Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

NeoABS

TheNamelessone":2dwm8pzk said:
Mr. Mo, I think it would be cool if you made your party members' ranged attacks pass through your allies. One thing that annoyed me a little about your old SBABS was that attacks made by the enemies would pass through each other but yours couldn't.

It's just a suggestion, though. I'll use it either way.

You'll be surprised how common that is actually..

especially in MMORPGs, monsters pass through objects as well as attacks, but yours don't, its all due to players and monsters being on different "systems" usually.

I'm having a rather strange error that I can't seem to remedy.
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a362/ ... oABS01.png[/img]

Things I've tried:
I copied the scripts data and other files directly from your game folder.
I've tried to rewrite the method itself.
Removed all additional scripts I was using.

I think it's because I don't have data for the skills completed inside the editor. I haven't tested this theory just yet, but if that is the case, is there anything you can do about that? It would help the testing process significantly. Anyway, I'll test this out and edit if I figure out what's wrong before you respond.

EDIT:
Ok, I found that the problem is when you have no characters in the party. I don't know if that can be fixed or not considering the fact that this is an ABS, but even if it can't be it's no big deal. I can always use a dummy character.

PS:
There's is also an error when loading a game, but I'm guessing that's because the dump files weren't recorded when the script was integrated. I'll test that too.

EDIT:
I was right about this error. You cannot load game data that was created prior to script integration.

Untra

Sponsor

Suggestions
For a future ABS, you could focus more on skills. So far you have the everyday "fireball" attacks with weapon hotkeys. Maybe with the implementation of a quality mouse system you could allow support for ranged explosive ranged attacks.

With the mentioned mouse system, you could also allow support for ranged gun weapons

User applied multiple animations for attacks, to allow more variation in battle to keep things chaotic

Option to change screen color tone as HP decreases at a certain rate / display an image on the screen as damage is taken, such as blood.

Grapple system that will let the player grapple the enemy and beat them by mashing a button. Option to turn this off on certain enemies.

Untravaersil":3h96az56 said:
Suggestions
For a future ABS, you could focus more on skills. So far you have the everyday "fireball" attacks with weapon hotkeys. Maybe with the implementation of a quality mouse system you could allow support for ranged explosive ranged attacks.

With the mentioned mouse system, you could also allow support for ranged gun weapons

User applied multiple animations for attacks, to allow more variation in battle to keep things chaotic

Option to change screen color tone as HP decreases at a certain rate / display an image on the screen as damage is taken, such as blood.

Grapple system that will let the player grapple the enemy and beat them by mashing a button. Option to turn this off on certain enemies.

That would probobly be a lot of work for Mr. Mo to do. I could see the grapple system happening, though.

Some throwable explosive weapons like grenades would be nice.

Edit:
::Update::
Script updated.
Fixed bugs and added HIT, check screen.

/end Edit

Razaroic":2dwgq3is said:
TheNamelessone":2dwgq3is said:
Mr. Mo, I think it would be cool if you made your party members' ranged attacks pass through your allies. One thing that annoyed me a little about your old SBABS was that attacks made by the enemies would pass through each other but yours couldn't.

It's just a suggestion, though. I'll use it either way.

You'll be surprised how common that is actually..

especially in MMORPGs, monsters pass through objects as well as attacks, but yours don't, its all due to players and monsters being on different "systems" usually.

Its actually because the ABS is not in "real time" but on "frame time". So everything is executed in frames, like in any other game. When the animation appears, the character's X and Y are actually already different, so the attack goes through.

And I've made it so the attacks of squads go through each other.

Jstreet":2dwgq3is said:
I'm having a rather strange error that I can't seem to remedy.
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a362/ ... oABS01.png[/img]

Things I've tried:
I copied the scripts data and other files directly from your game folder.
I've tried to rewrite the method itself.
Removed all additional scripts I was using.

I think it's because I don't have data for the skills completed inside the editor. I haven't tested this theory just yet, but if that is the case, is there anything you can do about that? It would help the testing process significantly. Anyway, I'll test this out and edit if I figure out what's wrong before you respond.

EDIT:
Ok, I found that the problem is when you have no characters in the party. I don't know if that can be fixed or not considering the fact that this is an ABS, but even if it can't be it's no big deal. I can always use a dummy character.

PS:
There's is also an error when loading a game, but I'm guessing that's because the dump files weren't recorded when the script was integrated. I'll test that too.

EDIT:
I was right about this error. You cannot load game data that was created prior to script integration.

Yup, I can't fix none of those errors actually XD.

