Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

What games are you currently playing?

Terraria is bad for my health. But I finally beat it and will probably never touch it again. After beating the final boss, The Moon Lord, I fought it few more times. It's the only way to get the final ore. Then I spent an extra hour mining the jungle for this stupid green ore which you have to wait to grow, and you then convert to 2 other materials. That's an annoying bottleneck. Actually, there's this other ore which you have to re-summon the other bosses to get, but I already had a stockpile of that from however long ago it was I played. With all of that you can craft a drill mount, which plows though blocks amazingly fast. Wish it was available sooner.
I took it for a joy ride but there's nothing else to do.
Beating the final boss was nice, but it was kind of a hollow ending. There's no closure. no credit roll.

There's a Terraria 1.4 coming sometime this year. It sounds like it's mostly graphic & sound updates. Some new biomes: Oasis and a Graveyard. A new boss for the ocean. I probably won't come back for that.
There's suppose to be a Terraria 2, eventually. Possibly with a story mode or some kind of lore. I mean, that's the kind of new experience they'd have to deliver in order to get back players. "New Blocks" to dig isn't going to cut it.

I picked up the ps3 ffx/ffx2 HD remaster. It was like $5.
I wasn't planning on playing it anytime soon because I had just played it earlier this year. But! Ffx-2 has these new dress spheres and a monster capture training thing, which makes it feel like a whole new game. The battle system is so cozy, grinding from 1 to 99 in an afternoon feels smooth and satisfying.

I've been playing Don't Starve again, specifically Reign of Giants.

Surprising how fun this game is still. I always kind of liked the Tim Burton-y art style and the creepiness/dread. It's kind of fun to see how long you can survive into the harsher seasons (summer/winter) especially if you can manage to get like +300 days of surviving, which I have before.

I think I might restart my RoG save though, the location I choose for my base wasn't too optimal nor was the resource distribution for stuff like food and twigs (I had plenty of grass and wood)

Generally, I try not to rush exploration but I'll think I'll settle as soon as I can find an optimal location...preferably with a Savanna with some rabbits and hopefully a closeby forest and grasslands. Then if I'm able to find a perfect locale like that as early as day 3-4, I try to rush as many crockpots/drying racks/etc as I can then prep for winter/summer really hard and/or get myself a log suit and spear in case I have to fight a seasonal boss at some point.

I finished one play though of Wizardry: Labyrinth of lost souls. The Ps2 Wizardry: The Forsaken Land is far far superior in terms or production values. It's got immersive scenarios written out to explain game mechanics. Like, Bishops can appraisal items, but sometimes it'll fail, and sometimes they'll be paralyzed with fear. You actually witness that happen to another adventuring party in The Forsaken Land.

What I like about Wizardry is that it actual maintains the idea that there are other adventurer parties in these dungeons. Other dungeon crawling RPG pretend there's somekind of economy based around a dungeon. But then your party is the only one around.
You know, like the .hack games at least spawned other players into dungeons to maintain the illusion that you're in a MMORPG.

In Labyrinth of Lost Souls you have your choice of, we'll call them "campaign characters", that you can play as. And then you can recruit more at the guild. These characters can populate the guild and be staged inside the dungeon to be available to join any of the campaign characters. With some limitations, like Evil and Good aligned characters won't party up.
The first time through, you'll probably just stick with a party of 6. But when you create a new lv1 character, the lv25+ characters can carry them though the dungeon.
The annoying thing is that the quests require random item drops. So it doesn't matter how strong you are. You have to wait for the right encounters and hope they drop what you're after. That always seemed like a terrible idea to me but it kinda makes sense with this set up. Like the idea is that siblings are going to borrow each other's characters.

Unfortunately, with Labyrinth of Lost Souls, the hours and hours of gameplay is only rewarded with a story that could probably fit on a 2 page word document. All campaign characters have to play through the same quests, except the 3rd quest is unique to them as is reward. The Elf male, my first character, is a botanist. He's incited to find a leaf of knowledge, that supposedly comes from a tree that grows in the dungeon. The leaf, as it turns out, is a talisman accessory. The stupid thing is he can't even equip it because its for females only, for some reason.

