Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

What games are you currently playing?

I played KH2 (original release) for a few hours on Proud Mode. I wanted to do a "speedrun" as a Magic user. But I found it's not really fun. Because at low-levels you can exhaust your MP before you ever kill anything. And that's just the reality of the original release.
But in the remix/rereleases they made Reflect OP and can one-shot hoards of enemies.

Been playing some Yu-Gi-Oh! Legacy of the Duellist: Link Evolution... I'm not far yet, but it is alright. Currently playing through the original YGO, so mostly weak Normal monsters...

I grew tired of Legacy of the Duelist... there's many hours in there, but the campaign is pretty monotonous. And it is a lot of playing bad decks. But the annoying thing is, the AI cheats a bit; it is a lot more consistent with drawing key cards. This is fairly obvious since the game has a mode where in the campaign, you can play the other person. And funnily enough, when you play the deck that beat you for 15-30 attempts, you struggle to get what they had going, and yet the deck you used originally is now the one getting all its plays off. And it's not that the AI is super smart, as it makes some questionable decisions.

So I decided to switch over to Duel Links again on a whim... but I realised it has almost all my of my favourite Archetype in the game now (Gravekeepers)! So I spent a bunch of money buying cards... But I also did a bunch of PVP, and got my lacklustre GK deck from bottom of Rookie, all through Bronze and Silver to the bottom of Gold in one day! :shades:

Hybrida

☆ Biggest Ego ☆

Currently playing Resident Evil 3 (remake). Jill is ugly, nemesis is uglier, and OMG. An okay game. Why is America so obsessed with putting borderline ugly women in everything? Ugh. Don't answer.

I've notice gotcha games never ever have ugly characters. Interesting.

Hybrida":20c6jdmx said:
Currently playing Resident Evil 3 (remake). Jill is ugly, nemesis is uglier, and OMG. An okay game. Why is America so obsessed with putting borderline ugly women in everything? Ugh. Don't answer.

I've notice gotcha games never ever have ugly characters. Interesting.

Man, R3make pisses me off so much! Remake Nemesis behaves more like original Mr X whilst remake Mr X behaves more like original Nemesis, then they cut out a ton of content, including the Mad Jackal minigame at the end... 3 is my favourite, and they fucked in favour of Resident Leon 2, and Resident Leon 4.

Though tbh, I would say that a lot of Jill's face designs have been naaaasty. My favourite would be when they used Julia Voth as her face model.

You mean Gacha games, yeah? Gotcha, lol...

Hybrida

☆ Biggest Ego ☆

LOL. The typo applies to me personally. *See a beautiful anime girl*

"Oooooo I wanna play her game." Gotcha!! We got yo' azz, bro.

"Now I'm stuck paying or grinding for gold to unlock a cute waifu...."
It's like Bait. Granblue Fantasy I'm talking about you.

Hybrida

☆ Biggest Ego ☆

Okay, uhhh. I'm playing windows *Minesweeper*. I'm so good, I can beat expert mode without using flags. (Under 600 seconds)

With flags my expert mode fastest time is 108 seconds.

user1-dark.png

Playing FF11 for a little bit while it's free.
Leveled up some jobs so I could uses Skill Scrolls that were taking up inventory space.
I did the quest to unlock Blue Mage but I don't know if I want to level it up.
There are still a few other jobs I haven't unlocked, like corsair, I can't get the quest to start.

You're almost maxed out, Ellie! Almost out of content...

I've been playing some TES: Oblivion... it uh, hasn't aged well. Levelling is a mess, and the combat is pretty boring, which is exasperated by damage sponge enemies!

Completed the Odin and Alexander fights for their Summoner Pact. So the only Avatar I'm missing is the relatively recent Siren, but I don't have the expansion for it, dang it.

Did the final Inventory size increase. Not that I really need it.

I also ran into this Notorious Monster, Cerberus. Actually took a little longer to defeat than the Odin and Alexander fights. And I got it's rare sword drop, but it's a lv75 weapon. Lame. I might hang on to it if I ever unlock the Paladin Class.
For some reason that feels like more of an accomplishment than getting the Summoner Pacts even thought it's just a random encounter.

I keep starting my characters over & over on Oblivion... the game design just blows my mind, but in the worse possible ways! Getting stronger slows XP gain, and the world linearly scales as you level, but how much you gain per level can vary wildly unless you go out of your way to track your skill levels and grind them up. Then you got some basic issues; such as blocking a sword slash could leave you staggered, letting the foe get a free hit on you... doesn't that sound backwards? Just a normal slash too, no special power attacks or anything.

I played this game originally back in the 00s, but never got far. I'm determined to thoroughly finish it this time though... once I figure out a character build I enjoy enough. Honestly I've spent more time theorizing what to play (then not liking it) than playing. And due to the whole levelling up & scaling issues, just winging it is a bad idea...

I know mods can fix a lot of this stuff, and I did try some of them for a bit... but if I'm going to go through all this effort, I want to do it how it was intended; not how fans improved it. Got the Unofficial Patches though! Screw bugs and glitches...

Just played through Life Is Strange for the first time. Really liked the journey. The mechanics were cool, I liked all the characters and it was really well executed... except the endings. One had the budget, but felt like a big plothole. The other made a tonne more sense for the entire story, but was half baked, which soured the whole thing as a result. The final episode left a lot to be desired too, as did part of the 4th.

