Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Discuss anime here.

Spoo

Sponsor

I'm not really following. What are cliche dubs?

Like, as best I can imagine, one of those that always have the archetypal voices (mid-tone male protag, obligatory supporting male voiced by Greg Aryes and undoubtedly shipped in slashfics, squeaky and childish sounding girl, likely love interest, etc.).

moog

Sponsor

naruto is a pretty good example (good series though)

BELEVE IT IM NARUERTO HEH.

Like, as best I can imagine, one of those that always have the archetypal voices (mid-tone male protag, obligatory supporting male voiced by Greg Aryes and undoubtedly shipped in slashfics, squeaky and childish sounding girl, likely love interest, etc.).

this

Spoo

Sponsor

The problem with translating Naruto (as a character) was that his catchphrase was actually something closer to a verbal tic; it had no exact translation and was a pretty Japanese thing. Would've been better if Viz had just bullshat some dialogue to fit the lip sync or edit the animation than give him such a catchphrase that makes him so hard to take seriously.

I mean, Naruto is one of those extremely shounen animes, for lack of a better term. They tend to put in long, dramatic monologues about justice and shit that just don't work as well with the English language. It's a problem with dubs in general, and one that can't be solved easily, because you could make the best localization ever and you'd have a bunch of weaboos on your ass about inaccurate dialogue [that isn't significant at all].

I wonder if there's a class about media localization. I'd love taking it.

Been watching some Aku no Hana (Flowers of Evil) on Crunchyroll, now I don't have a long list of anime I have watched, but I absolutely love Aku no Hana. Essentially, Japanese school, main character has a crush on another, after school steals her gym clothes, third character sees this and blackmails the first so that she can delve deeper into the mind of a perverted guy, trying to open him up to his perverse nature which he resists. This far from funny and ecchi and I just love it, the animation style is also very unique for anime since it is Rotoscoped. (Which is where you draw over live film) I've been following the Manga as well as the anime, and it does it so well, especially episode 7 I think, absolutely amazing.

PS: For those interested, my watched (and liked) animes include:
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Rebuild of Evangelion
Gurren Lagann
Code Geass (series1 )
Claymore
Darker Than Black (series 1)
Buccano!
Say "I love you"

I only ever enjoyed tora dora, death note, clannad, and inuyasha. I feel like I never know where to start with anime, and when i start one I dont like it.

I had those issues too action. But I have a friend that guides me (has seen over... 300 shows I think...to completion, including the likes of Naruto and some other like, 64 episode animes like FMA and Blood++). What you need is someone's taste you can trust. I remember watching Gurren Langann, and it pissed me off. It was over sexualised and such, but my friend said to stick with it, after 15 episodes... it became really good, all of the first part now made sense and now I think its an amazing anime! So if all you're doing is watching say, an episode, then no wonder! I'd recommend any of the ones I listed... :)

action":14rmoaeo said:
I only ever enjoyed tora dora, death note, clannad, and inuyasha. I feel like I never know where to start with anime, and when i start one I dont like it.

Code Geass? If you liked death note, it's tangentially in the vicinity, except more in the side of pure entertainment and awesomeness.

Angel Beats is really, well, japanese-ish, and if you don't like the comedy then whatever, but it's really amazingly done, if underfunded.

Cowboy Bebop and samurai champloo are two others that are great. Neon Genesis Evangelion is a massive experience, particularly the movie/real last two episodes, except that if you're not used to anime characters/don't mind them you'll prolly hate the main characters - although it should be noted that NGE cemented/executed very well the tropes behind some characters, such as the.... idk what to call it, silent girl trope?

I will agree with Daxis about NGE, but perhaps I'm bias, it was the first anime sat down and watched all of (in one sitting I might add; both films too). And I'd further what Daxis says about it; it certainly is a massive experience, seen nothing else like it myself (though my library isn't too big, so take thta with a grain of salt) but something I have heard bandied about with NGE quite often is that NGE is kind of a rite of passage; you HAVE to have seen it ;)
The later episodes of it weren't so good, but it picks bakc up SO well for the end film (Air & Life), but Rebuild is an option too... new animation, plot points and streamlined experience. I actually prefer REbuild myself now, but its still ongoing, and I've heard mixed opinions of the third film. (I haven't watched it though, because I think the Dub is actually superior to the sub due how they portray some characters; Japanese directly translated to English loses some fo the subtlety that Japanese has, so some characters in the sub seem a tad... reined in.

Spoo

Sponsor

I guess if you're not that accustomed to anime then you might like Rorouni Kenshin. It's nothing too "out there" and it has a lot of good action scenes. The dub is pretty good in most cases, too. The only problem is that the show tends to throw a lot of bullshit at you in between important events, particularly before the Kyoto arc, I think it was.