All of this makes for a really backwards difficulty cure. And unlike the forsaken land, the labyrinth game doesn't bother with any narrative introductions. There's nothing explaining what the class change requirements are. That bishops can appraise items, and only a thief can disarm traps. By level 8 Mages can warp you back to town. You need all of these.

And then there's some pretty stupid design concepts. Like you'd expect a map item to be, you know a map. But it's not actually a map. Possessing one just lets you open the map menu. And it's blank until you explore areas yourself. Which is dumb. Because logically any map should do, but some floor require a special map item to let you see the map.
And then there's torches. Not sure what they actually do. There's patches of "magical darkness" that you'd expect would require a magic torch. But nooo. You're just suppose to navigate them blind. So what do the magic torches do? I don't know! Some hidden mechanic with encounters I suspect.

I've been playing RuneScape again. It's one of those games I could never stop playing, despite putting it down every now and then for 2-4 months.

I finally unlocked Invention a couple of days ago. The 80 Divination grind was boring as hell, even with Hall of Memories and super-div potions. I'm at 30 Invention now, shooting for 60 before I stop for a while.

I've made a few small but really major accomplishments with my +10 year old account now. Invention is one of them. I'm shooting for Prifddinas relatively soon as I have all pf the Plague's End required stats except for Prayer and Construction. I'm only three levels away from 75 Construction and I have 15ish levels of Prayer to grind out. Once I take care of Invention and Construction, I'm gonna buy like 20m worth in searing ashes and get the Morytania Legs 2 before hand so I can start stockpiling slime for the Ectofuntus sooner.

I'm not one for trophies but I got everything for this Wizardry game except for the Bull Shit trophies. Like clock in 200 hours? Pls. I beat the game with all 10 characters in under 40. What am I suppose to do? Leave my PS3 run while I sleep? There's also a trophy for killing 15,000 and 50,000 enemies. 15000 is do able, I'm about halfway there. But 50,000? By my estimates I could get there in about 27 hours of just auto battling walking down a looping hallway with a 100% encounter rate item.
Yeah no. I'm not doing that.

Okay since I'm officially done with them and have everything but Plague's End done for the Prifddinas requirements in RuneScape, I just will say...I haaaaaate mirror light-beam puzzles.

Xilef":2xzn1gr4 said:
Started a Minecraft server. Anyone here play Minecraft?
I'm still a pretty avid Minecrafter, although I haven't played on PC in quite some time as I'm a filthy console peasant. Might be interested, though.

Excellent. It's a friends and family server basically for me to show off my Mojang developer cape once I get that in January. Waiting for the DNS servers to settle before giving out the address and adding people to the whitelist.

I've thought a few times over the years that I might want to give Minecraft a try. I can just never justify paying $30 for an old video game. I don't have enough time to play the huge number of free games I get from Epic, GoG, and Humble. I might consider buying Minecraft if it ever went on sale for $5 or something. That's roughly my ceiling for buying anything on Steam now.

I'm playing through Wasteland 2 right now. (Got it free at GoG.) I love it. I really enjoyed the early Fallout games, and this definitely gives me the same feeling.

One irritating thing though is that I remember being able to press spacebar in old Fallout in order to start turn-based mode. That way I could get all of my guys (I guess that must have been Fallout Tactics then?) into position before the fight starts. But in Wasteland 2, pressing spacebar only switches me to individual movement mode, and the fight often starts before I've set up my guys.

And the icon for punching--or just not having a weapon in that slot--is a fist closed around the thumb. Seriously, why would anyone do that? Has not every kid in America learned how to punch someone properly by the age of six? How did the artist, art director, and playtesters let this game get away with desert rangers who make fists like a bunch of little sissies?

