Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

The Screenshot Thread 2

@strawberry
as well as adding a border to the face, you should also consider something like a gradient for the background instead of just plain white.
otherwise though, looking very good.

when did this thread go and fucking explode?

i'll just leave this here, contains some nice frame-by-frame animation
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFyzmdkHYX4

hIW7T1a.png

So much work needs to be done in figuring out this UI. There's just no comparison out there unfortunately because this is so different to traditional games and apps.

It would be very easy to just shove in a menu with Shop, Friends, etc - but I don't want to do that because...Uh...Actually I might just do that! Seems to be the right answer now that I think more and more about this.

corleonis":3jnq1fm0 said:
O_O love the soundtrack... was that you?
Sadly, that's a placeholder track, it's heir of grief.
https://homestuck.bandcamp.com/track/heir-of-grief

If you meant the songs I embedded, wasn't me, it was composed by my good friend Jake "Moneymenace" Gamelin, who has been the CCC's lead composer since mid 2014.
Speaking of him, he did do a REALLY good track recently.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTkmM6dqF1U
Here's the OST for Intel so far.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWoiv2z ... bVH2V49_Vz
StrawberrySmiles":3jnq1fm0 said:
BizarreMonkey":3jnq1fm0 said:
when did this thread go and fucking explode?
It's all me. :P I'm that awesome.
I actually have no trouble believing that.

Despite being released, I'm still making warranted changes and additions to I314... coming in the complete GOTY edition will be some new optional bosses, the ending I linked a portion of some pages ago, the finished OST (still being worked on), the updated battle sprites (which you can see in the video following) and some map revamps.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SL0EVwciQ_k
Updated properly after 5 years.

Just finished making adjustments on my menu for Odyssey, I'm satisfied with how it turned out. The middle window makes the players equipment readily available, so the player can switch items with ease. Highlight the selected weapon, and press the desired weapon button to equip it. The player graphic in the menu will change to reflect the currently equipped items. Any feedback is welcome!
JlJS0VV.png

It's too homogeneous. There's no hierarchy of information. Everything has an icon, and everything is the same type.
You can't tell the Menu options apart from the Item list, the Equipment Slots, or the Game Stats.

I mean, they're separated by windows. And We know, from experience, how to make heads-or-tails of it. But visually there needs to be a greater degree of separation. You can change size and color for some things, lose the icon for others. Use a different typeface for Item Names, Descriptions, or OPTIONS.(all caps is style choice too)

That is always bugged me when I noticed Japanese games had made use of Kanji, katakana, hiragana, and English characters. But the localisation sets everything to English and they don't do much with the code , so we get this flat sameness.

I feel like it needs some depth. Also dont be afraid to use different font sizes + bolding & italics to help things flow
8469c3941e.jpg

oop went overkill with the dimming but you get the rough idea

Thank you for the solid suggestions guys! I like the idea of adding headers and trying different fonts for the menu options and game stats. I also like the dimmed window example you showed Zen, I might try something similar. Juan, I wish I had more to show off at this point, but I'll be preparing a new thread when the time comes.

Heres two Animated Gifs for a Script that Im working on...

SpotLight.gif

LightInside.gif

The maps are pretty basic. Im focused on the quality of the Lighting Effects in both images.

Sadly, the script is not stable enough for release. If anyone is familiar enough with C++ to help out, please let me know on this thread. I dont want to derail this thread, although feedback on the Light Effects is more than welcome!

Heretic86":2e91ja55 said:
Sadly, the script is not stable enough for release. If anyone is familiar enough with C++ to help out, please let me know on this thread. I dont want to derail this thread, although feedback on the Light Effects is more than welcome!
That forum is pretty hard to read. What exactly is the problem you're having?

Unfortunately, this board doesn't have a section that matches RGSS DLL programming support. There's the extending RPG Making forum, for projects in this category that aren't seeking support, there's programming board for general programming issues and RGSS support for script support.

Extending RPG Maker
RGSS Script Support
Programming & Web

Either make a thread about your script/lighting engine in Extending RPG Maker, requesting support at the end of it, or post the problem in the Programming & Web board. RGSS Support may be half-way the right place to go, but the problem itself likely has nothing to do with RGSS (but there is a chance).

I've done a lot of stuff with RM Bitmaps, specifically this project which adds OpenGL 3D Rendering into RPG Maker VX Ace. I can probably help you.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.