Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

[VX] RPG Tankentai Sideview Battle System 2.6 Translated + A

The two man attack should be okay.  For the 4 man attack, there is 3 assist skills.  Each character needs to be using a DIFFERENT assist skill.  If you are using 11 characters, I don't think this will work for you at all unless you maintain careful control about what characters are in the party at what times and who has which assist skill, since they all need to have the separate skills for it to work.

Kylock.  I am trying to make a custom handler for a skill based off of all your custom ones (bow, gun, multi attack or w/e).

I am trying to make a script for a ranged attack such as a gun.  The animation shows it hitting the enemy 8 times.  Currently, my attack script shows the animation, it does damage once, and then my character raises the gun 7 times after the attack is done.  So to get to the point.  My two questions are: Is there a way to show the animation once and do damage multiple times?  And also is there a way to have my character constantly shoot his gun (like in the gun script) while the animation for the attack is playing?

Code:
new_action_sequence = {
  "RAPIDSHOT_ATTACK" => ["JUMP_AWAY","WPN_SWING_V","30","WAIT(FIXED)","2","WPN_SWING_V",
        "OBJ_ANIM_WEIGHT","2","WPN_SWING_VL","OBJ_ANIM_L","WPN_SWING_V","30","WAIT(FIXED)","2","WPN_SWING_V",
        "WPN_SWING_VL","OBJ_ANIM_L","WPN_SWING_V","30","WAIT(FIXED)","2","WPN_SWING_V",
        "2","WPN_SWING_VL","OBJ_ANIM_L","WPN_SWING_V","30","WAIT(FIXED)","2","WPN_SWING_V",
        "2","WPN_SWING_VL","OBJ_ANIM_L","WPN_SWING_V","30","WAIT(FIXED)","2","WPN_SWING_V",
        "2","WPN_SWING_VL","OBJ_ANIM_L","Can Collapse","JUMP_TO","COORD_RESET"],}

That is my action sequence to show you what I did so far (and it doesn't really work hehe).  Any thoughts?

On a side note: I have been reading through the main script to get a better understanding how it works, and translated a few untranslated lines here and there.  Would you care for the updated translation, or it doesn't really matter? :P

Thanks Kylock!  :smile: Dunno how I missed that.  Still a grasshopper, I am.

I thought you disappeared because of all the support you have to do. I'd understand if you have to "disappear" again.  :wink:

My own opinion: Animated battlers are weak with this script.  If I had realized they would be so troublesome for people, I would never have introduced the option.

True.  I tried the other side view battle systems and they either lack features or break my game.  The "Minkoff Animated Battle System" ported from XP has the animated enemies done well, but alas, it is not compatible with my game.  (I don't want to debug it :p)

psymastr":36sihiut said:
Kylock.  I am trying to make a custom handler for a skill based off of all your custom ones (bow, gun, multi attack or w/e).

I am trying to make a script for a ranged attack such as a gun.  The animation shows it hitting the enemy 8 times.  Currently, my attack script shows the animation, it does damage once, and then my character raises the gun 7 times after the attack is done.  So to get to the point.  My two questions are: Is there a way to show the animation once and do damage multiple times?  And also is there a way to have my character constantly shoot his gun (like in the gun script) while the animation for the attack is playing?

Code:
new_action_sequence = {
  "RAPIDSHOT_ATTACK" => ["JUMP_AWAY","WPN_SWING_V","30","WAIT(FIXED)","2","WPN_SWING_V",
        "OBJ_ANIM_WEIGHT","2","WPN_SWING_VL","OBJ_ANIM_L","WPN_SWING_V","30","WAIT(FIXED)","2","WPN_SWING_V",
        "2","WPN_SWING_VL","OBJ_ANIM_L","Can Collapse","JUMP_TO","COORD_RESET"],}

That is my action sequence to show you what I did so far (and it doesn't really work hehe).  Any thoughts?

On a side note: I have been reading through the main script to get a better understanding how it works, and translated a few untranslated lines here and there.  Would you care for the updated translation, or it doesn't really matter? :P

2 Observations.  Any weapon swing ending in L (such as WPN_SWING_VL) will be processed if the character has "Two Swords".  Basically this means there will be something like 14 attacks in that situation as things are.  Secondly, the reason why you are not getting damage is because you forgot to add "OBJ_ANIM_WEIGHT" after the "main-hand" attacks.  That will display the damage animation and evoke a damage pop.  Other than that, you may want to try removing your WAIT(FIXED) lines as the "30" already causes it to pause for 30 frames.  Sometimes I find that WAIT(FIXED) creates a "rougher" action sequence, but other times, it ends up working out how I want it to.  Just something to try if you haven't already.