Last couple nights I've been playing FF9 on ps3. "Speedrunning" but I'm not very good at it. Or rather, I'm not very lucky. I really just wanted to try getting Excalibur II which requires you get to the final dungeon under 12 hours. I made it to the Desert Palace at 11 hours so I knew I wasn't going to make it.
So much of it is just avoiding encounters, they really add up. You can button smash through all the cutscenes, run straight from plot point to plot point, ignore the optional events and most chests, and still not make it. I don't think equipment and item management is that big of a factor unless you're aiming for a world record. There's stuff that people equip for safety, immunity abilities or element-absorb accessory. But for the most part it's all about avoiding battles.
I remember someone spent hours trying to get the perfect save file. Running from save point to save point without encounters.

coyotecraft":seh9sn45 said:
Last couple nights I've been playing FF9 on ps3. "Speedrunning" but I'm not very good at it. Or rather, I'm not very lucky. I really just wanted to try getting Excalibur II which requires you get to the final dungeon under 12 hours.
I wanted to do an Excalibur II run but I've had the impression that 80% of the work is planning the route, what items you get, what level you'll be at to feasibly beat bosses, not a speed-run but an attempt at good execution (some encounters are likely desired for levelling up, eat, ability points, steal items, etc).

Every now and then I play a chunk of the game again and end up stealing the rare from a boss first try and that makes me wish I had reset optimised such luck prior.

I just got to the end of Disk 1 in 3hrs. The speedrunners on youtube have 2.5hrs so I don't think that's too bad. Sometimes you hit a bad room with like 3 encounters in a row. That could easily take 5mins just trying to run/flee.
My previous Disk 1 end time was 4hrs and something. But I picked up Quina and learned Limit Glove thinking I was going cheese the bosses with that. But it's not very time efficient, I also forgot to visit the chocobo forest which would save time getting to and from the black mage village.

Playing WILD ARMS 3. Ps2. I've never finished this game. I rented it a couple times, way back when, then I bought it Used and had it for years but never got anywhere. I played it so sporadically that it's easy lose track of where you're suppose to go. The only annoying part is the world map where you have to scan areas to find locations. But even when you know where the place is at, sometimes it's locked behind an NPC talk event. Like you got to talk to an NPC with a specific character so they mention the locations is Northwest and then you can find it on the map.

Completed WILD ARMS 3. It's a really good up up to about chapter 3. You can tell it was made in the era of strategies guides because there's a lot of B.S.
I mentioned the annoying NPC flags. There was a cloaked flying fortress you have to find once. You have to look through a telescope in one town to spot the general area. The game tells you it's above the ruins of the last dungeon. But actually every time you go to the world map it moves to a new location. I think I just got lucky when I found it.
Oh yeah, there was basically a mandatory side-quest to get these 4 idol statues. But you pick the items up nonchalantly. It doesn't confirm "this is what you're looking for" or even what you're suppose to do with them after.
There's a couple places where you have to examine an item in your inventory to trigger an event to progress. But the game doesn't tell you to do that. Some times you have to press Triangle to read the item's description for important information like map coordinators.
And then there's the adventure game mechanics. Pretty fun and simple, but in the later game there are newer uses for Tools that the game doesn't tell you. Like, there's a platform where you get your jumping boots out and stomp down. But there's nothing suggesting the platform can move, and there's like 1 other place where you use that tool to do that. There's another room where I thought it was a time-trial, you have to race to spot before the puzzle resets; but you're not suppose to run, you're suppose to freeze a thing in-place so it can't move. Also Ice apparently cleans windows and "muddy inscriptions". Logic.

The story is good for the first part of the game. Some cutscenes have automatic text progression, you can't pause, and you have to read fast. Memories & History are a big story theme. Because you're trying to learn from the past to save the planet or whatever. IMO the story should have ended after chapter 3 when everything comes together. The chapters feel like a TV arcs. Chapter 3 was a pretty satisfying conclusion. Ch4 reveals the secret mastermind that was barely alluded to earlier in the story. Ch4 feels like a TV show that got an unexpected new season but was canceled halfway through and end up being the worst.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.