Untravaersil":2dwgq3is said:
Suggestions

Actually, with the mouse system, I'm thinking of making a strategy based ABS. More info will be released later if I decide to do it.

Zetaraptor03":2dwgq3is said:
That would probobly be a lot of work for Mr. Mo to do. I could see the grapple system happening, though.

Some throwable explosive weapons like grenades would be nice.

Wrong, the grapple system would be the most annoying cause it would interfere with other features :-p.

And grenades, well, there are missiles and rockets already. Grenades are possible too but maybe later.

::News::

I've decided to enhance my battle systems with extra graphical features. Such as Combo(HIT) showing on screen as the player hits an enemy. Voice effects for attacks and getting hurt will also be included.

My friend showed me couple of jap made ABS systems and I liked how they displayed the Combo effect and the sound effects.

Other features I plan on adding are(after the next released version):
Scripted Skills - Wanna use a skill that makes the player/enemy/screen do certain things before attacking? I will use Common Events for scripting, so no need to know how to script RGSS.
Destruction Engine(for combo kills) - Finish off death combos with a cool effect. First I need to make a destruction engine though :-p.
Summons - Summon a monsters you've killed before, must be summon enabled. (ABS only, probably)

News on the SBABS add-on

I'm pretty much done. The squad can get effected by status such as poison. I've disabled rotating party when a party member is dead or inflicted with some other status, for now. The Squad can also attack using weapons or skills.

Whats left: Healing, graphical stuff such as HUD.

Keep it up, Mr. Mo! We're looking forward to this!

How is the AI coming? Earlier you mentioned the idea of Active and Defensive AI based on class...

Elderm, try and copy and paste some monster from the demo to test in your game. also, make sure you are equipped with a weapon.

It's such a nice script but you can defend and attack at the same time forever!!!!!! So how can I edit the defence feature to make it if you use it it'll stay for 5 seconds?

j250

Take a look at line 1632 onwards on "Aleworks Input" this is where you can see the definitions for the keys.
You will see that Letters["SHIFT"] doesnt exist, so instead just use Shift, which will make the code Input::Shift. I gave you the line so you can see what other definitions you can use and how to use them  ;D
Hope this helps you  :)

J250

Jason

Awesome Bro

I'd love to use this in my game, however, I have a second party member, BUT you can't switch to him, he just follows and attacks, I've tried your SBABS, but I always get a Send Error Report whenever I try it out (game.exe), so I was hoping thered be a way to make it happen on this instead ? It'd be like an NPC which follows you round, but you cannot heal him, you can use a skill to make him come, he can't be in your party. It's like a summon.

Any way of doing this on here because as I said, the SBABS won't work.

jbrist":3kioscpu said:
How come whenever I try to testplay the game I get an error report with game.exe ? It's only when I have all your scripts on :(

I don´t know... But in your game thread ( http://www.rmxp.org/forums/http://dev.r ... 74#p358674 ) people seemed to have trouble playing your demo. Linkin_T wrote this to you:

"Are you aware that you just distributed a demo made with an illegal/non-official version of RMXP? People here can be pretty harsh about that. Also, you could´ve avoided it by just distributing the RGSS102J.DLL DLL together with Game.exe, in the game's main folder."

Maybe that´s the answer to your question?

Jason

Awesome Bro

Jensen, that was like 2 weeks ago when I used the illegal version, but I've since bought the real one, and have prooved to the forums that it is real, so please don't go spreading round that I still use the illegal, because I clearly DONT

jbrist":11dbzpr5 said:
Jensen, that was like 2 weeks ago when I used the illegal version, but I've since bought the real one, and have prooved to the forums that it is real, so please don't go spreading round that I still use the illegal, because I clearly DONT

Okay.

Nice ABS mr. mo!
But its still not what I want or need. I am making a zelda like game and I need a ABS that is very modular in weapons and enemies. I have been searching japanese sites and all over for the internet I thought the XAS could solve it for me but it still didn't do what I wanted. I saw your system and I thought it work but sadly no.
So now I have come to the sad realization that I need to program this ABS myself. But I have very little experience with RGSS. Most of the script I have figured out but what would be really great mo is if you could help me out with the enemy AI and objects on the map. This is the biggest problem I am having as I don't know how to interact with events on the map.
If you could help me out that would be great.

Hey Mr. Mo  :smile: It's been a while since I have been on these forums, but it's nice to come back to something like this. Even though I am probably not going to be using RMXP anymore, this is still pretty cool and fun to mess around with. Your scripts really are getting better and better, I can't wait to see what you have in store for GMS.net  :lol:

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.