Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Mr.Mo's Squad Based ABS (SBABS)

cyray7

hey Mr. Mo your scripts are awesome! it takes RMXP to a whole new dimension, but now on to the question..lol.

how do you get rid of the white background behind the icons? this is what i mean...

http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/426/testqc5.png[/IMG]

see the white background behind the icons on the top and bottom left corners?? how do i make it so you don't see the white backgrounds? Thanks for any help, and thanks for the awesome script in the first place!! :)

Shiro

That's not a script problem as it is just setting transparecy when you import the graphics into the game. Basic RMXP knowledge :)

cyray7

ok i fixed that thanks :)

i have another question...
when i have nobody in my party i get this error...

Script 'Mr.Mo's SBABS Lite 2.0'line 3369: NoMethodErro occured.

undefined method 'damage' for nil:NilClass

how do i fix this? oh by the way i get this error after i do new game...

TaCk

Sorry too many responses; I could only read up to the 7th page, and I have to go. So sorry if this stuff has been asked already.

Anyway, my first question is how do you edit the attack speed for regular attacks? I'd like it to be based on the agi stat (I have low stats in my game), so that more agi means more attacks per second.

Second, is it possible to make AoE or splash damage attacks/skills?

Last, do any of you (or any other good scripter) take customization requests? I'd like some things in the menu, HUD and stuff customized for my game. Just let me know on this thread or via PM if anyone's interested.

Oh and one thing I noticed that I'd like to change is that the squad doesn't attack monsters that attack you all the time (particularly the archers in the castle). I'd like it to be so that when your character or any of the other squad members gets hit, they try to attack whatever caused the damage. Or even easier to script maybe, they attack any aggressive monster that's visible to them. Also the squad is equipped with bows but they all only do melee attacks and use magic for range instead of using their bows.

- edit: Okay after some testing, they do attack monsters that attack you, but only when within their range (still don't know why they use melee attacks only even when equipped with bows). How can you set the range for this then? Also, can the AI be told to try to align itself with its target when using straight-line ranged attacks like arrows?

Btw nice work on the scripts, for everyone that had a part in it.

cyray7;240340 said:
ok i fixed that thanks :)

i have another question...
when i have nobody in my party i get this error...

how do i fix this? oh by the way i get this error after i do new game...

I changed the script alot so I need to know what is on the line.

Anyway, my first question is how do you edit the attack speed for regular attacks? I'd like it to be based on the agi stat (I have low stats in my game), so that more agi means more attacks per second.

That would require the editing of the script in various places.. Specially for the SBABS, a lot of places.

Not sure what that is.

Oh and one thing I noticed that I'd like to change is that the squad doesn't attack monsters that attack you all the time (particularly the archers in the castle). I'd like it to be so that when your character or any of the other squad members gets hit, they try to attack whatever caused the damage. Or even easier to script maybe, they attack any aggressive monster that's visible to them. Also the squad is equipped with bows but they all only do melee attacks and use magic for range instead of using their bows.

1 - If you were getting hit, would you go and help your buddy?...':| However, the allies do help the player when they are not busy.
2 - I fixed the Range to Skill ratio. It is less likely to use skills now.

- edit: Okay after some testing, they do attack monsters that attack you, but only when within their range (still don't know why they use melee attacks only even when equipped with bows). How can you set the range for this then? Also, can the AI be told to try to align itself with its target when using straight-line ranged attacks like arrows?

1. The AI does try to align but in order to do that, it has to walk closer.
2. You can't attack something you can't see but what I'll do is, make the ally move to the player until in range to the enemy.

::News::

I'm making a game currently for the SBABS. It will be 1 hour long or more at least and it will have:

1 - Most(if not all) features used.
2 - Epic Boss Battles that are fun(think Zelda-ish).
3 - Conditions Examples for Enemies.
4 - Handling AI for the Allies via Events.

I've also added a few features and will add more as I need them.

cyray7

okay this is the error message:

and on the line it says
3367 a = @character.actor
3368 #Show State Animation
3369 if a.damage == nil and a.state_animation_id != @state_animation_id
3370 @state_animation_id = a.state_animation_id
3371 loop_animation($data_animations[@state_animation_id])

the error is for line 3369.

