or edit.

mudducky":2whuvl0m said:

Edit: Sorry I keep asking you so many questions, but I was wondering if it is possible to create more "2-Man Tech Attack"'s and "Assist"'s.

Yes, this can be done.  Look at the addons to see how to add more moves.  Basically, you will create another 2 moves using the existing 2-man attack moves as a template.  It can easily be done, but I doubt you'll find many people who can do it that will do it for you.

psymastr":2whuvl0m said:
So, I finally got in contact with the original author.  He basically told me to F'off.  I submitted a detailed bug report, about the issue, and he told me he doesn't support his stuff outside of japan and its not to be used outside of japan o_O
Yes, I do have his email, since he did send me an email giving me permission to distribute a translated version of his script.  While I have posted this script to several forums, when he asked for a URL, I gave him rmxp.org...  I can also understand his reluctance to support something like this in a language that isn't native to him.

You'll just have to do the best you can with what you have.  You'll have to find a workaround to your event.

Kylock":v99wvnsh said:
thelionx":v99wvnsh said:
Hey, Kylock.

lionx~
Probably, but it can't be done with the script as it is.  You'll need a custom script or edit.

mudducky":v99wvnsh said:

Yes, this can be done.  Look at the addons to see how to add more moves.  Basically, you will create another 2 moves using the existing 2-man attack moves as a template.  It can easily be done, but I doubt you'll find many people who can do it that will do it for you.

psymastr":v99wvnsh said:
Yes, I do have his email, since he did send me an email giving me permission to distribute a translated version of his script.  While I have posted this script to several forums, when he asked for a URL, I gave him rmxp.org...  I can also understand his reluctance to support something like this in a language that isn't native to him.

You'll just have to do the best you can with what you have.  You'll have to find a workaround to your event.

Very interesting. So full credit to the script should say "RPG Tankentai Sideview Battle System Version 2.6
Translation Version 1.3 by Kylock"?

I'll mess around with the script and try to create a new 2 man attack move, thanks.

1) could you make an overdrive addon to the script
2) how would I go about allowing characters to be renamed, because when I allow the player to be renamed it won't use that sprite? (well I need to double check to be 100% positive)
3) in the story line for my game the main character's armor changes twice how would I change the sprite later in the game? (battler), I'm using the battlers from the second screenshot.
------
I was wrong about the first question, it may have been another system that wouldn't allow for custom names on characters, now I remember it was the XP version of the party changer, well just ignore my second question on this thread.

van helblaze":3jg3trxk said:
1) could you make an overdrive addon to the script
2) how would I go about allowing characters to be renamed, because when I allow the player to be renamed it won't use that sprite? (well I need to double check to be 100% positive)
3) in the story line for my game the main character's armor changes twice how would I change the sprite later in the game? (battler), I'm using the battlers from the second screenshot.
------
I was wrong about the first question, it may have been another system that wouldn't allow for custom names on characters, now I remember it was the XP version of the party changer, well just ignore my second question on this thread.
I've noticed KGC_OverDrive works with this script, if you can find it. xP

Alright I got a little problem here.  I tested it in the demo and the same thing happens...

Try this:

Make your weapon array to size 38, and in 38 create a axe weapon (I called it Hatchet) that is of element slashing, animation slashing/physical.

Now make your skill array size 202, make skill 202 something (I called it Hack) that is scope one enemy, only in battle, mp cost 10, hit ratio 100, add a state change of def down, speed 0, animation same as normal atck, base damage one, variance 20, attack f 100 and spirit f 0.  Also check Physical Attack box. 

Now... when using this skill you''l notice that the character does not dash after the enemy, but rather stays in place, swings their axe, and an arrow goes at their enemy and gives them defense down.

...Any chance you could pinpoint the problem here?

I also have a bug that I have found and despite trying to find the solution, myself, I can't get it figured out, so I'm hoping you guys can help me out with it.

I have a lot of extra status abnormalities.  Bleeding, choking, Berserk, atk boost 2, and so on and so forth.  A lot of them involve slip damage and stat boosting.

So, here's my problem.  I use berserk on one of my characters.  It is supposed to set up the character with +150% damage -50% defense and always attack enemies.

Well, nothing at ALL happens.  But, if I change the skill to use atk up (the standard state), it works just fine.  Actually, none of my extra states work correctly.

Where can i add the extra states in the script?  I have to be missing something obvious, and I'm sure I'll facepalm when I actually find it. 

Thanks in advance!

Gabriot":1zj95k1j said:
Alright I got a little problem here.  I tested it in the demo and the same thing happens...

Try this:

Make your weapon array to size 38, and in 38 create a axe weapon (I called it Hatchet) that is of element slashing, animation slashing/physical.

Now make your skill array size 202, make skill 202 something (I called it Hack) that is scope one enemy, only in battle, mp cost 10, hit ratio 100, add a state change of def down, speed 0, animation same as normal atck, base damage one, variance 20, attack f 100 and spirit f 0.  Also check Physical Attack box. 