Another suggestion to add to what you have...  I have an updated version already of my bow addon, with support for guns and crossbows that I plan to release when the script gets updated again... but to make a sound when the gun is fired, and to have a short delay between the 'shot' and the damage pop. For the gunshot, I added this:

Code:
    "GUNSHOT"     => ["sound", "se",  100, 100, "close1"],

It's funny to think it plays the close1 se, but it works quite well.  To make it work, this is what I'm using for the attack:

Code:
    "GUN_ATTACK" => ["JUMP_AWAY","WPN_SWING_P","30","GUNSHOT","WPN_SWING_V",
        "OBJ_ANIM_WEIGHT","20","WPN_SWING_VL","OBJ_ANIM_L","One Wpn Only",
        "16","Can Collapse","JUMP_TO","COORD_RESET"],}

Now if you understand everything I told you about up to this point, then you'll quickly realize that there's no GUNSHOT after WPN_SWING_VL... this is only a sleight problem as there won't be a bang from an offhand gun, but if the user has a single gun (assumed to be the most likely case) then it would play the GUNSHOT twice since you can't make an offhand condition for the sound effect.  It really isn't that bad though from what I've noticed during my playtesting.

Hopefully this helps.

Kylock":39suapk3 said:
mudducky":39suapk3 said:
I am very amazed and pleased with this script, thank you for editing and translating it. It should help make games even more fun. xP.

Though, I heard somehow the large party script worked with this, I can't seem to get it working. If anyone could tell me what I need to do or doing wrong that would be really helpful, thanks.

I am using Dargor's Large Party script, along with the party changer and custom commands. I have tried removing 2 scripts and mixing them all around but nothing seem to work right.

Apparently some people have managed to successfully get a large party member with this script, so like I said any suggestions or support would be really helpful, thanks. xP

MAX_MEMBER= however many people are in your party
Then add to the hash ACTOR_POSITION for coordinates of party members.  It'll take some testing, but not too bad.

I have a 5 man party in my game.  To get you started, I'm using:

ACTOR_POSITION = [[430,140],[480,160],[455,200],[505,220],[480,260]]
Thanks, this script is amazing. Is there a way to allow more then 1 skill to use a dual attack, or can I only have one with the addon?

mudducky":2awsabdv said:
Thanks, this script is amazing. Is there a way to allow more then 1 skill to use a dual attack, or can I only have one with the addon?

in the dual attack script find this part:
Code:
      if @id == 1 # Dual Attack is Skill ID 1
        return "DUAL_ATTACK"
      end
change the first line to:
Code:
if @id == 1 || @id == X
Replace X with the other skill id.  You can add as many as you want.

Kylock, thanks.  I have updated my script and it works perfectly now.  Instead of using OBJ_ANIM_WEIGHT, I just used OBJ_ANIM, so that way it would continue the gunshots and other attacks.  Then for the last one, I used OBJ_ANIM_WEIGHT so that the enemy wouldn't be attacking while I was still firing. hehe.  And yeah, I just shortened the skill's animation to get it to hit multiple times.

Code:
 "RAPIDSHOT_ATTACK" => ["JUMP_AWAY",
         "WPN_SWING_V","OBJ_ANIM",
         "WPN_SWING_V","OBJ_ANIM_WEIGHT",
         "Can Collapse","JUMP_TO","COORD_RESET"],}

That was my code :)  (I dunno if this would help anyone making their own animations)

Has anyone figured out a good way to make enemies float?  When I use the turn 0 condition they float but they kind of "jump" so to speak at the beginning of battle into floatation (kind of like in the demo).  Anyone figure out a way for the enemy to be floating animation right from the get go?

hehe I am still working on multiple bows/gun animations...

