Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

First loved fosters home for imaginary friends. It must be said though, what can you expect from a show built around selling overpriced ugly plastic to little girls and boys? It will at it's best flirt with being art but it's financial interests will prevent the risk taking that makes the difference between Foster's home for imaginary friends (which isn't a show based around selling cheap plastic) and The Smurphs. Also egads anime is destroying the american toy industry. I wonder what kind of strange fashion obsessions will result from this generation when they become teen girls chasing beauty.

Don't get me wrong I loved my toy cartoons growing up, GI Joe, Transformers, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, but I'm not about to pretend that there was any depth to them other than them being purely adventurist escapism. Hey I like to shut my mind off, too. That's why I choose to subject myself to incompetently made cinema.

Why does everyone make it hard for people that like this show without being called retarded. Is it not simple for me to say that "I like My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic because I enjoy it" without everyone turning against me and calling the show retarded without looking at it?

Why is it hard for everybody to not understand why we like it. Nobody has to be in deep to understand why we like this show. The reason why people enjoy this show is because of good writing, good animation, comedy , nostalgia, shoutouts, and relatable characters. This is why people enjoy the show, the very same reason why everyone likes cartoons like animaniacs, spongebob, and looney toons. Many people who have taken a hatred for the show without taking a look at it is because the name "My Little Pony" comes to mind, which fancys a rather bad reputation for being an advertisement ploy only to sell toys at little girls.

Those who had not seen the show think that it's girly garbage and wonder why many people who watched My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic like it, lending them to hate the fans as well for liking this crap without taking a peek at the show. I hope everyone, including you "Old kentucky shark, understand the reason why people like this show.

I can understand why people like the show, even if I don't. I don't think I understand the obsession to the point of buying merchandise and creating "pony-sonas", but to each their own, I guess.

Bronies believe that by watching this show, they are challenging traditional thoughts about gender-based media. They think that by watching My Little Pony, they are somehow revolutionizing how childrens' products are being made. This is not true.

This, and judging by the toys it's quite obvious that the same gender idealism and expectations are still there. These are barbie ponies: Flawless skin, thin, long hair, small noses (snouts), petite, and clearly feminine. The only difference is the anime art style in the sculpture which truncates the nose to micheal jackson proportions, enlarges the eyes and makes the proportions skinnier than they probably would have been in another style. It's clear that these toys reinforce the ideal feminine physique as petite and skinny, perfect long hair, unblemished skin, soft facial features with striking eyes, and that's hardly revolutionary. It's quite status quo.
/feminism

Well I wouldn't go that far, but they did at least look like horses. Anime is just not a sculpture style or really a style that stands up well to three dimensions in general. Three dimensions makes the anatomical anomalies of the style really stand out more than they do on the tele.

Um...Old Kentucky Shark, do you like or dislike this show, if you don't like this show then I understand why.
What I said in the above post I made was careless of me and I am sorry Shark and everyone else, Let's forget what I just said, as I created a pointless argument and I should feel ashamed for it.

Edit:
(Ignore this, it's pony related)
I'm bored, so here is a random video since it's releated to this thread
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADJ7p2L8zXA

Now that it's had time to settle, and people have calmed down over the initial hype, what's everyone's thoughts on it? Still controversial?

Jason

Awesome Bro

Nah, I still find it terrible, and yeah, bronies are creepy as fuck and actually scare me...

If you want a kids show that's awesome as fuck and suitable for literally anyone of any age... Adventure Time.

I still don't quite get it but was incredibly overwhelmed and annoyed by the number of overzealous bronies at a recent convention (seriously there were possibly more bronies than cosplayers of anything else, probably combined). also was overwhelmed by their lack of deodorant.

the look of the show is very cute. probably would have liked it when i was a girl. maybe even up until my teen years.

past that though, the humor is too simple without being "strange" enough to hold interest, and it's not good at offering witty deliveries/context. the voices grated on my nerves.