Now... when using this skill you''l notice that the character does not dash after the enemy, but rather stays in place, swings their axe, and an arrow goes at their enemy and gives them defense down.

...Any chance you could pinpoint the problem here?

You gotta custom define all skills as animation sequences.  If it is not a regular attack, it will auto do its casting thing.  What you should do, is take a look at the bow addon, or the gun addon or something, and build an attack using animations based on those.  Specifically the dual attack.

Here, I made this for you.

Code:
#==============================================================================
# ¦ Hack Attack for RPG Tankentai Sideview Battle System
#     June 8th, 2008
#------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#  Script by: Psymastr
# Adds an animation sequence for the Hack attack.

module N01
  # Creates a new hash with a new action sequence
  new_action_sequence = {
  "HACK_SKILL_ATTACK" => ["PREV_STEP_ATTACK","WPN_SWING_VL","OBJ_ANIM_WEAPON","Can Collapse","COORD_RESET"],}
  # Merges new hash with the script
  ACTION.merge!(new_action_sequence)
end

module RPG
  class Skill
    alias k_hack_attack_base_action base_action
    def base_action
      if @id == 202 # Your attack is Skill ID 202
        return "HACK_SKILL_ATTACK"
      end
      k_hack_attack_base_action
    end
  end
end

Note what i changed compared to the others to make this one work.  Use this as an example for others you may have.

Actually, Psymaster, (and not to step on your toes) there is a slightly easier way.  Now, the kicker to this is if you just want the character who uses the hatchet chop to run up to the enemy and execute the attack animation, then fall back as if it were a normal attack.  All you'd have to do is open the SBS 2.6 Config script and then go down to the lower 75% of it.  Look for the def base_action area.  It'll have a bunch of
Code:
when 85
      return "MULTI_ATTACK"
    when 86
      return "RAPID_MULTI_ATTACK"  
    when 87
      return "MULTI_SHOCK"  
    when 88
      return "SHOCK_WAVE"

Just add an entry with the skill # for it.  For example, if your skill is number 202 like you mentioned, then you'd just add this to the list:

Code:
when 202
    return "NORMAL_ATTACK"

and that's all.  Again, either way would work.  I'm just thinking that if it looks like a straight out attack, this is a bit easier.  Thanks.

EDIT:  Oh, and scratch my request for help.  I figured out the problem.  :D

Dyrnwyn":2icj8xtt said:
Actually, Psymaster, (and not to step on your toes) there is a slightly easier way.  Now, the kicker to this is if you just want the character who uses the hatchet chop to run up to the enemy and execute the attack animation, then fall back as if it were a normal attack.  All you'd have to do is open the SBS 2.6 Config script and then go down to the lower 75% of it.  Look for the def base_action area.  It'll have a bunch of
Code:
when 85
      return "MULTI_ATTACK"
    when 86
      return "RAPID_MULTI_ATTACK"  
    when 87
      return "MULTI_SHOCK"  
    when 88
      return "SHOCK_WAVE"

Just add an entry with the skill # for it.  For example, if your skill is number 202 like you mentioned, then you'd just add this to the list:

Code:
when 202
    return "NORMAL_ATTACK"

and that's all.  Again, either way would work.  I'm just thinking that if it looks like a straight out attack, this is a bit easier.  Thanks.

EDIT:  Oh, and scratch my request for help.  I figured out the problem.  :D

Ooooh thanks for pointing that out, hehe :)

I didn't even know that switch/case existed.  I better read up on the config again.  I've spent too long with Script 1 to try and implement forced actions myself, I never fully got through that part.

*) in the story line for my game the main character's armor changes twice how would I change the sprite later in the game? (battler), I'm using the battlers from the second screenshot, any one know a solution?

van helblaze":1zcsgrqk said:
*) in the story line for my game the main character's armor changes twice how would I change the sprite later in the game? (battler), I'm using the battlers from the second screenshot, any one know a solution?
When you change the character graphic (charset) the script should automagically be changing to the associated battlers.

Kylock - There are still a few untranslated areas of the script.  I pulled in a couple of friends to help out with those.  One of whom works as a translator for a video game company in Canada.  God willing and if she can piece together all of it, we might have a fully translated version of it soon.  If they can swing it, I'll shoot you a copy.  No credit/worship/whatever needed.  We all owe you for bringing the awesomeness of this script to us. 

All we need now is for some ambitious coder to make a ATB for it. :)

i posted this on the old version and then i saw you no longer support that one so i will post it here.This is my first time doing any thing of this sort, i got the game yesterday.But the battle system it came with was horrible so i found this one.i followed the instructions and made new things in the script editor and got everything running,but when i go into battle instead of like 4 separate sprites there are big groups of them flashing and rotating  between different sprites.any idea how to fix this?

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.