Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

The Screenshot Thread 2

The birds also need to be a little faster. Like when doves or pigeons take off it's more or less going straight from stillness to flight, which takes a lot of momentum.

See this for an example in under two seconds.

If they took off at that speed they'd plummet back to earth before even getting a foot off the ground.

Oh, right. New faces!
j8CXWi9.png

E9aNfo8.png

That are not forced to look like shit.

Princess Amy":c4m2859v said:
screencap2.gif

Creating a living town.

- Pigeons follow you around
- People move from place to place
- Workers gonna work
- Folks come out of, and go into, buildings, or walk off the scene if you're there long enough

A few tileset errors, will fix.
I don't think that having the birds follow you is a good idea, that would get really annoying if they're constantly blocking you off. That is a pretty tight-space map.

The animation is cool, though, so you should keep it. Just maybe have the birds perched on ledges, allowing the player to shoo them if they wish. Might even be a good place to hide items, like "The bird was sat on something? It's a Potion!" or whatever.

Well, it's kind of the point - she's happy to get out of there. The birds obstruct you kinda but you only have to walk into them to scatter them off. (Might get rid of the "shoo!" message so you don't need to press anything, you just kind of kick them out of the way).

I'm not sure if this is just silly. I don't like it and it will be replaced by a better scene later on.

trip.gif

Princess Amy":2z7y1xhz said:
I'm not sure if this is just silly. I don't like it and it will be replaced by a better scene later on.

trip.gif
Contract bluxxon for the tripping out section.
Kappa.png

I think the flashing seems out of place compared to the graphic style though - there's a lot of colour when tripping, so maybe a black flash or no flash?

I think I'm going to remake it, and move it further into the game. I think it's too much for the player this soon.

But yeah thanks, flashing will go.

Second attempt. This is a different village from further into the game. I thought it would be too much to reveal so early on.

Still not entirely happy. Sound will help.

thisisalonggif.gif

I mean, it's a pretty big spoiler I suppose, but as this is a dev community: basically everything that happens in the game is an analogy for what's happening in her real life. It's a little more than that, and more complicated. There are further twists, all over the place. But in short, this scene is pretty obviously her being shared by the guys in a drugs den in return for said drugs... I hope that's partly obvious but also subtle enough.

In short, the main character is a heroin addict who is living in a modern day dystopia, who has created a whole world in her head to hide away from what's happening in her actual life.

Holy crap amy you might as well make videos at this point, lmao.

That's looking hype, definitely ask Bluxxon for help with the trippy shit, he's king at it.

In other news, this is finished.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DsHE6MSznY
My Mum voices the Mail Lady, my Stepdad is the voice of Saxxis, there's others too, all in video description.

Your animated town is really nice looking!! It definitely makes it come to life.

ps I just got RPG Maker again so expect some stuff from me soon.

Princess Amy":2fcppho0 said:
Second attempt. This is a different village from further into the game. I thought it would be too much to reveal so early on.

thisisalonggif.gif

I mean, it's a pretty big spoiler I suppose, but as this is a dev community: basically everything that happens in the game is an analogy for what's happening in her real life. It's a little more than that, and more complicated. There are further twists, all over the place. But in short, this scene is pretty obviously her being shared by the guys in a drugs den in return for said drugs... I hope that's partly obvious but also subtle enough.

In short, the main character is a heroin addict who is living in a modern day dystopia, who has created a whole world in her head to hide away from what's happening in her actual life.
I feel like you should be able to do this more subtly. The way it looks now is just completely at odds with how the rest of the game looks, and it just doesn't fit IMO. Especially the word-art-esque text, but I have a personal bias against that style because I never think it looks good.

Sated":3v5imsl5 said:
Princess Amy":3v5imsl5 said:

thisisalonggif.gif

I feel like you should be able to do this more subtly. The way it looks now is just completely at odds with how the rest of the game looks, and it just doesn't fit IMO. Especially the word-art-esque text, but I have a personal bias against that style because I never think it looks good.
I really like it, how it contrasts against everything else in the game. It makes it seem alien and out of place, which is the idea if you're trying to show someone is tripping out.

Sated":3qskyrx8 said:
I feel like you should be able to do this more subtly. The way it looks now is just completely at odds with how the rest of the game looks, and it just doesn't fit IMO.
I also prefer the subtle approach to these kinds of subtexts.

Like the ending of the shining, when you feel like you've been given all the pieces to solve the puzzle but you have no idea what to do next so you're like "eh".

If the whole game was set in a fantasy world with weird shit happening and then right at the end the hero is shown passed out in a modern apartment with needles everywhere then that's a cool ending to me.

mRn87xQ.gif
9LrxDk2.gif

I really need a better GIF capture program. Anyway, I'm working on Riot Grrrl's animations again, trying to do at least one weapon's worth of skills a day. About 17 more to go now!

I'd probably write a GIF video renderer myself because I'm like that :haha:

I'm actually looking into video output streaming tech right now. I had this idea a while ago for being able to render 2 different UIs for the stream; one that the streamer sees and one that the audience sees, customised with webcam(s), chat, timer splits, etc.

A low resolution GIF output should be easy to add. I would probably make a console command that starts recording the scene's animation timeline then another command that replays the recording, rendering to GIF/video/audio. A small component of my current work tech involves the PMX model format, so a side goal would include being able to render out MMD style music videos.

I'm actually looking into video output streaming tech right now. I had this idea a while ago for being able to render 2 different UIs for the stream; one that the streamer sees and one that the audience sees, customised with webcam(s), chat, timer splits, etc.
I thought that programs like OBS and Xsplit already allowed you to do these things?

Sated":1i41mqih said:
I thought that programs like OBS and Xsplit already allowed you to do these things?
They only display the game's final rendered frame, can't do customised game UI, so the player can't display FBO0 to themselves but submit FBO1 to OBS.

You need to make a split context on a new process to achieve it and even then you need to somehow have that context as the focus.

Also OBS isn't on mobile, part of this is being able to stream app footage from mobile to another device.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.