Thank you :). Its fixed now. Here is a temp for you:

Replace:

if a.damage == nil and a.state_animation_id != @state_animation_id

with:

if !a.nil? and a.damage == nil and a.state_animation_id != @state_animation_id

Not sure what that is.

AoE stands for Area of Effect and Splash Damage is the same thing. Basically what he wants is what you already have, and that's the Range Explode skills, unless you don't have them in the SBABS.

cyray7

Mr.Mo;240499 said:
Thank you :). Its fixed now. Here is a temp for you:

Replace:

if a.damage == nil and a.state_animation_id != @state_animation_id

with:

if !a.nil? and a.damage == nil and a.state_animation_id != @state_animation_id

it still doesnt work...now i get this error message..

Script 'Mr.Mo's SBABS Lite 2.0' line 3398: NoMethodError occured.

undefined method 'dead?' for nil:NilClass

here is what line 3398 says...
3396 a = @character.actor
3397 #Display damage
3398 damage(a.damage, a.critical) if !a.dead? and a.damage != nil
3399 #Make Damage nil
3400 a.damage = nil

TaCk

However, the allies do help the player when they are not busy.
I haven't seen this happen. Is this in the demo version posted on the first post? In the version I got, I'm getting pummeled by two archer enemies' arrows, and my allies are just standing around beside me, healing when necessary. They're about 2-3 cells away from the enemy but not in line to do any attacks. What I wanted to see them do is go near the enemy by themselves and attack it, now that they see me getting my ass kicked.

That would require the editing of the script in various places.. Specially for the SBABS, a lot of places.
Teach me what to look for and I'll try to edit it myself.

Btw, AoE means Area of Effect (like Icedmetal57 said). In most cases it targets the ground or the user, and all enemies within the specific area will get damaged. For example, 5x5 cells around the user, or the targetted ground location (in the case of this SBABS, a specific range in front of the character, like 3 cells in front and 2x2 cells around it). This is for taking out multiple enemies that surround you in more than one direction.

cyray7;240543 said:
it still doesnt work...now i get this error message..

Script 'Mr.Mo's SBABS Lite 2.0' line 3398: NoMethodError occured.

undefined method 'dead?' for nil:NilClass

here is what line 3398 says...
3396 a = @character.actor
3397 #Display damage
3398 damage(a.damage, a.critical) if !a.dead? and a.damage != nil
3399 #Make Damage nil
3400 a.damage = nil

replace with this
Code:
        a = @character.actor
        if !a.nil?
          #Display damage
          damage(a.damage, a.critical) if !a.dead? and a.damage != nil
          #Make Damage nil
          a.damage = nil
        end

Quick question, did you ever fix the bug where allies appear in the top-corner of a map?

Yup, I figured out why it happened, it happened to me too. I fixed it. It will be in the next demo.

I haven't seen this happen. Is this in the demo version posted on the first post? In the version I got, I'm getting pummeled by two archer enemies' arrows, and my allies are just standing around beside me, healing when necessary. They're about 2-3 cells away from the enemy but not in line to do any attacks. What I wanted to see them do is go near the enemy by themselves and attack it, now that they see me getting my ass kicked.

I've fixed that in the next demo.

Teach me what to look for and I'll try to edit it myself.

That would be longer then actually doing it myself. Look for everything that says:

@button_mash =

cyray7

ok...now i get this error...

Script 'Mr.Mo's HUD' line 76: NoMethodError occured.

undefined method 'hp' for nil:NilClass

here is line 76 and the lines around it...

75 @actor = $game_party.actors[0]
76 @old_hp = @actor.hp
77 @old_sp = @actor.sp
78 @old_exp = @actor.exp
79 @level = @actor.level

cyray7

im not sure...

the game works when i have someone in my party, but when i click new game on the title page it gives me that error (if no one is in my party).

OH also i downloaded your demo and when i removed all the members from the party i got the same set of errors (damage,dead,then hp).

cyray7

im pretty sure its not the scripts, it happens if i remove all the party members from your demo (i get all the errors i got before, damage, dead, and hp errors) and i still got the error. also, i made a new project and just used your script and i still got the error.

also, i removed all the other scripts from my game and i still got the error...

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.