Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

What games are you currently playing?

picked up a bunch of used ps3 games to add to my rpg library. Disgaea 3, Dark Souls, Dragons Dogma (expanded re-release) and one other game I know nothing about.

I really wanted to get Persona 5 and Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch. But even USED they're still high priced and weren't eligible for the but 2 get 2 free offer.

Jason

Awesome Bro

If you were in the UK I'd happily send you my copies, got the Ni no Kuni remaster on PS4, and got Persona 5 Royal preordered lol

Spent three weeks playing Nioh, really enjoyed it, maybe my favourite soulslike game, or second favourite behind Demon's Souls but that's probably due to nostalgia and how proud I was of getting the platinum legitimately, lol.

Playing Kingdom Hearts 3 now, it's so pretty.

This last game I got is called NAtURAL DOCtRINE.
I have never heard of it before. From what I can tell it was some kind of Rpg with some Online multiplayer mode. I wasn't looking that closely, apparently it has a Mature rating. I'm expecting some nudity. It doesn't look particularly graphic or gorey.
It was a cross platform title, so it's got the feel of a clunky PSP game. The voice acting isn't the worst, but definitely lacking direction, so it's bad.
It's a blind buy for me. But that's what I loved about PS1 games. Go to the bargain bin, pull something out, accidentally discover a new favorite. That's the hope anyways.

I forgot I know most of Disgaea 3's plot already. I must have watched it on youtube at some point.
I have high expectations for Dragon's Dogma.
And Dark Souls, well, I've never played it but the internet tells me it's going to be pretty hard. I got the impression it had some rich lore, but that might be the later games.

Jason

Awesome Bro

Natural Doctrine wasn't too bad to be honest, I mean, it reviewed shit but then again any Japanese game that isn't part of one of the big franchises gets bombarded anyway... but yeah it's clunky as fuck, but I felt it was... "acceptable"

Disgaea 3 is still my favourite in the series, Mr. Champloo is top tier!

Dragon's Dogma is legit an underrated gem that I wish more people bought so we'd have gotten a "next gen" sequel or something, I reckon you'll enjoy it to be honest.

As for Dark Souls, yeah it's filled with lore and shit, and overall just a top tier game, very well made although some areas can be frustrating as fuck, but the world as a whole is just great. As for difficulty, I do feel like people like to inflate that, and with a little patience and a few levels here and there, the difficulty drops drastically... *has flashbacks to the Ornstein and Smough fight*... yeeeaaah. Some bosses are just dicks!

Mega Flare

Awesome Bro

coyotecraft":2loo7up1 said:
picked up a bunch of used ps3 games to add to my rpg library. Disgaea 3, Dark Souls, Dragons Dogma (expanded re-release) and one other game I know nothing about.

I really wanted to get Persona 5 and Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch. But even USED they're still high priced and weren't eligible for the but 2 get 2 free offer.
They both 20-30 brand new here in canada

I've been playing Kingdom Come: Deliverance ever since it was free on the Epic Games Store. I've really been enjoying it. It's a realistic medieval RPG set in the 15th century Holy Roman Empire, with realistic weapons and armor, and realistic piles of excrement everywhere.

And there are, realistically, long stretches of nothing along the roads, fields, and forests. It's pretty, and there are occasionally ambushes, or a knight looking for a duel, or a pilgrim or a merchant or whatever. The long stretches of nothing make the combat and random encounters more meaningful. (And if you travel at night, you probably will get ambushed in the forest.) But if Amy thought Skyrim was too sparse, KCD may well bore her to death.

Free week for Final Fantasy XI
I've finally decided to wrap up the Wings of the Goddess storyline. It's so bad. You have to revise the same out-of-the-way location a dozen times which is like a 5 min walk. Triggering events requires you entering from a specific place. Wait a "day". Unequipped your weapons for dumb reasons, if it weren't for a walk-through guide you'd have no idea what to do or where to go.
The monotony and frustratingly vague directions made me die a little inside.

