Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

(first, in all seriousness: Don't hate on the show if you have never bothered to watch even, not even a clip or two.)
A few months ago, I was hearing a little bit about this show around my corner of the internet. I kind of ignored it for a few weeks at that time but caved in and decided to watch a few episodes on youtube. First I was all like, lol it's a girl's show, I'm gonna make fun of it and troll it's users for shits and giggles. Few episodes in, I was more like "Okay this isn't have bad..." and then, like 15 episodes later...I'm all like WHY AM I STILL WATCHING THIS, WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME. I've finished watching season one, and can't wait for season two. Ayup.

On topic though, I commend the animators for the fresh and crisp animation and I admire the writers as well, as the show has adult humor too and it's humor is quite self-aware.

well
i think this show is good for little kids
but um,
i dont really get this MLP trend
again, its better than half the TV shows that air for kids, but for adults i just never really got the appeal

That's understandable Bacon, but what amazes is never before have I seen a show where the creators have given the fanbase so much attention.

I haven't seen it but as trend go this one is cute and the art doesn't look bad.

My sister used to collect the toys back when they were in their original form the toys suck ass now though.

What I HATE is that years ago I typod everyone as everypony an since then thats been MY WORD. Now I can't use it without being called a mlp fag :|

I hate it when words you've used forest suddenly become uncool especially when people mistake the context.

see i was starting to think ladestitute was a cool dude and then he posted this.

i've been hearing WAY TOO MUCH about my little [pony lately and i can't understand why it is suddenly A THING. this is rrr manchild garbage and any adult who is watching this is even worse than your avaerage anime fan.

EDIT:

okay i watched like five minutes of it so i wouldn't be talking out of my ass and.... yup my opinion is still the same. if you are a child then yeah sure but any self-respecting adult should be embarassed to watch this.

and i don't even mean that just because it's a kids show or because it's for little girls (there are lots of kids show or girl franchises that are respecatble) but this is garbage. it's lazily animated in flash, the jokes are horrible ("hi let's make friends" *runs away with sound effect* "she likes books more than friends!!")

i can almost see how it appeals to the same kind of stunted development men who still watch sailor moon (and not for nostalgia purposes) but this is a show for little girls or pedophiles.

also i don't understand the ARCHITECTURE. there are a shitload of stairs and the palaces look grand and stuff but IN A WORLD THERE HORSES ARE THE PRIMARY SENTIENT SPECIES THE ARCHITECTURE WOULD NOT HAVE SPIRAL STAIRCASES also how to they use BOOKS in the first place they don't have fingers?? and this isn't even nitpicking it's just really obvious stuff that says hey this is a show for children.

Basically it stemmed from 4chan and has now entered popular usage. It was a big troll on 4chan that pretty much replaced the futa spam. And then it became popular because of that so now everyone is like "yeah we all like this" and stuck in a trap and

etc.

also i don't understand the ARCHITECTURE. there are a shitload of stairs and the palaces look grand and stuff but IN A WORLD THERE HORSES ARE THE PRIMARY SENTIENT SPECIES THE ARCHITECTURE WOULD NOT HAVE SPIRAL STAIRCASES also how to they use BOOKS in the first place they don't have fingers?? and this isn't even nitpicking it's just really obvious stuff that says hey this is a show for children.

I find it amazing how you nitpick on a children show like this ^^

Anyway, conclusion: 4chan did it!

bacon":jg6c88n2 said:
guys be nice
this isnt bash people who watch the show thread this is talk about what you think of the show thread
always the voice of reason!!

I don't like this show. I've watched several full episodes after being told time after time that I'll get "hooked" or something like that. I've watched the dragon episode which is supposedly the one that "hooks" most people, and wasn't impressed at all. I was not being overly critical.

If my daughter came up to me and asked me to watch this show with her, then yeah, I totally would. It's cute and I can see why it would be appealing. To children.

But there's no substance for adults. The morals are all about "sharing is good!" and "we should care about others!", which is great to teach kids. But it delves no deeper than that, and unless you're as simple-minded as a five year old I really cannot understand why you would find this show good enough to watch on a weekly basis.

"Bronies" (or whatever bullshit they call themselves) are convinced that Lauren Faust (the creator) has made the show for them. They believe without a shadow of a doubt that this show was meant to appeal to children and adults. It wasn't. It was created for little girls to enjoy. I have yet to see any "adult humour" people are always claiming is in the show, and I have no desire to watch any more.

Bronies believe that by watching this show, they are challenging traditional thoughts about gender-based media. They think that by watching My Little Pony, they are somehow revolutionizing how childrens' products are being made. This is not true.

Liking and watching this show is not something to be proud of. I don't see how this is any different from other shows for children, except for "hahahaha ponies and unicorns! am i right guys". You're not being hip by liking MLP.

I'm not trying to be harsh or rude in any way, and I'm sorry if I come off like that!! But after being told that I am succumbing to the masses by not liking this show by every brony MLP fan I've talked to, I need a place to rant.