also pretty obvious, but the sense of it always trying to sell something was kind of overwhelming. reminded me of the hasbro-funded shows i watched as a little kid where they were basically screaming, "HEY KIDS HOLY FUCK TELL YOUR PARENTS TO BUY YOU THIS THING OR YOU WILL NEVER BE HAPPY!!! LOOK IT IS POSEABLE AND COMES IN DIFFERENT COLORS TO MATCH YOUR PERSONALITY HOLY FUCK WHICH IS YOUR FAVORITE? WAIT IT DOESN'T MATTER BECAUSE YOU WON'T BE HAPPY UNTIL YOU HAVE THEM ALL". I realize the show comes from a concept written around a line of toys, and why it feels that way, and why they do it, but I don't understand why an adult would be excited about seeing it when they can distinguish the "jam-it-down-your-throat" marketing in such an obvious way. (i realize a lot of shows feature small spates of product placement, but whenever they do it in a huge way, it's downright cringe-worthy.)

at the end of the day i think i can UNDERSTAND why some people like it, and can definitely understand why kids would, but it's not for me, and i certainly don't get why adult men are like sexually obsessed with it.

they're horses
that look & talk like children
and they're totally-unrealistic-looking cartoons

so is it repressed desire for bestiality? pedophilia? toonophilia? pedotoonobeastialophilia? :/

... actually, if no one minds my getting all psychological up in here, i DO think that the curvy, smooth nature of the art style lends towards the sexuality gleaned from it.

i've seen plenty of behavioral studies which suggest that anything featuring smooth curves or arcs demonstrate femininity, which is perceived as female sexuality in hetero males. even in art class, we were always told that edges and straight lines always implied masculinity and curvaceous forms always implied femininity. (look for those implied lines in marketing sometime -- it is often pretty obvious who marketers are targeting, based on what context + implied lines you see!).

if you look at a pony on the show, edges and straight lines almost don't even exist. their legs don't even have joints. they are unending curvaceous forms. the smallness of them, the bright colors, and the big eyes make them "cute" and child-like, and they don't even have breasts or other human-female features, but the curvaceousness and smoothness DOES imply the female form all over the place. i don't think that was the goal of the artists -- it was probably just what looked the cutest/most modern.

however, interestingly, if you look at a "girl" pony vs. a "boy" pony on the show, on the "boy" ones, you will notice FAR straighter lines and hard edges/corners. It even looks more like they have joints.

anyway it's just kind of my reasoning for WHY a man would become attracted to one of the show's characters. that, and the need to be accepted among his strange internet "clique", after not being able to be accepted by anyone else.

foreveralone + show with gratuitous female form = obsessive sexual fantasies

... so anyway i have spent too long considering bronies and this stupid show so i'm going to go be a normal adult now

Jason

Awesome Bro

Y'know ven, with those line things, you're definitely right... when I was on my night shift last week, I got bored and was doodling random stuff in a notebook, and drew the same head (Features and shit included), on one it was round and stuff, and on the second it was a block chin, y'know, the GADOOSH chins... and they looked so different, and you could tell that too, the one with the straighter lines looked a lot more masculine, even if I drew the same bodies too...

The straight-vs-curved thing isn't a new idea, either. Even in some ancient languages, "male" was depicted as a straight line or triangle, and "female" was a curved, "S", or ovoid shape.

It has to do with the effects of estrogen and testosterone. Estrogen softens features and makes you fat. Testosterone builds lean muscle and burns fat, forcing more definition.
Though there are men who are curvy, and women who are defined, it's an instinctual association. Same generally goes for associations with thickness and thin-ness.

Being in graphic design opens your world to (sadly) identifying all the little ways corporate entities are trying to get you to buy their product or pay them etc. based on even the simpleness of implied lines.

Sometimes designers don't realize what they're doing because they mindlessly identify it based on instinct and use it. Other designers capitalize on the realization that they're doing it to manipulate their audience/consumers. The latter generally make more money :)

If you ever take a day and just LOOK at corporate packaging, posters, flyers, commercials, or [some] cartoons, and try to identify all the little ways the designer/artist of it tried to "trick" you into paying attention to it, ... It'd ruin your day. Haha. (So maybe don't do it.)

The curviness also makes it much easier to animate, as can be seen in all of the MLP hentai games around the net (they're pretty awful and morally plooptsche).

From spending some time on 4chan a lot of these are fully blown zoophiliacs while others seem just to be attracted to the characters.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.