Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

True Pokemon Starter Kit

OK, say I changed Pidgey into Metagross with the Debug menu. And then I look at, say Gust and think 'Wait. Metagross doesn't know Gust', so I change it to, say Psychic. Can this be done?

poccil

Sponsor

The debug menu doesn't include a function for changing a Pokemon's moves yet; the method for changing a Pokemon's species intentionally does not affect its moves.

I can't even get on the kit. It says i need to download a font, and then doesn't let me do it. Any ideas?

Never Mind. If you run as an administrator (VISTA) tis all good.

I have a question about moves.

I've been adding different moves to a game a team I'm on is working on.  I've been able to guess a bit on how to use field 4, but can someone give me a nice explanation on how to use that field?  I've been able to do somethings, but I'd really like to make sure I'm doing things right.  (For example a kind of key on what number does what for the move... like  4 is fire... 5 is thunder.. 6 is ice... etc. (those i actually figured out i think...)

Example of a move I made in order to add some DS moves in:
356,FLAREBLITZ,FLARE BLITZ,C4,120,FIRE,Physical,100,15,100,00,0,ab,Smart,"The user cloaks themself in flames and charges at the foe. Causes recoil if the attack hits."

Did I do it right?

poccil

Sponsor

The fourth field (here, C4) is the function code for the move.  It has the meanings given in the attack list for Ruby and Sapphire moves.  In this case, the function code C4 means: "Base damage is determined by weight of the opponent's species."  Also look at the documentation for moves.txt, where all fields of that file are explained.

Adding new function codes for moves, however, requires a non-trivial modification to the battle system.  I can't give details on how to add such codes, unfortunately.

poccil

Sponsor

Admiral_Stalfos19:

Yes, the battle system's implementation differentiates between physical and special moves.  Edit the file moves.txt in the PBS folder to change a move's category.

Well, actually, some people are already making D/P moves over at PC (Pokecommunity), but not all, because that would mean changing the battle system itself. But the latter of the DP moves are done, you should ask someone over there. I don't think I'm allowed to link to other forums...? If I am, then I'll link you to the thread there, but yea, just google Pkmncommunity.

-Krobe

Wichu

Krobelus":14jx1l5e said:
Well, actually, some people are already making D/P moves over at PC (Pokecommunity)
That would be me :D. However, I'm not planning to release them to the public, since I want to keep it as a unique feature of my game.

I have fewer questions concerning about Pokemon Starter kit
1) How do you create a multiple grunt like your planning to put the baddies in the game?
2) When adding a new trainer type on trainername.txt. It shows it doesn't exist
and requires to create it.

I seems to like the starter kit. If he did give us extra briefing I would donate $5 mil to him :neutralface:

Krob, I add it properly but it said "Trainer type" not found upon testing the game

As for question no.1
How do you a mulitple grunts like you want to add "Insert Team something" here instead just renaming it <Something> but not grunt. Like you battle a different grunt with different pokemon :tongue:

@jrr Kein - If more than one Trainer with the same name and Trainer type is defined in this file, then there can follow a number (from 1 through 255) to distinguish them. In that case, the name and number are separated by a comma.

May you paste here what you put in the PBTrainers File?

-krobe

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.