I really wish the animations could be read through the "note" in the weapons info XD

eh oh well... not sure if I want rapidfire skills... hmm... oh well its nice to see XD
so far I want a couple of guns... some use same animations... some use special animations...
and then for special guns I want them to attack with a regular hit animation unless you use a special bullet skill

I actually tweaked my animation further.  This one seems to work well (Every animation is 8 frames long)

"RAPIDFIRE_ATTACK" => ["JUMP_AWAY",
        "GUN_SWING_V","OBJ_ANIM",
        "GUN_SWING_V","OBJ_ANIM","GUN_SWING_V","WAIT(FIXED)","30",
        "Can Collapse","JUMP_TO","COORD_RESET"],}

Where Gun Swing V is just an alteration of the WPN_SWING_V but I changed the degrees of rotation so it doesn't flail wildly back like it would using the regular thing.

Marco

Kylock":2zqpjoxo said:
That probably uses the cut-in commands.  It can be done, but it will take some playing around with the animation segments.
How I make to make it?
Kaduki has me passed to the proj with all the scripts.
You want to control it?

None of the skills work and only 4 characters have the skills so yeah and each of the characters are using different classes so still I don't know what's going on :cry:. Can anyone help?plz appreciate it. another thing since it's like impossible to fix this is it ok (will the skill still work) if I copy all my info into your demo and creat a game there?

Marco":218tvh9a said:
How I make to make it?
Kaduki has me passed to the proj with all the scripts.
You want to control it?
I don't quite understand.

theroseliesdead":218tvh9a said:
None of the skills work and only 4 characters have the skills so yeah and each of the characters are using different classes so still I don't know what's going on :cry:. Can anyone help?plz appreciate it. another thing since it's like impossible to fix this is it ok (will the skill still work) if I copy all my info into your demo and creat a game there?
I don't see how building your game from the demo would not work.  It sounds like a good idea.

were can I find a template for the animated battlers, I found one months ago, but I can't find it now.

EDIT: I found the template seconds after posting this, sorry.

Hey Kylock sorry for all the questions, but is there an array or hash list that contains IDs of the enemys that have a float animation by default? I know you can just go to the troop and make them float on turn 0 that way, but the problem there is that the enemy stand still for about a second then just jumps into the float animation (looks very taccy).

I just want to find out a way to make the floating look smooth...

alright so so far it's good I got 4 people on "your" demo and so far it works and I deleted one of my characters now I have 10 i'm going
to put all 10 and only 4 will have will have the 2,4-man skillz. I hope you don't mind but i'll keep you posted!thx for your help kylock really appreciate it. :lol :smile:

I just tried it and.................................IT WORKS!!!!!Thank you Kylock with your battle system and good luck with the following scripts that you make. THX A LOT!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :grin: :thumb: :smile:!!!!!! If there are any probs I'll keep you posted and for what it's worth my game is called Final Fantasy 7 The Reunion. But it's still a trial so yeah!!!!!!!!!

I found a glitch in the system.

I made a scripted battle, where a non-party member says text (works fine), then I add him to the party (works fine), then I force an attack.  Right after his attack finishes, it errors out and gives me this error.

Script 'Sideview 1' line 277: NoMethodError occurred.
undefined method 'normal' for nil:NilClass

Now, if I don't force an action, but just add him to the party, no glitch.

Line 277 is:
Code:
    @repeat_action = @battler.normal

Gabriot":1qou7luy said:
Hey Kylock sorry for all the questions, but is there an array or hash list that contains IDs of the enemys that have a float animation by default? I know you can just go to the troop and make them float on turn 0 that way, but the problem there is that the enemy stand still for about a second then just jumps into the float animation (looks very taccy).

I just want to find out a way to make the floating look smooth...
Unfortunately no.  I believe that Float was included in the script as a spell effect and I don't think the original author had the intention to make it a permanent/static animation effect.

psymastr":1qou7luy said:
I found a glitch in the system.

I made a scripted battle, where a non-party member says text (works fine), then I add him to the party (works fine), then I force an attack.  Right after his attack finishes, it errors out and gives me this error.

Script 'Sideview 1' line 277: NoMethodError occurred.
undefined method 'normal' for nil:NilClass

Now, if I don't force an action, but just add him to the party, no glitch.

Line 277 is:
Code:
    @repeat_action = @battler.normal
I only translate the script, and provide what support I can.  For bugs, you should report to the original author.  This is why I kept the link in the original post.

All I can suggest is try to find a work around.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.