Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

True Pokemon Starter Kit

*crosses bridge*

Okay... that was easy o.o. I think I figured it out, you just edit the Phone Numbers.txt and it'll use any of those listed for all trainers that rebattle.

For example:

The greetings, are like so:
Code:
[<Greetings>]
Hello.  This is \TN.
Good day, \PN!  Hi.  This is \TN.
How are you doing? \PN, howdy!  This is \TN.  Isn't it nice out?
\PN, good day!  It's me, \TN.  Got a minute?
Hello, \PN.  This is \TN.  How are things?

Under Greetings, you will find a bunch of different sentances, and those are what the trainers say. They will randomly pick which one to use, and use that with a randomly chosen body:
Code:
[<Bodies1>]
How are your Pokemon doing?\mMy \TP's really energetic.  It's a handful!
How are your Pokemon doing?\mI always keep my \TP in top shape by going to Pokemon Centers.
My \TP's looking really awesome.  I wish I could show you.
I dressed my \TP and it looks even cuter than before.

So when you set up a trainer that rebattles, and that you add their phone numbers with in game, they will eventually phone you, saying randomly any of those sentences up top there, and it works for all trainers that phone you. And you can add as many sentences as you want. And it will choose which to say. And I'm sure the \TP and \TN are self explanatory. If not just ask.

So yea, that's pretty much it. Btw, I'm totally guessing how this works, but by the looks of it, I'm pretty sure I'm right, and if Poccil could verify that would be good too.

[Off-Topic] Finally! We made a new page -.-... Other one was getting annoyingly long.[/Off-Topic]

-Krobe

@Gir - You know what? To be honest, I have no clue. I looked at a trainer in the starter kit, and it's hard to figure it out. So many variables etc. etc. I wish Poccil would clarify it in detail. =/  Sorry.

-Krobe

Krobelus":11rp2wvg said:
@Gir - You know what? To be honest, I have no clue. I looked at a trainer in the starter kit, and it's hard to figure it out. So many variables etc. etc. I wish Poccil would clarify it in detail. =/  Sorry.

-Krobe
Hey man, NP. I spent all day looking at this thing (literally, since like 12:30am today), and I can do lots with it now, but still not sure how the phone works. Thanks for your help though :)

You can always wing it by copying that one trainer that wants your phone number, and edit it as you please, but keeping the important stuff. And your welcome =)

-Krobe

Damn..that's some confusing shit; no wonder he didn't make a manual for it. I'm starting to figure it out though, I'll post my own manual for it in this thread once I have everything completely figured out.

Edit: While we are at it, would you mind explaining exactly how the day night system works? Thanks a bunch.

Basically the day/night (well, actually it's different setting for different times of the day, including morning and evening etc. etc.) is automatic, and in Metadata.txt, automatically each map is considered inside, so you would have to edit your maps in that file, and put outside or whatever it says that makes that map count towards outside. And then the Day/Night will go automatically to your computer clock.

-Krobe

Krobelus":3p8unje1 said:
Basically the day/night (well, actually it's different setting for different times of the day, including morning and evening etc. etc.) is automatic, and in Metadata.txt, automatically each map is considered inside, so you would have to edit your maps in that file, and put outside or whatever it says that makes that map count towards outside. And then the Day/Night will go automatically to your computer clock.

-Krobe

So it's based off of internal time? Dude. This (the whole starter kit) may be the most revolutionary thing to rmxp since Trickster...this is the most fun I've had making maps ever, I bet I'll accidently make a full game just by all the time I'm putting into this, haha. Thanks so much!

Hey, don't thank me, thank Poccil. He started it. I just wish I could donate money to whatever he's saving up for. o.o

Also, when you figure out the phoning trainers, post here yea? It'll help other people out as well.

-Krobe

Will do, also just a hypothetical but..if there was a fan based game that has just as much content as the real pokemon games, would you expect it to be a hit?

Edit: Well I honestly figured it out now, it's a bitch to do (kinda)..however its 1 am and I'm way too lazy to post a tutorial here..so I'll do it tomorrow. Later!
Edit2: Why are all moves available (HM) even when there isn't a pokemon with that move in my party? How do I fix this? Thank you for your help.

@Gir - Well, if you look in the completed games/demos forums, you'll see my Pokemon game there. Hard to miss too. And I'll be expecting a tut tomorrow =) And what do you mean? Your edit 2 I mean.

-Krobe

Ill post the tutorial a bit late, when i actually have my computer to do it on. (on my ps3) but you can do al the moves like cut and surf even when no one in your party knows how to do it. How do you fix that?

Edit: Tutorial:
First off, go check trainers.txt; make sure the name has a comma then rebattle number
(Example:
HIKER
Dan,1 <-- means first rebattle)
Then, make sure the battle begin comment has a duplicate, and the number the comment comes in is the speech he will give for that battle, not to mention it is what enables rebattles (iknow, wierd right)
After that, basically just check out the sample event in the demo, to see how exactly rebattles will occur.
Heres a little bit of a key to help you out:
*pbPhoneRegisterBattle(get_character(0),PBTrainers::trainertype,"trainername",numberofbattlestotal)  <- use this to register the trainer's phone number
*pbPhoneBattleCount(PBTrainers::trainertype,"trainername")>=rebattlenumber    <- This is the conditional that checks the REbattle number, after he challenges you to a rebattle.
*pbPhoneIncrement(PBTrainers::trainertype,"trainername",rebattlenumber) <- Not exactly sure what this does, but it helps check which battle is going to happen.

So theres a "brief" description on how it works, ask me a question and I'll try my best to help you out.

Thanks, I'll look more into it myself later on. Thanks for giving me an idea on how to work it.

Also, to answer your problem, are you sure your not in Test Play mode? o.o

-Krobe

It's alright. When I play tested, I thought a bunch of stuff that were there, would be in my real game, but it wasn't. So it's all good. =P

-Krobe

WARNING: To anyone making new pokemon, the guide is WRONG. Make the battler sizes 128x128, not 64x64. Make the icon size 128x64, however. Also, make sure it is .PNG. I had to learn all this shit myself...Poccil may be a god, but his guide is utter shit :mad:

Edit: Do you know how to remove pokemon? It's kinda vital for my game, hehe.

sai123

how do you make pokemon battles? like what I mean is trainer vs. legendary or rare pokemon. ex: Player vs. suicune?
thanks for the help!
:thumb:

i wish you would really read the manual, before posting..but whatever, heres the answer directly copied from the notes.
call pbWildBattle(X,Y,V,C) where X is the species number of the Pokemon, and Y is its level. See PBSpecies for species IDs. The optional parameter V represents the number of a variable to store the result of the battle (1=won; 3=escaped; 4=caught), and the optional parameter C is true if the player can escape from the battle.

Edit: Also, how do you suppose you could check how many pokemon are owned (species, not quanity).
Edit2: NVM, figured it out.
Edit3: Damn, I wish people would post more often...I'm getting tired of editting. Anyway, how does the density work exactly?

Sorry to seem like a noob; how do I add Gym Badges?

I've tried ten times adding Roxanne as a trainer and stuff, it generates everything into event page. Then I edit it to have
$Trainer.badges[0]=true
as a script before the Self Switch thing, and it doesn't work no matter what I try. I turn game back on through rpgmaker, compiles, but I goto fight her, win, and no badge. Is there something i'm doing wrong?

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.