Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

True Pokemon Starter Kit

Hi everyone, i am working on a project, but i ran into a problem and found out this forum and saw that many of you help each other : )

The thing is, i want the trainer not to be able to go out of the town with a gym until he has done the gym itself..

The gym one code is: http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/3349/gym1code.jpg

So what should be the code for the event to not be able to get out of the town ?

Thank you all

You can do this by activating a switch in the Maker itself. When you get into town of whatnot, then turn switch ____ on. Then at the entrences of the map, when player tries to leave, make an event that turns on when switch ____ is on. On that event, makes sure the player takes one step backwards when he/she touches it. After you beat the gym, tthen just turn the switch off. If you want, Ill show you a pic.

^_^

That's what i done for exiting the first village if the player doesn't have a pokemon yet, but i can't seem to do it for this Gym thingy :(

Could you help me with it ? I don't know much about scripting either so it's hard..

Thank you again mate

Vaskituh, Ill Pm you because honestly, they way im going to show you has nothing to do with the pokemon kit. There might be a way that I dont know, if someone knows one, then please chime in.

gameguy27":3p09x7z2 said:
has anyone successfully setup a server? I need help doing it.

I got it successfully set up (minus the port forwarding grrrrr!) but it's been several months now so I don't remember much and can't help you... sorry :(

How do i add battles, or how to i make my own trainers, no one gave me a tutorial on how to EDIT trainers, and how you edit the Wild Pokemon, also how do you add Talk-With-Pokemon Battles?

Most of the stuff you asked can be found in notes.html (in the game's folder). To add talk with pokemon battles (like legendaries?), look at my post about a page ago:

Nim the Dialga":2935ur8m said:
gameguy27":2935ur8m said:
How do we setup legendary battles? Like in most pokemon games you talk to the pokemon then battle commences. How do we do this?

Here's what I did.

legendevent545454.PNG

to make it so the legend event disappears afterwards, put "control self switch A - ON" inside the conditional branch. then make a new page, leave it blank and with no graphic, but put "self switch A is on" as a condition.

also, the control switch number 50 actions are not needed.

I have a big problem ! Basically i have everything ready until gym 3, absolutely everything but i got this problem, basically if i change all the trainers and everything even in the gyms, it will work perfectly in the game.exe, but if i run the game through RPG Maker XP it will reset all trainers to what they were in the beggining (before me changing their text, names, etc).

Please help me

PS: If i use the editor it changes back to the old trainers, etc too

:smile: :grin: :biggrin: :sad: :eek:: :mad: :barf: :lol: :haha: :huh: :kiss: :blush: :|: :wink:
:shades: :blank: :cute: :unsure: :cry: :pissed: :tongue: :crazy: :down: :shock: :thumb:
:dead: :eek:uch: :toot: :cheers: :fap: :angel: :devil: :boo: :girl: :smoke: :box: :specs:

Smiley test.....

anyways can someone please help me setup a server? Please?

misk

Thanks for this post i am making my own game and system but this might help me point the right way :biggrin: thanks

FromFinland":2gqon1sx said:
How DO You Change Game Starting Position Like Your Own Made Player House? ;D

On the map called intro, there is an event that you must edit. DO NOT do "change starting position" or move the square with the "S" on it. that is incorrect, you must do it another way. instead, the intro map has another event (it's a blank square & kinda hard to see; I think it's in the corner). Right click it, click "edit". scroll all the way down, you should see "transfer player". right click that, click "edit", and from there you should be able to change where the player goes after the intro event.

i downloaded it but i only got a winrar.part file?????can anyone help....

This pretty much can only mean one thing.... the download wasn't completed.

Nim the Dialga":nf6382k6 said:
Most of the stuff you asked can be found in notes.html (in the game's folder). To add talk with pokemon battles (like legendaries?), look at my post about a page ago:

Nim the Dialga":nf6382k6 said:
gameguy27":nf6382k6 said:
How do we setup legendary battles? Like in most pokemon games you talk to the pokemon then battle commences. How do we do this?