(brony is such a stupid word isdpkhapsiduhaspdiughaspdiugkf)

I loved my little ponies when i was a little kid. dude they were the shit. i liked Littlest Pet Shop back then a lot more though. They were so little :O. plus the toys were mostly really super well made. like the reticulation on the movable parts and the jointwork and the little quirks about them were really nicely made and were all really unique and interesting. the MLPs were just non-posable plastic dealies with hair :/ (oh wait no their heads could turn i guess, at the neck). some of them had tiny little plastic wings or a tiny little unicorn horn but they looked really cheap to make and were usually pretty expensive so i didnt have many of them. plus they all looked the same except for the colors and their little icon tattoo near their ass. which i guess was a sort of trampstamp. but they were pretty cute and i didnt like dolls (why would i want to learn how to rear a baby as a KID or fawn over some lazy skinny blonde giraffe-legged bitch? atleast taking care of PETS was understandable).
[honestly i only ever wanted to play with legos but my mom forbade me from ever playing with "toys for boys" so that sucked)

anyway i saw a commercial for the revamps of my childhood toys for modern childrens and wtf is up with this shit.

ok in my day MLPS looked like this
vintagemlp.jpg
vintagemlps2.jpg

like they were sort of stubby and chubby looking but were still identifiably HORSES.

when i was a teenager they revamped them briefly. i had a couple of them b/c i was going through a phase of collecting toys.
(i used to have some cool ones but LOST EM ALL at 16. hooray) so anyway they looked like this:
1997mlp1.jpg
1997mlp2.jpg

and i liked this look way better. like they were not stumpy and they looked like they were ... more nicely made. their heads had a good shape to them too. and their themes were all like fruits/berries or reading books or stuff about clouds or ... you know, cute, positive things.

so anyway yeah i saw a commercial and now mlps look like THIS???
2011mlp3.jpg
2011mlp4.jpg
2011mlp5.jpg
2011mlp6.jpg

dude that shit is scary
what the fuck, they look like freaked out animes drawn by a 12 year old! they dont even look like HORSES they look like ... chipmunks that were implanted with crazy Megaman boots inside their legs. and a lot of them dont even have HAIR they have like plastic molded crap.
bullshit dude

... wait and HOLY FUCK Littlest Pet Shop is like 1290785902837905127390581950 times WORSE.
LittlestPetshop1993.jpg

Okay that's what they looked like in 1993. They were adorable.

LittlestPetshop2011.jpg

^ That's what it looks like now!!!!
WHAT?!?!?!
WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT

THAT SHIT WILL HAUNT MY NIGHTMARES

This has NOTHING TO DO WITH THE SHOW.
but i am SUPER UNHAPPY about how horrible design intended for children has become.
I mean what the fuck. That shit is horrific.

BUT, about the show: Dude i REALLY hate that cheap Flash animation used for modern cartoons. So damn lazy. Sigh. I miss hand-drawn stuff. Where people put care & detail into things. Oh well :(

I find it amazing how you nitpick on a children show like this ^^

MY POINT EXACTLTY dude. i was nitpicking on that to prove that it's a CHILDRENS SHOW.

also venetia's post (excellent post btw dude, i had NO FUCKING IDEA that littlest pet shop looked like such crap now and i CANNOT UNSEE) is prime proof that ANIME IS RUINING MODERN SOCIETY

Basically it stemmed from 4chan and has now entered popular usage. It was a big troll on 4chan that pretty much replaced the futa spam. And then it became popular because of that so now everyone is like "yeah we all like this" and stuck in a trap and

this actually makes a tremendous amount of sense man.

i mean okay this is where i got a little bit offtopic but: i gotta say that in principle i LOVE 4chan. i think the whole idea behind it (not ANIME but just the massive online anyonymous no rules aspect) is fucking genius and i absolutely love that it exists and think for the most part it is a good thing. i mean it's a little faggoty to be like 4CHAN WAS GOODBEFORE IT GOT POPULAR and i want to avoid saying that because that's oversimplifying my opinion but I think that 4chan can still be an excellent source of humor and a large amount of its memes are legitimately funny.

BUT

it's community has outgrown itself, to the point where the vast majority of its users don't even understand WHY many of those jokes were funny in the first place, and they end up just repeating and copying the same old things or even worse trying to create new things in the same vein as old things which kills it because the reason 4chan's sense of humor used to be so fucking great was because each meme had its own unique sense of humor.

in other words, and to try to connect this back to my little pony, people find themselves LIKING THINGS BECAUSE OTHER PEOPLE LIKE THEM (which is largely an issue with society was a whole) and not because they actually like it themselves.

now i want to use my little pony as a beginning point for a treatise/beat poem on all that is wrong with the world. thanks hbgames :thumb:

That said there are some great kids shows.

Horrible Histories (based on the books) recently became the first kids show ever to be voted best comedy sketch show (as in, adult comedy sketch show. Against runners like Mitchel and Web, etc).

Jason

Awesome Bro

Amy Pond":1hl7rf7a said:
That said there are some great kids shows.

Horrible Histories (based on the books) recently became the first kids show ever to be voted best comedy sketch show (as in, adult comedy sketch show. Against runners like Mitchel and Web, etc).

Spongebob.

'nuff said.

Is spongebob actually good? I never really got into it. It just seemed a remake of the Snorks which was a remake of the Smurfs which was, tbh, a children's show.

Jason

Awesome Bro

Well I think it's good, then again I've been watching it ever since it came out and I'm not quite at that stage yet where I can go "Y'know what? This is a little too childish now, wonder what else is on", if I scroll through the channels and Spongebob is on, I'll watch it.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.