Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

True Pokemon Starter Kit

I might be able to help you with the length of names, although not by much. This guide will allow you to increase pokemon names from 10 letters to 12: http://biancagames.com/guide_12letternames.htm

The reason I say not by much is because you probably want even more than 12 letters.

The thing is, if you want more than that, you'll need to make the font smaller somehow so the names don't go off of their allotted areas. I currently don't know how to make the font smaller, but if you do manage to be successful, you can still use my guide, but anywhere in the code where you see the number 12, make it a bigger number.

Okay, I got that fixed then. I changed it to a max of 25 characters (Jastogotbeatwithjastodoodoo, with 27, is being axed now) and it's way cool. When the names get really long they overlap other graphics, making it look like an old school missingno. or something. I'm hoping 25 will be long enough to go off the screen.

But anyways, here's whats left then:
I figured out how to add more evolution requirements, but I still would really be better off knowing how to make more trade-based ones.

Still trying to find out how I can change the pokedex saying "POKeMON" all the time, and adding a new stat that tells the game what type of collectible monster it is, so when you look up a monster's stats it'll say "SEED POKeMON," or "AMPHIBIAN DIGIMON" depending on that.

For now though, I'm good to start putting in the Ver. 2 Digimon.

Although I was wondering if anyone had a good set of animation graphics (for moves) that look like or are directly ripped from one of the Pokemon games?

hi ppl um... im a bit stuck wen i go to the web site i cant click on the pokestarter.zip link or anything else on the page besides the stuff on the left

Hello everyone. I've got a quick question. Is it possible to change the max level a pokemon can reach? I was hoping I could get help with this, since i'm working on a mash up of all games into one pretty much, only with my own twists and what not. And so I was hoping I could make it so that pokemon can reach level 500 or something insane like that so as to not have the game lose value for the player as it will be a long story, and there will be much much battling to do.

lnodiv

I recently stumbled upon this, and first I have to say thanks to poccil for such a great kit.
There are a few things I would like to incorporate into my game, and I'm not sure if they are possible or how to do them. Although, I think these are likely possible.
First, I was looking for a way to change a Pokemon's DV and EV values in-game (not in debug mode)
Second, a way to force a pokemon to evolve, even if the pre-requisites are not met.
Lastly, I was wanting to make a pokeball that could steal trainer's pokemon. I think I remember reading something about that previously in the topic, I'm going to search back now and take a look.

Here's something that could be very useful for adding something extra to your game. Poccil added the ability to download information from the internet some time ago so here's an easy way to implement it:

Code:
string=pbDownloadToString("http://www.mywebsite.com/info.txt")

data = []

string.each(',') {|s| data.push(s.delete(","))}

Make sure the info.txt is saved in UTF-8 format. Put all of your values on the same line separated only by comas.

EX:
Code:
KARPEDIEM,129,10

The end result is an array with all your values as strings. What's the point of that? Well what if in your game, you could get a special "gift" Pokemon that changes every week or so?

Code:
pbAddForeignPokemon(data[1].to_i,data[2].to_i,_("U Division"),_(data[0]))

"U Division" is the name of the previous owner.
data[1].to_i = 129, which is Magikarp's number
data[2].to_i = 10, which is the level he'll start at
data[0] = is the nickname. Notice, it's already a string so it does not need the ".to_i" to convert it to an integer.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.