Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

True Pokemon Starter Kit

Shikamaru88":z3hn9myu said:
@rub122 you need to ask your self is it compatible with all the other scripts in the game and am i putting in the right spot... and you could also check if you left a simple symbol out....

would this be done through a mutiplayer system/engine or just 2 players at home
The most "2 Player Scripts" are made for "normal" RPGMaker Games, this Starterkit is pretty different. If you look closely, you'll see that it works without the rmxp database.

I also wonder if it's somehow possible to make an own script for ditto, because he can't copy the enemy sprites. I know that this would be an assload of work, but I wonder if it's possible (I'm not that good at scripting).

Shikamaru88":13eiqhl2 said:
everything you want to change in battle it must be done in the scripts.... if i'm not mistaken then again i could be...

well i know that much but what do I put into the script? Also How do I make it so that it shows the animations where the enemy graphic slides across the screen, like on the elite 4?

I think I discovered a problem in the common animations system. I was hit by shadowball, and my special defense was lowered, but the "Common:StatDown" animation didn't show. I decided to find out how the showing of those animations was programmed so I could fix it, it turned out to be in the move function classes in "pokebattle_moveeffects". Anyway, I discovered that classes 44,45,46,47,48,49, which were all stat lowering classes, did not show the animation.

to fix this, go to the classes, and they'll have the following code:

Code:
return opponent.pbReduceStat(PBStats::nameofstat,1,false)
("nameofstat" will be attack, defense, spdef, spatk, speed, or accuracy)
above each of them, put
Code:
@battle.pbCommonAnimation("StatDown",opponent,nil)
I did this and it was fixed for me.

Poccil, I recommend that you fix this in the next version.

Please note, I haven't looked at all the move function classes, there could be more that don't display the stat up/down animations, but I don't know for sure.

I have a question. Sorry if this has been asked before, is there any way to have pokemon contests?

Also nim the dialga, you seem to be pretty good at scripting. can you tell me if its possible to add animations for raining, snowing, sandstorm, etc. in battle. I asked this before and didn't get a very thorough answer...

tellet

This sure is a great starter kit! I think I will make a full game (Don't know when it will be done thou, lol)

I've been playing around with it alittle now, and have a few questions.

1. Is it possible to get another Pokedex? Since the current one looks alittle weird acording to me.. and I'm not a scripting person -_-

2. I also noticed you have to make new Battle Animations.

One example...

I'm trying to change the "Tackle" animation, by making my pokemon move a bit forward before the striking picture.
It works when I check each frame, but when I play the whole animation I don't get my Pokemon to move :(

(Yes I have my Pokemon unlocked)

Here's the name of my Project :)

http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/6198/53037868nb4.jpg[/img]

vavalar":2jrv9kc4 said:
I have a question. Sorry if this has been asked before, is there any way to have pokemon contests?

Also nim the dialga, you seem to be pretty good at scripting. can you tell me if its possible to add animations for raining, snowing, sandstorm, etc. in battle. I asked this before and didn't get a very thorough answer...

Sorry, I don't know. Possibly try "Common:Sandstorm" but it wasn't mentioned in the notes so it probably won't work. But then again, "Common:Poison" wasn't mentioned but like the other statuses, it works. Thanks for the compliment, but I'm not really that good. I'm just okay/so-so. I can tweak things often, but I can't make a full blown new script like poccil and maybe some others can. :)

edit: (new subject) I've discovered that "scene_Movie" script doesn't work for me. It seems to recognize the file and plays it, but the picture doesn't show, I just see whatever was going on in pokemon before the movie, which pauses until the movie is done. I'm not sure if the movie's sound plays because my movie is silent. My goal is to play the movie IN BATTLE, but I've also tested it on the field and it does the same thing. Can someone please help me?

edit: I fixed it. If you want to fix it as well, use a .wmv file instead of a .avi. Avi files just seem to have too many formatting issues. In the scene_movies script, change the file extension ".avi" to ".wmv" so it will recognize the .wmv file.

I do however get an error after a battle if I use the attack that shows the movie, but at least it plays right. I use my game mostly to make videos with, so an after the fact error isn't too bad. But if someone knows how to properly use that script for a battle,I'd appriciate their help.

Ok well.. If anybodys offer to help people is still good... than I have some questions that I couldnt answer myself.

Ok I started making a pokemon game using the essentials here and it is going really great.... lol and I wanted to know a few things that are hunting me like crazy! and those are:

1) I want to know how to change the fishing sprite. I got my sprites fishing pic, named it fishing000.. I put it in the right spot... but it still downt show.... it show the same animation it did before.

2) I cant figure out how to put a running sprite into the game.

3) surfing sprites... I also have no idea..... :/

4) bicycle sprite..... " "

5) when I tried to put in the running sprite my own way... [this means with events and such] it didnt work... I used conditional branch to check if the player was pressing z................ or a...

sorry if this questions have been asked but I cant find them... most of my questions involve sprites.. and since the sprite is important in any game.. its eating my insides... so to anyone that helps me.. I thank you very much.

rodascesar1":1wtycknb said:
Ok well.. If anybodys offer to help people is still good... than I have some questions that I couldnt answer myself.

Ok I started making a pokemon game using the essentials here and it is going really great.... lol and I wanted to know a few things that are hunting me like crazy! and those are:

1) I want to know how to change the fishing sprite. I got my sprites fishing pic, named it fishing000.. I put it in the right spot... but it still downt show.... it show the same animation it did before.