Mechanically, the game has some annoyances... being thorough is pretty definitely one; a lot of the interactables are just inane and don't add to the world building. Doesn't help that it flags multiple interactables that have the same outcome, even though you've already experienced that outcome. But it is inconsistent with that too, as sometimes you get something new & different... The game is based around a rewind mechanic, but the game heavily restricts you use of that! You can't do it mid-conversation or cutscene, but what the big issue is, is that it is cut off if you reach a checkpoint. Which is a great for a game all about testing different outcomes and approaches; choose a specific option and boom, locked out of all your other options. Which forced me to reload from the last checkpoint... but then you can't use the fast-forward on cutscenes & dialogue as you "haven't seen it yet".

Now I'm working my way through the prequel, Before the Storm.
Briefly looked into buying the sequel too, but even with a discount it feels too steep a price for what you get, but that could just be that the premise of the sequel doesn't grab me much, as it is an entirely new cast with a new power.

I bought the Witcher Trilogy for like $10 on steam. But I can barely play the first game on my laptop. I mean, the loading screens are so sloooow. It's like Sonic '06 bad. And this is a game from 2007, so I'm pretty sure it's the game and not my laptop.

Ah, I remember playing a bit of the first Witcher! I don't recall loading issues? Two main things I remembered was the clunky combat... and that you'd collect revealing playing cards of the women you shagged... was weird.

I've now finished Before the Storm! And funnily, I think I prefer this prequel to Life Is Strange? That doesn't seem to be common from what I've read! This one replaces the time-manipulation powers with a backtalk mechanic, which worked great as you're playing a rebellious teen! Whilst LiS was essentially a murder mystery, Before the Storm felt like a (chaotic) slice of life, which probably helped it resonate more with me.

Before the Storm felt more focussed. However it was developed by a different team, and I think that shows... LiS you spend a lot of time learning the good & bad about a specific character you never encounter, and in BtS you spend most your time with that character. Which is great, except that they don't feel like quite the same person? Now it could be a bit of a 'unreliable narrative' thing going on, as a lot of what you learned in LiS was from people's opinions, or it could be the years in the middle. Because even though it is a prequel, there is still a time jump between BtS and LiS.

I definitely came away from BtS sad and confused, which I can't say was the same with LiS; I guess I was too hung up on the endings and plotholes there. People seem to be divided on that specific character, and honestly I'm not sure what I think; I definitely got swept up in the emotions just like the main character did. But after seeing some points-of-view, I can definitely see how the MC was manipulated by that character in multiple ways.

These 2 games do a great job of making their characters feel like real, flawed people. However happiness is fleeting; you won't be by journey's end.

Playing Agarest War 2.
Actually it's more like Agarest War (3). It was released after Agarest War ZERO. So you start by loading a completed game file from that game, but not first game.

The game is improved at least, but it's still slow. (Here I am, talking about a game from 2012) Maybe slower, because I got a cheaper ps3 physical copy. It takes like 1 minute to "load data" just to get the to title screen. I can hear my ps3 laser head sliding around. Even during cutscenes, like it's loading something, I dunno what it could be.
I made sure to download the 15+ Free DLC packs from PS Store before it closes this year on the ps3. They just give you lots of craft items and money. So in theory there will be less farming. Ugh, I can already feel my soul escaping my body.
I also learned my lesson with the first game, and will be unlocking things in sequence.

The cutscenes are obnoxiously sluggish. A character with say something and then there will be a 2-4 second pause before the next line. But what I can do is press "skip" which is really "Fastforward", wait a few seconds, and then open up the text log and just read what they say at a normal pace.

Oh, last friday I tried my hand at another FF9 Excaliber II speedrun. But by disc 3 I was 45minutes behind my previous best time. It's all to do with random encounters, man. My best disc 3 save file is over 7 hours, maybe closer to 8. Although all the guides say it's a decent time, you have to get to the final dungeon in under 12 hours. But my runs end at Ipsen Castle.

Spoo

Sponsor

I've been in a realistic shooter mood lately, so it's been ARMA and Squad for me. I also picked up Ground Branch since it piqued my interest. It's headed up by one of the designers of the original Rainbow Six games up to Vegas 2. It's pretty fun; customization is nuts.

Also been working on crafting in FFXIV. Carpenter and Blacksmith are maxed. Every other skill is at at least 62/80.

Just when my backlog was starting to dwindle, I find myself with a bunch more games and not giving myself time to play it.
Actually, I do have time, but I end up revising old games instead new games...Is this a sign I'm getting old?

In Agarest War 2, I stopped playing after the first generation.
The Witcher; I played what felt like the first hour of the game, but because of slow loading screen it feels more like 3 hours. And I don't have any motivation to keep playing it.

FFXI has another free play weekend, I'm trying not to play too much. Just collecting log in points. Maybe level up some job classes I'll never use. I think about buying the expansions, but I just know, the day I do buy it they'll shut down the servers.

I also got the urge to revisit FF12. I don't think I've truly replayed it from start to finish since the first time I played it. I usually end up dropping it reaching the Sochen Cave Palace because you have to grind and do the side hunts. I'm realizing how sparse the story is. I mean, it's not like Dark Souls. But you have Vaan and Penelo who are seemingly irrelevant to the plot. They cut the story down to the bare minimum of events. I guess I didn't pay that close attention; there's a theory that Vaan and Reks were originally Vayne's older unnamed brothers that he allegedly killed. And there's some mystery as to why Vaan could see Rasler's ghost but not the others.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.