Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Discuss anime here.

Jason

Awesome Bro

Since this thread is making a comeback...

The only anime I've really bothered to watch was Dragon Ball, GT and Z, since y'know... it was fucking epic. If it counts, I also like just about every film by Studio Ghibli.

Oh yeah, and I've watched Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood with my brother, I'll admit I enjoyed it actually, was a pretty good series (He downloaded all the episodes lol)

Can't think of any others off the top of my head, but I suppose I'll end up picking up another sometime and watching it, as long as it has English dubs, I don't care what people say, I mean, they say "Oh, you're missing out! Japanese voice overs are the way it's MEANT to be, you don't get the full experience!" ...lolwut? I want to watch a show, not read it... (Yeah I'm aware it's easy to read subs while watching something, but if I've got the option to see it in English, I always take it...)

Jason

Awesome Bro

I've actually always wanted to watch One Piece, but apparently not many of the episodes actually have English dubs, or so I was told by someone, can't remember who...

moog":ywh8j748 said:
and ive been watching ranma from the beginning!!! i love it
haha i watched that when i was ~14-15-ish, during the PRIME TIME for all the sexual tension stuff to really amuse the hell out of me.

watched an ep not too long ago though and it still holds up as just being really cute. i caught myself giggling. i think the nostalgia helped.

Jason":39so124m said:
I've actually always wanted to watch One Piece, but apparently not many of the episodes actually have English dubs, or so I was told by someone, can't remember who...
one piece has been almost entirely dubbed, i thought?

it was fairly popular on Cartoon Network in the US some years ago (idk if it still is).

i use http://watchcartoononline.com for most of my cartoon-watching these days. they have american shows like Simpsons and Archer, and also anime.

here, did a quick search for you: http://www.watchcartoononline.com/anime/one-piece-english-dubbed-guide

their search algorithms are a little wonky so sometimes it's hard to find what you're looking for, but in my experience, you'll find nearly anything re-hosted on there.

when their links get pulled they're usually really fast in fixing them, too. but browse it with an ad-blocker and don't click their ads -- they don't filter their sponsors and have a ton of russian and chinese spam ads when unblocked!

you don't have to worry about just clicking on the videos, though. i've watched shitloads of vids on their site and have never had a single problem.

I don't get how the current season in Japan is, overall, mostly shit. As far as I know, there are only two series that are acting as pulls for the majority of viewers. Which is weird, because the spring season is when they typically have to start actually working to get people watching, so the spring and summer seasons are generally supposed to have better stuff than the fall and winter ones. But the last fall and winter season combo had some shows that actually kicked ass, and then we get this one and it's like "What happened?" The seasons that I've noticed dubs getting a lot of views for are Attack on Titan (I think that's a rough translation, can't remember the actual name), which I just can't really watch because something about it sits wrong with me. (Which is weird, because I've enjoyed series with about the same or higher levels of wrong in them) The other series that is getting a lot of views last time I checked was Data-A-Live. As best I can tell, that's getting a lot of views because it's crossing the line from "Absolutely terrible" to "so bad it's good" for a lot of people. I think it helps that half the time it would appear that it can't take itself seriously, which means you don't have to either. I'm enjoying that one, mostly because of how over-the-top its imitations of a bad visual novel are.

Jason

Awesome Bro

Venetia":1uwjwn50 said:
i use http://watchcartoononline.com for most of my cartoon-watching these days. they have american shows like Simpsons and Archer, and also anime.

here, did a quick search for you: http://www.watchcartoononline.com/anime/one-piece-english-dubbed-guide

their search algorithms are a little wonky so sometimes it's hard to find what you're looking for, but in my experience, you'll find nearly anything re-hosted on there.

when their links get pulled they're usually really fast in fixing them, too. but browse it with an ad-blocker and don't click their ads -- they don't filter their sponsors and have a ton of russian and chinese spam ads when unblocked!

you don't have to worry about just clicking on the videos, though. i've watched shitloads of vids on their site and have never had a single problem.

Cheers ven, this is why ilu so much...

Checked the list out, it goes from 1-252, fine with me... but then it skips straight to 592? What happened to the other 300 episodes?!

Jason":14by7wcx said:
Venetia":14by7wcx said:

Cheers ven, this is why ilu so much...

Checked the list out, it goes from 1-252, fine with me... but then it skips straight to 592? What happened to the other 300 episodes?!

I did a bit of looking around, everywhere else that keeps up to date with dubs stops at 252 and I have not seen anywhere else with 592. Not sure what's up with that, be it a typo or something else entirely.

Spoo

Sponsor

Shiki. A horror/suspense for a change, and a damn beautifully executed one at that. Blows Higurashi out of the water, at any rate.

Also started reading/watching Beelzebub just to see if there's a shounen I can actually enjoy. Beats Bleach/One Piece imho, but that's not saying much from me.

Spring 2013 is one of the worst in a while, in terms of quanity of quality series compared to many previous years.

There's a few p decent shows. Some of them are more of a taste thing, but w/e.

Shingeki no kyojin/attack on titan(s) - Obvious great show. Portays the manga in its own style. Solid as fuque source material combined with great execution. Bloody, violent, and massively good plot

Hataraku no maou sama/the demon lord is working - Decent series. Another of those 'based off of a light novel/light novel adapatation' animes which are often the case. It's decent, it has a general/predicatable plot structure that seethes a little bit of the whole japanese light novel/anime style, but executes it in a fun way. A decent one, nothing mind blowing but I just follow it for fun. It does have a possibility of going deeper than it does, which light novels tend to do, so if it does, makes it even better.

Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatteiru/ my romcom snafu/something along those lines. It's a basic slice of life- romantic comedy - group of people doign stuff at school type of thing. Main character is bleak and dark as hell, a loner, cause no one likes him when he was a kid/girls didn't like him, now is a dark loner dude. Forced to join a group and hey lookee that generic rom com shit. Except MC doesn't really believe in that shit, except that he does want it deep down. I'm p sure this is also based off a light novel. Unlike similar, it lacks a lot of the CRINGE wtf this is stupid, despite having much of the same premises (LOOK WEIRD CHARACTERS YAY). It's p fun, and almost halfway realistic. MC's bleakness (and main heroine) is refreshing. The harem's there, except that no one wants a harem.

I don;t watch Shingeki no kyojin, rrecently having read the entire manga, but I'm basically following the two anime series above.

Glanced at kakumei(?) valrave/valrave the liberator. It's like codegeass, made by the same studio and same writer, but lacking all the originality. Or too much shock with no enough THIS IS AWEOMSe moments, just WHOA moments. Lacks character dynamics I really care for. Obvious char development is obvious, but I don't mind, what I do mind is that the characters are just... kinda sorta boring. We got the MC who is p passive, and has a love interest. REALLY OBVIOUS 'people must have the will to fight' talk and stuff. I thought episode 1 would be sorta kinda, like, different - people important seemed to die, MC didn't pussyfoot and confess first episode (sorta. failed, not his fualt), stuff that almost seemed sorta original. Buuuuuuuutttt three/four episodes in, and despite a major character subverting major expectations, I still don't have the major pull and attention grabber that was the entertaining Code Geass. It might get epic, I guess, but the comparisons to Code geass show how much better formatted/plotted Code Geass was. Same concept(s), different execution, I might keep up with this if it's good. Stopped at 3/4 epsidoes currently.

Other series I DIDN'T watch for a reason or another.

OreImo - I was reading the light novel series, and the translations cut off roughly where this series (ore imo season 2) began and it's like
what the fuqueing god, characters do shit like this? My gods when I read light novels I skip over SO MUCH CRINGE. I honestly sorta hate everyone in this series from WATCHING the show, not even reading it. Lolnope.

Hentai ouji warawanai neko/pervert .... prince and the nonlaughing cat? Just realized I never learned the english name for this series. Anyways, read the manga (wonder if it's based off a LN series as well?), and the manga was really decent, but, eh, I didn't get too far and I'm guessing it has a major option to go generic. I suspect haremism is already in the works, from what I recall. Might be good, but I prolly will just read the manga - it's been a while since I read it. Now that I think about it I might cringe a lot watching it. Hmm.

Aku no hana/flowers of evil - gods, the manga was dark/perverted. I've heard interesting stuff about the anime, and I THINK the anime goes farther than the manga, seeing as the manga isn'tfinished. I might just read the manga again, tbh, it was dark and fun, but the anime will have a style. That said, the situations are dark and slightly cringey, so we'll see.

There are others that seem, meh, okay, but those are all I really care about. I only really keep up with two series this season.

From the current season, I'm watching Attack on Titan, The Devil Is a Part-Timer, and Gargantia. I agree that the current season is lackluster and the only standout is Titan.

I'm really disappointed with Gargantia, which I was pumped for because it's apparently directed by the same guy who did Psycho-Pass and Madoka, except he didn't actually write most of it and it's turning out to be very shallow. The last episode brought it from about a 7/10 to about a 5/10.

Titan is great so far, although I'm a little skeptical after the last episode.
I don't know how I feel about Eren coming back. I really don't like death fakeouts, but his death didn't feel dramatically appropriate either, and it was obvious he was coming back in some form. There was this weird situation after his death scene where he simultaneously couldn't live and couldn't die due to conflicting life/death flags, and I figured having him turn into a titan was a good compromise, but it's reeeaally pushing it if he's actually back. I guess we'll have to see how it goes. The writing has otherwise been good, so I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt for now.

I'm also enjoying Devil even though I don't usually watch comedy shows and expected it to be awful. It's nothing great but is entertaining and well written for what it is.

Attack on titan's plot never gets worse, to be honest. It's honestly only going to get better. There's also SO MUCH of it too, and in my opinion, the manga is nowhere near ending. Questions sorta get answered, but no fully, not *yet*, while more questions appear - every single story arc ends with bunch of people dead and a cliffhanger.

Additionally, it's continuously deserving of its tragedy tags, at all points in time. I'm wondering how many humans will be left alive by the time the manga (and by extension anime) ends.

Spoo

Sponsor

conchshell":l4wj7wd4 said:
Ok im watching haruhi and its dumb as fuck

Well, yeah; it's a flagship for modern anime. The novels are somewhat more bearable, if you're up for that.

Also Cross†Channel is now officially the most unexpectedly depressing thing in the history of everything. I mean, you can go to its TVTropes page for the loose details, but I recommend downloading that thing and seeing for yourself [CAUTION: NSFW AS TITS (there are tits, too)].

moog

Sponsor

I get the whole LOL ANIME HEH WE ARE SATIRICAL NOW WATCH THE SAME EPISODE IN DIFFERENT COSTUMES but its horrible gimmick because most english translations are still lol cliche anime gimmicky. Only one that sort of got it right was FLCL.

that sentence sounds weird but I hope you get what i mean

Spoo

Sponsor

Nah, the endless eight has no justification whatsoever. The whole deal with that storyline was to build up to the movie, the basic conflict of which is that

Yuki goes totally batshit insane because she's the only one who remembers every repetition of the, what, 500-something years?

As far as dubs, there are quite a few I thought that were good. Cowboy Bebop, DBZ...Fullmetal Alchemist was alright, I guess. I don't think quality was what you were getting at, though.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.