Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Discuss anime here.

moog

Sponsor

the premise is awesome, I mean what's not to love? the problem is that the execution is absolutely terribly done. The characters are all 1D and static as hell, the dialog as you mentioned wasnt very good. Its a good time killer but only if like, there is nothing else good on. Its not something youd watch on netflix EVER. but, to each his own, if you liked it then props to ya man

I read highschool of the dead and loved it.
Watched the anime and i was like :crazy:
The sexuality is FORCIBLY overt; on paper I can just skim past the shittiness of dialogue and whatnot, and cut straight to the fact that the series is pure fun.
If you have to endure the anime and whatnot, with the fucking voices and drama and sexuality it's like... no.

Spoo

Sponsor

Mother Gloria":1dgj5j1q said:
the premise is awesome, I mean what's not to love? the problem is that the execution is absolutely terribly done. The characters are all 1D and static as hell, the dialog as you mentioned wasnt very good. Its a good time killer but only if like, there is nothing else good on. Its not something youd watch on netflix EVER. but, to each his own, if you liked it then props to ya man

I probably sounded like I was trying to shit on your opinion before; my bad there.

katawa shoujo: the visual novel where there is some disability girl?
I've heard about it because I messed around with its engine (ren'py?) and the company might have been one of the more popular creators with the engine.
As far as I know it's good visual novel, and that's about it. Doubt any adaptation to other media will happen. I don't mess around with visual novels much, even with good reviews/hype.

Spoo

Sponsor

I haven't tried any other VNs since Shuffle. I should probably give a few more a try. I've already played through Clannad, so I'm sort of stumped.

If you're gonna play a visual novel, play fate/stay night or anything else by type moon. They have amazing stuff story wise (so I've heard. I've read the mangas and o_0 they're amazing).

I read Tsukihime and was unimpressed. The art is terrible and the writing is mediocre, and you have to beat it more than once to get to the part that's actually interesting. That said, the Type-Moon universe is pretty interesting, but I thought Kara no Kyoukai was much more interesting and well done for a kind of weird alternate universe take on some of the same concepts.

I haven't read a lot of VNs, but I don't like the ones I've read. I feel like they combine the weaknesses of anime and novels and not the strengths. I haven't seen one that had writing anywhere near comparable to what I consider a good book, and of course you can't have quality animation with a bunch of stills. I feel the same way about manga too, for that matter. So maybe I'm not the best person to ask. But I think that the really interesting thing about VNs, the ability to pursue different takes on the same events, isn't capitalized on as much as it could be.

Spoo

Sponsor

Perihelion":1dpx5can said:
But I think that the really interesting thing about VNs, the ability to pursue different takes on the same events, isn't capitalized on as much as it could be.

That's more or less exclusively the reason I play them. Most of the time I don't even realize that an anime is an adaptation of a VN until long after I watch it (examples being ef, Clannad, Kanon, Shuffle, and every other thing). Same goes for Haruhi. I watched the series and started reading the light novels afterward. They're not so bad; they expand on the story a bit and it's a hell of a lot better than watching the endless eight (actually the whole ordeal is about a page of repetition and another twenty pages of Kyon's ramblings about how things see familiar but w/e). Worth a read, if you want more from the series.

moog

Sponsor

GANTZ GANTZ GANTZ

dead man wonderland started up on Adult Tsunami and I dont really like it that much. its typical and the mediocre violence doesnt make it good. its like AS said, "hey look at THIS SHIT. profanity censors and blood! take that fagets"

Spoo

Sponsor

moog":xuhth3mp said:
GANTZ GANTZ GANTZ

dead man wonderland started up on Adult Tsunami and I dont really like it that much. its typical and the mediocre violence doesnt make it good. its like AS said, "hey look at THIS SHIT. profanity censors and blood! take that fagets"

gantz was good in that it gave no shit about blood and tits. the main protagonist's dub was godawful though.

recently watched the second season of black lagoon, which started out creepy as fuck and sort of felt depressing throughout. even more recently watched nisemonogatari; a short amazing show that is quirky and violent, just like ti's first season. i really dug the way it presented itself.

No ID

Sponsor

been watch a show called future diary on hulu recently. this show is weird if nothing else, but for some reason i keep clicking onto the next episode.

Spoo

Sponsor

I'm pretty far into Cross†Channel now, and I was surprised going through it. I picked it up because there's an addicting flash game based off it, so I was expecting it to be the violent sort of funny I tend to like out of anime. Initially, it was quite a lot of that.

What I didn't expect was some dark as fuck scenes, more than one instance of rape, and extremely depressing main character deaths. I had to stop playing literally because I was getting so bummed out over what was going on.

But I'd call it worth it. It's slow going and it has an extraordinarily annoying habit of tossing the same scene at you in a flashback (more than once), but it's a cool experience still.

Okay, well I've just finished watching Rebuild of Evangelion in 360p on Youtube...
And came looking for a thread like this to just say...
I absolutely loved it! Me being an old original NGE fan, I had to look at 2.0 and 1.0 as standalone, with no comparison and with an open mind. But boy am I glad that I did. No movie has ever made feel so many emotions before! The original series was good, Rebuild is definitely my favourite now though. Can't wait for the 3.0 release.

Jason

Awesome Bro

I like the anime where the robot tentacle monster rapes the 12 year old girl, I forgot the name of it though... any help?

~This isn't funny or appropriate for the topic. If you arent going to contribute to a topic then dont post in it.
-Management

Spoo

Sponsor

So back to this...uhm.

Ga-Rei: Zero, which is a really good, albeit short, action anime. A nice OST and some great moments. The animation is done really well and the ending ties things up really well, considering it's a prequel to a manga series.

Itazura no Kiss because apparently I'm a vagina now. Probably the most ditzy romance I've ever watched, but I guess it was good...I think? I can't rate things like this for the life of me. Had several good emotional scenes and one minor character I really empathized with. It's story spans eight years, I think, so there's plenty of variety in the problems the main protags face.

Watched more Samurai Champloo, because I fucking love Shinichiro Watanabe's work (those being, Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo). Almost done with the series. Not much to say. Fight scenes are still great and characters are still interesting.

Watched Oban Star Racers for the first time in some seven(?) years. Holy balls it's really good, especially for a toon disney anime that was made in france. maybe i'm blinded by nostalgia but w/e i suppose.

and a whole shitload of VN's I don't care to list right now.

I am watching Mushi-Shi at the moment and if you have never watched it you should check it out for sure. It's really good, every episode is unique and it looks really good. I can't stop watching it :D wish it was longer lol

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.