5) when I tried to put in the running sprite my own way... [this means with events and such] it didnt work... I used conditional branch to check if the player was pressing z................ or a...

sorry if this questions have been asked but I cant find them... most of my questions involve sprites.. and since the sprite is important in any game.. its eating my insides... so to anyone that helps me.. I thank you very much.

I dont know about the fishing sprite but in the PBS folder open metadata.txt

In the sections that say PlayerA and PlayerB you can edit the different sprites. heres an example:

PlayerA=PkMnTRAINER_Male,Red,onbike,trback,surf,run,dive

You can edit this accordingly:

PkMnTRAINER_Male=Name of Trainer Type
Red=Name of trainer normal sprite in Graphics/Characters
Onbike=Name of biking sprite in Graphics/Characters
trback=Name of in battle trainer back sprite in Graphics/Pictures
surf=Name of surfing sprite in Graphics/Characters
run=Name of running sprite in Graphics/Characters
dive=Name of diving sprite in Graphics/Characters

I hope this helps.

tellet":3iioblka said:
This sure is a great starter kit! I think I will make a full game (Don't know when it will be done thou, lol)

I've been playing around with it alittle now, and have a few questions.

1. Is it possible to get another Pokedex? Since the current one looks alittle weird acording to me.. and I'm not a scripting person -_-

2. I also noticed you have to make new Battle Animations.

One example...

I'm trying to change the "Tackle" animation, by making my pokemon move a bit forward before the striking picture.
It works when I check each frame, but when I play the whole animation I don't get my Pokemon to move :(

(Yes I have my Pokemon unlocked)

Here's the name of my Project :)

http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/6198/53037868nb4.jpg[/img]

Hey! I was using the name Pokemon Amethyst! Oh well back to the name thinking...  :down:

vavalar":19iswe74 said:
rodascesar1":19iswe74 said:

I dont know about the fishing sprite but in the PBS folder open metadata.txt

In the sections that say PlayerA and PlayerB you can edit the different sprites. heres an example:

PlayerA=PkMnTRAINER_Male,Red,onbike,trback,surf,run,dive

You can edit this accordingly:

PkMnTRAINER_Male=Name of Trainer Type
Red=Name of trainer normal sprite in Graphics/Characters
Onbike=Name of biking sprite in Graphics/Characters
trback=Name of in battle trainer back sprite in Graphics/Pictures
surf=Name of surfing sprite in Graphics/Characters
run=Name of running sprite in Graphics/Characters
dive=Name of diving sprite in Graphics/Characters

I hope this helps.

Hey thank you very much vavalar! I apriciated! :D maybe I will have the honor to put my game here one day... 

Hello, I just got the online server to work on one computer, but I can't get my other computer to connect to it. Can someone please tell me how to forward my ports and how to figure out what my computer's port numbers even are? If you think it's off-topic you can PM me, but please keep it beginner friendly and not all geeky, because I have never set up a server before. thanks. :)

edit: I've almost got the server working, I got hamachi and all that stuff. I think all that is left is forwarding my ports. I'm having trouble figuring out which router I have so that I can follow the indtructions on the port forwarding page.

hey I cant help you so Im sorry about that...

but I need help of my own..
ok well I made an event in which a person leaves and the other follows a few seconds later... but the second person gets stuck 1 step before the exit... how can I fix this without making the 1st character make a ackward move before leaving.

my second problem is that Im trying to make a lab where you pick a pokemon and the other trainer battles you with the opposite. like firered.... but Im having huge problems that I cant figure out.. do I have to change the idea out? or is there a way to make it work... I cant really explain the problem because I dont know what it is.. I dont even know if Im doing it right.

another problem Im facing is.. that I would like to add d/p moves to the game... but I dont know where to start.. and where would I have to put the script for it to work properly? I have never scripted before but this might be a learning experience....  I guess thats all the problems I have for now.... thanks to anyone that responds...

To add d/p moves to the game:

- edit PBS/moves.txt, which is pretty easy. check serebii.net for their power, accuracy, etc

- You'll have to make your own animations. This would be hard for me, but it might not be hard for you, idk

- some moves require scripting in the script "pokebattle_moveeffects". please don't ask me how to do them. :)

- edit pokemon.txt and tms.txt to allow the pokemon to learn those moves. this info can also be found on serebii.

All in all, it would probably require a good amount of work, and a good amount of skill both at scripting and animations. Probably not something I could do.

Hey thanks a lot! :D that makes everything a little more clear :P

I got one more thing to ask for now... everytime I start the game the thing says it cant install the fonts... so I have to wait about a minute everytime I wanna play my game... so I would like to know how to fix this since I wouldnt want the players of my game to do the same.

thanks.

rodascesar1":y2xnriko said:
Hey thanks a lot! :D that makes everything a little more clear :P

I got one more thing to ask for now... everytime I start the game the thing says it cant install the fonts... so I have to wait about a minute everytime I wanna play my game... so I would like to know how to fix this since I wouldnt want the players of my game to do the same.

thanks.

I got this once when I tried copying my game to another computer, but I only got it once. For me I only had to install the fonts once, then after that I wouldn't have to do it anymore. If that isn't the case for you, I wouldn't know what to do, sorry. :)

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.