Haha, the worse thing about anime is its fans because of the tropes it births. Atleast if the anime society I joined at University is anything to go by. They passed on rich, gripping, serious stories for animes which were light-hearted, ecchi/fanservice filled (every one we voted in had atleast 2 beach/bathhouse episodes for like, a 12 episode anime) and had a focus/crutch on immature humour with lavatory gags etc...

Xhukari":1xrbl8si said:
Haha, the worse thing about anime is its fans because of the tropes it births. Atleast if the anime society I joined at University is anything to go by. They passed on rich, gripping, serious stories for animes which were light-hearted, ecchi/fanservice filled (every one we voted in had atleast 2 beach/bathhouse episodes for like, a 12 episode anime) and had a focus/crutch on immature humour with lavatory gags etc...

My Uni anime club sat around and watches anime for six hours. I attended like two meetings, paid my dues, and was like.... this is it? Geez. Sure, there's a whole interaction thing going on, I guess(?), but I will not attend a club that watches anime for 6 hours every other week. I'd rather do that by myself, at my own pace.

We had a good mix of anime. Most action, actually - last summer we went for Sword art online, jormungand, and maybe another action, and had asogare x amnesia (or somethign like that), which was ecchi-comedy-horror.

moog

Sponsor

Ok so not anime anymore, (it was) but the gantz manga finished! Sad to see it goes. Anyone else keep up with it? It was getting p. bad towards the end.

Spoo

Sponsor

moog":2haqc7af said:
Ok so not anime anymore, (it was) but the gantz manga finished! Sad to see it goes. Anyone else keep up with it? It was getting p. bad towards the end.

oh shit, really? I stopped last fall at some 150 chapters in, I think. I'll have to go marathon the rest of the way through, eventually. In the same vein, Hellsing ended relatively recently as well. I've been reading Kouta Hirano's new manga called Drifters. Good shit, and with a pretty unique setting.

EDIT: Wow. I was actually closer to 200 chapters, after checking.

moog":3j7usvj7 said:

I actually gave up hoping for a perfect resolution for everything near the end of part 2, the osaka(?) arc iirc. After the vampires (nanomachines!) and meaningless characters and all the bullshit, I'm actually just sticking around for the experience, and not expecting really much more than a great feel from reading it (not hard. Kurono is such avatar fodder for the readers to project on).
It *technically* had explanations for the gantz/ball/aliens thing, I guess? Just. Don't expect amazingness. It did what it did, and I enjoyed the ride.

That said the author has exactly 1 chapter to wrap up killing, escaping, and resolution for all the characters, so while I feel like a single 16-25 page chapter could not possibly allow for the big bad to die AND all the members to escape AND a look back at all the characters AND epilogue/aftermath of the aliens, I'm still hopeful. It's legitimately kinda sad we're prolly not going to have both a look back at all those characters that were mildly important (although I guess technically we already had that with that one room) and an epilogue, although I guess an epilogue to kurono's story is kinda lulzy with what's happening

moog

Sponsor

That said the author has exactly 1 chapter to wrap up killing, escaping, and resolution for all the characters, so while I feel like a single 16-25 page chapter could not possibly allow for the big bad to die AND all the members to escape AND a look back at all the characters AND epilogue/aftermath of the aliens, I'm still hopeful. It's legitimately kinda sad we're prolly not going to have both a look back at all those characters that were mildly important (although I guess technically we already had that with that one room) and an epilogue, although I guess an epilogue to kurono's story is kinda lulzy with what's happening

Don't expect much. It's a shitty ending and went out like a stock anime.

Neon Genesis Evangelion...
It's quite cool so far. Although they need to stop using filler shots of random shit and actually advance the plot...

Hataraku no maou sama (demon king is working) was a good series.

Ore gairu (my teenage romcom snafu) was a great series that had a lot of meaning in it. It had good writing that you could actually trust the writers to write. One of the rare high school-join a club - shenanigans genre that was legit good.

dansai bunri no crime edge....
Okay that was
lol
Just messed up, fun, great, but at the same time bad and clearly so, yet so earnest and honest in the things it was trying to do, namely the teenage/youthful romance between the main chars. Unique, to say the least.

Hiccup":2n1phx31 said:
Neon Genesis Evangelion...
It's quite cool so far. Although they need to stop using filler shots of random shit and actually advance the plot...

Don't hold your breath on that front. The series name drops for the sake of being esoteric and slowly expounds in the vaguest way possible a glorified origin story for mankind with little to no actual exploration of such implications, but ultimately it uses a lot of episodes to say very little.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.