Here's what I did.

legendevent545454.PNG

to make it so the legend event disappears afterwards, put "control self switch A - ON" inside the conditional branch. then make a new page, leave it blank and with no graphic, but put "self switch A is on" as a condition.

also, the control switch number 50 actions are not needed.

Thank you, it worked.

Pier90

While playtesting I got the following error:
Exception: NameError
Message: uninitialized constant PokemonMenu::PokemonScreen_Scene
PokemonMenu:144:in `pbStartPokemonMenu'
PokemonMenu:132:in `loop'
PokemonMenu:231:in `pbStartPokemonMenu'
Scene_Map:183:in `call_menu'
Scene_Map:157:in `update'
Scene_Map:67:in `main'
Scene_Map:64:in `loop'
Scene_Map:71:in `main'
Main:52:in `mainFunctionDebug'
Main:27:in `mainFunction'
What's wrong, since I haven't changed this script?
I already copied the original scripts into the game, but it didn't work.

EDIT: Already solved. Just a misspelled word...

Hey cool! I'm somehow registered now!

So I'm doing a slightly ambitious project (ambitious in size, not really difficult though) that is a mash-em-up of a bunch of different collectible monsters. Pokemon, Digimon, Jastolons (another thing I made up), Pokethulhu, and Tamagothi's are all in this trippy world and you just go catch them. No real rules... but like 30 "gym leaders", so there's that.

Anyways, this means there are alot of pokemon specific things I need to make more generic, but I don't know how. Here are a few things to see if someone bites:
- The game refuses to start if a monster's name is more than 10 characters. Now, normally, I could abbreviate things, but when you get into Hercules Kabuterimon and Jastogotbeatwithjastodoodoo, even abbreviating, if it WERE an option, which it isn't, probably wouldn't help. How do I remove this ridiculous restriction? Digimon have long names, this can't be helped.
- Missingno. doesn't work normally for two reasons: 1. the period in his name spits out an error. 2. I can't make him 000, on the count of I get another error. Right now I got him without the period and at 256, but it's kind of annoying. If this can be fixed, then I need to do it. Also, why wasn't Missingno. in the game to begin with? It came with like 400 things that aren't pokemon, so why bother ommiting my second favoritest of all pogemans?
- The pokedex: how do I make it not say "POKEMON" for every single dang thing? Can I fix it so that I give each monster a switch that the Pokedex uses to identify each one as a Digimon, Tamagothi, etc.? Can I change the name of it in the in-game menus? Maybe Jastolononomicon is a bit long, but just "Dex" might work... This is less of a deal to me than the other things, but I want this game to look as polished as possible when I'm done, so calling Metal Greymon a pokemon is just shameful.
- Evolutions. Again, this is only a problem because of those way-overly-complicated Digimon, but the number of presets is simply not enough. I've already copied over the custom fields and those other ones that seemed useless and confusing like "Cascoon" and "Beauty," whatever that means, but I still need more. How can I add new sets of evolution criteria first, and then how can I make more that rely on trading? It's equal to Jogress in this game, and I know Greymon jogresses into at least Ultimates, but too many items can get goofy. It ought to rely on his happiness or effort points during the trade.

Thats all I really need to know right now, but there are two things I've been wondering about:
1. Why doesn't the Bird/Glitch/???/99||9/Pokemaniac type show up on the type chart? It doesn't need to for my purposes because that type is exactly equal to the Jastolon type Theropod, which also has no strengths or weaknesses, but it's just curious is all. Would there be a way to give Bird types strengths and such?
2. These effort points are a neat idea, although I don't remember them from any pokemon games, it makes Digimon assimilation much easier. That said, are they cummulative through an individual or an individual monster? I mean, if my Greymon becomes a Metal Greymon with 60ep (just like old times), does that same creature need the full 80ep or just 20ep to become a Mega? Or if my rookie built up alot of ep, and then traded for an ultimate after it digivolves, and it has like... you get what i'm asking, right?

I feel like this is running a little long, and I've asked everything that's really bugging me so far, so...
okay so thanks in advance for all the help.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.