Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

The Screenshot Thread 2

Here's a bit of a "Yay" moment;
4ShcIp9.png

Ages ago my first attempt at OpenGL rendering in RM started with drawing a triangle to the title screen, well now I can draw anything.

This is a test of the mesh rendering API I've been working on.
Here's a rundown of how it works;

Ruby:
#--------------------------------------------------------------------------

# * Initialise

# Set how vertex data is read by shader

shader_material.SetAttributeIndex( "vertex_position", 0 )

shader_material.SetAttributeIndex( "vertex_colour", 1 )

# Make mesh in memory [ x, y, r, g, b ]

cpu_mesh = [ -0.5, -0.5, 1.0, 0.0, 0.0, 

0.5, -0.5, 1.0, 1.0, 0.0, 

0.5,  0.5, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 

-0.5,  0.5, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0 ]

# Upload mesh to GPU memory as Vertex Buffer Object

gpu_mesh = VertexBuffer.Alloc

gpu_mesh.UploadVertexArray( cpu_mesh )

gpu_mesh.DescribeBuffer( 4, [2, 3] ) # 4 vertices with 2 positions and 3 colours

# * Update

# Activate shader

shader_material.UseProgram

# Render VBO as a triangle fan

gpu_mesh.DrawArrays( VertexBuffer::DRAW_TRIANGLE_FAN )

# * Dispose

# Destroy vertex memory on GPU

gpu_mesh.Dealloc

Supports texturing as well, so you can slap a bitmap onto whatever mesh you want to draw.

Next step is to write a simple matrix API so that mesh can be transformed about the screen, then version 1.0 is ready.

Sorry I can't give you more feedback Xilef, it's just a bit too nerd for me to be able to grasp.

So no video this time (actually there is but it's nothing special) so here's a couple neat Screenshots.
TzcLkh3.png
mIwCgfx.png

PNomQEQ.png

And yeah here's the video i guess it's just a repaint of an older one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m45TF0-nB0c

BizarreMonkey":21t15yho said:
And now... we quake.
THE MIRTHFUL IMPETUS OF AWESOME GAEM HAS COME!

Say that 5 times fast. lol Menagerie is a great game. I'm gonna try to finish it along with some other RM games I never got to finish: Skyborn, Linus, Amulet of Athos, Star Stealing Prince, etc.

-removed-

Love that World Map, something really gets me going about that sort of thing, alternative worlds based on Earth (be it just because of future conflict or disaster or w/e).

Thank you, Amy. I took a bit of time to do but I'm proud of it. Still adding in more territories. Planing on making more world maps soon. :D

@Xilef: That is genuinely exciting! So is the API loaded from Win32 or something? Are you thinking about supporting shaders?

I've recently gotten working my second attempt at a Tilemap editor in Unity. I tried this once before but it got overly complicated and broke. This time I've tried to keep the interfaces simpler and it's in git in case I bork it again. It still needs some work to do everything I want, but I now have working tools to prove that I can generate a full 3D mesh for lighting/collision/physics while still getting a pixel perfect look (using a weird camera projection)!

Apologies for the low color quality in this screenshot, but it reduced the image size to 30% of full colour and I don't like taking up bandwidth.
7o0zJZC.png

I know there's some tearing that I need to look into. Pixel-perfect rendering in 3d is harder than it needs to be ;)

Hey guys.

I've just done a little recolouring. What do you think of the ruined walls? Do they match the rest of the tiles? Perhaps a little light?

dOjPmSo.png

Without the character:
IvX41cz.png

and
dsjYMuD.png

Looks spot on to me. I like how you've managed to make a large area of grass interesting. That the rocks are clearly part of the ruins is great too, it feels more planned and coherent.

rey meustrus":2zx8moml said:
@Xilef: That is genuinely exciting! So is the API loaded from Win32 or something? Are you thinking about supporting shaders?
It only supports shaders, I have made it so you are forced to use programmable pipeline OpenGL.

Awesome! I think. As far as I know the only reason not to use the programmable pipeline is compatibility. Which shouldn't be a problem. So now not only speed up RPG Maker stuff, but we can also write shaders for even more neat effects. That prospect makes me seriously reconsider finishing some of my stuff in RPG Maker.

Cool, Juan!

I'm doing some rough prototyping of my game. Working on getting the basic mechanics implemented now.

Mind control ability.
http://i.gyazo.com/794b60dd5c56dec7397de3b9d7c63728.mp4

Among other things, you can make enemies kill themselves, but the actual cast time will be a lot longer.
http://i.gyazo.com/3e3424f97df5d10c67a9dba98b9a31b0.mp4

Creating terrain effects. I'll use the same technique for AoE targeting and things like that.
http://i.gyazo.com/bbc74472105a7b93c2e1e21c9c9124a2.mp4

I really like the design of those, Juan!

And Peri, I love those little videos! Did you mention using Unity or something like that? I feel like, when my team and I get a bit more serious about game development in the future, we might try to randomly learn another game engine. o.o

Yeah, I'm making the prototype in Unity, although I'm strongly considering switching to Unreal for the real game. Unity is cool, but the bar of entry is a lot higher than with RM. That said, if you can code, it's easy and powerful to use. I wouldn't recommend making a 3D game, though, even though I'm doing it myself. 3D art is very difficult and time-consuming to make.

Pixel art is an order of magnitude easier, trust me. Not only is 3D art extremely time-consuming to make, it also requires a great deal of technical knowledge first to make and then to make actually look good. And the bar for good 3D is so much higher than the bar for good 2D because gamers are spoiled on AAA games.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.