That said, I got me my Cait Sith and Atomos summons. I'm never going to use them. I was planning on playing more, but I hit a dead end with this one Add-on story, I don't have to expansion pack needed to continue it.
Surprisingly they're still adding on to the game. This year they made the Siren summon available, but it requires a certain expansion pack too, which i have no plans to obtain.

I'm a little surprised FFXI is still around. I'm also a little surprised it isn't just free-to-play now. It's funny to think that FFXI is the first console MMO, from the era when consoles weren't even online. You had to go buy a special module for your PS2 to put it online.

Dark Souls has very rich lore, even in just the first game, but you have to pay attention in order to learn it. You put the pieces together by reading item descriptions and paying attention to NPC dialog. And then the lore that you learn in the first game gets expanded in the second game.

Fayte

Sponsor

I started live-streaming The Last of Us on monday to not only give myself a refresher in preparation for TLOU2 but also because of the times we’re currently in it only seemed “appropriate.” I beat it today though. I streamed 4 hours of gameplay each day which means the game is only about 12 hours long? I don’t remember it being so short.

Anyway, I beat Eternal Sonata for the first time not too long ago and to continue on beating games I’ve never beat before I starting playing final fantasy 12. The offline MMO style for a battle system is absolutely trash and I hate it. I’m also not a fan of the whole license board system either but aside from all that I’m having a good time playing the game and the story is interesting so far.

Hyped hyped hyped for FFVII

But I've been playing other PS4 games to get used to the controller.

Skyrim VR literally made me throw up.

There are a few crap RPGs on PSNow too. Haven't found anything good yet.

Still on the Zodiyak on Runescape 3... and it is stupidly designed when on Ironmen. It's a restricted-account that you opt in for... essentially you're self reliant and no microtransanctions.

But the requirements seem to be super unbalanced; we can't trade, buy or pick-up drops from players. The tasks are split into make and gather... such as Catch 970 Swordfish... or Smelt 4,960 Rune Bars. Other players can buy the ores to make the task nice and quick, which I gather is what it's balanced around.

But Ironmen can't do that. So that task essentially reads as "Collect almost 10,000 ore, then smelt almost 5,000 bars". Collecting even just 4,960 ore alone takes longer than 970 fish.

We get a lot less rewards already as many are microtransanction-related. Plus the requirements go up as your levels do. So that means I have like 12,000 bars that are now too low level for the smithing tasks... or the fish for the cooking tasks... or... :mad:

Hot damn! Guild Wars 1 has had an update with some new skills & weapons for it's 15th anniversary. It hasn't an real update since well... the 10th anniversary! There's a event active in order to get all the new goodies, some bizarre things though. :smile:

Fayte

Sponsor

I beat FF7R a couple days ago and it was NOT the game I thought it was going to be. I commend square for trying to create a game that appeased to both the JRPG and Western RPG crowd, but man they dropped the ball on SO many aspects. What could have been a perfect title turned out to be an annoying, handholding mess of a game. It was still super fun though, so there’s that.

I give it a solid 8/10

Xhukari":11m2dckb said:
Hot damn! Guild Wars 1 has had an update with some new skills & weapons for it's 15th anniversary. It hasn't an real update since well... the 10th anniversary! There's a event active in order to get all the new goodies, some bizarre things though. :smile:
God I feel old now.

I downloaded a handful of demos on steam, for research purposes.
I picked up a random save file from .hack GU vol 2 and played through it.
I finally beat this underwater boss fight in Xenogears that I've been stuck on, but I didn't feel like playing it further.
I stuck in Cross Edge on a whim, but even with a NG+ file I could feel the madness setting in. It's a shit game. SHIT! I can feel my brain melting. I had to take a nap afterwards and I had this fever dream sensation that my personal hell would be suffering these Compile Heart games and their granular progression systems. The repetition. The fact that you can turn off battle animations and kill things in 1-hit. But you still have to suffer though individual death animations, and item prompts, and your entire party of 20+ characters leveling up at the same time, and repeating the same line for the hundredth time while you distribute 1 - ONE!- stat point that doesn't make any difference to the flow of battle. *internal screaming*

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.