Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

True Pokemon Starter Kit

Banshou":10wnuyr2 said:
Sorry to seem like a noob; how do I add Gym Badges?

I've tried ten times adding Roxanne as a trainer and stuff, it generates everything into event page. Then I edit it to have
$Trainer.badges[0]=true
as a script before the Self Switch thing, and it doesn't work no matter what I try. I turn game back on through rpgmaker, compiles, but I goto fight her, win, and no badge. Is there something i'm doing wrong?
$Traner.badges[1]=true

Try that, it should work

Virtual Chatot":1x1wl0gj said:
Banshou":1x1wl0gj said:
Sorry to seem like a noob; how do I add Gym Badges?

I've tried ten times adding Roxanne as a trainer and stuff, it generates everything into event page. Then I edit it to have
$Trainer.badges[0]=true
as a script before the Self Switch thing, and it doesn't work no matter what I try. I turn game back on through rpgmaker, compiles, but I goto fight her, win, and no badge. Is there something i'm doing wrong?
$Traner.badges[1]=true

Try that, it should work

I actually got it working. It was supposed to be 0 as 0 is the first badge. lol, I had to make it a normal event, not a trainer.

Is it possible to change the starter kit/make it work for a game where you are a Pokemon? It would still have battles, but differently - you wouldn't have a 'party', only yourself, and an altered battle system (now that I'm thinking about it, similar to Minkoff's) would be better. How would to do this?

Necrile":2e74qtqm said:
Damn..that's some confusing shit; no wonder he didn't make a manual for it. I'm starting to figure it out though, I'll post my own manual for it in this thread once I have everything completely figured out.

Edit: While we are at it, would you mind explaining exactly how the day night system works? Thanks a bunch.
There is a manual! Notes has everything you need. EVERYONE WHO HAS A QUESTION READ NOTES BEFORE POSTING!!! :)

Do you know how to remove pokemon? It's kinda vital for my game, hehe. In Notes...

how do you make pokemon battles? like what I mean is trainer vs. legendary or rare pokemon. ex: Player vs. In Notes...

Blaa Blaa Blaa. If you cannot read, go back to school, if you can then read, and stop asking questions you could find out for yourself!

Two questions:

Is it possible to have the player name a trainer like your rival in the Gameboy games?

Are there any plans to add more graphics or music in the future?

Alan, the starter kit is not supposed to make the game for you, if you want to have a rival, you are going to hafta make it through your own events and storyline. As for graphics and music, you can either rip them or google it. Good luck.

Necrile":31v523fw said:
Alan, the starter kit is not supposed to make the game for you, if you want to have a rival, you are going to hafta make it through your own events and storyline.
I'm not asking for events or storyline. I want to know if I can give the player the option to name their rival themself instead of just having a default name like "Gary."

poccil

Sponsor

alanthreonus:

Within an event, you can use this Script event command (assuming that 10 is the variable you want to use):

Code:
$game_variables[10]=
pbEnterText("Gary",1,7)

Then modify the script section PokemonTrainers by adding the lines in bold (the following is from lines 14 to 16), assuming that the Trainer's trainer type is RIVAL and the Trainer's name is "???":
  name=pbGetMessageFromHash(MessageTypes::TrainerNames,name)
  if trainerid==PBTrainers::RIVAL && trainername=="???"
    name=$game_variables[10] # Replace 10 with the variable number for the name
  end

opponent=PokeBattle_Trainer.new(name,thistrainerid)
The code above replaces the name "???" with the name the player gave.
The advantage of this approach is that the rival's name can be displayed in any Text event command using the command "\v[10]".

Hello, I have a question about the online server in this thing. I followed the instructions in "serversetup.html", upto the point where I am supposed to run "main.rb". Whenever I try to run it, it shows some text, then terminates. Does anyone know what the problem is or how I can fix this?

Also another question I have is that I'm wondering if pokemon that I added to the starter kit will show up on other users' screens in online trades and battles?

boon

Sponsor

Nim the Dialga":1e3ysbq2 said:
Hello, I have a question about the online server in this thing. I followed the instructions in "serversetup.html", upto the point where I am supposed to run "main.rb". Whenever I try to run it, it shows some text, then terminates. Does anyone know what the problem is or how I can fix this?

Also another question I have is that I'm wondering if pokemon that I added to the starter kit will show up on other users' screens in online trades and battles?

1. What text is it showing? It could be anything, even an irrelevent script.

2. You can only trade and battle on games connected to the same server. Since your game is running it's own server,  anyone with the copy of the game will see it. It's not like you can connect to all the Pokémon games online.

boon

Sponsor

It means that It cannot find the database netplay_p_b. Also, a variable was not initialized. Are you sure you put in all the information correctly?

When you ask if I put in all the information correctly, in what place do you mean? I don't think the instructions said to configure any information. Can you please explain more please?

Also another thing of note, I'm not sure what the text in mysql is supposed to look like when it's working properly. Because if mysql isn't working properly, then maybe that is why main.rb won't work. Is this what mysql is supposed to look like?:

http://biancagames.com/sql545454.GIF[/img]

edit: one other question. It's about moves.txt. There's a field for a percent chance of an added effect, well how do you decide what that added effect actually is, whether its poison or confuse or whatever?

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.