Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.
The Blacksmith's Apprentice

The Blacksmith's Apprentice - Version 1.5 released

King Red Of Pancakes":250gsq7p said:
Minor Bug: There appears to be a cave entrance in Ever's Pass past the harpies that doesn't lead anywhere.
  -KRoP
Wow, I'm surprised someone found that.  I haven't created those caves yet.  Bugs aside, what'd you think of the game?

irekismaren@juno.com":2ywbkjwu said:
King Red Of Pancakes":2ywbkjwu said:
Minor Bug: There appears to be a cave entrance in Ever's Pass past the harpies that doesn't lead anywhere.
  -KRoP
Wow, I'm surprised someone found that.  I haven't created those caves yet.  Bugs aside, what'd you think of the game?
  I'm too lazy to write the review this awesome game deserves. In my opinion it's much better than MotW, considering that the story in this game takes off at the end of the demo. I could not even begin to imagine how much work got put inot this... it's just... wow. There were certainly quite a few bugs here and there (and the Quest Log didn't get updated as much as it probably should have been) but the bad stuff is only like 2% of this proffesional project, which I'm just pointing out. Here are some of my ideas on minor things to improve this, but really they're only addons, you don't have to add because it's already so well done:

-Cogwheel Slanted Bars: It was annoying to remember how much the maximum was for William's and Arthur's HP and MP, so this script could give a better idea of what shape they were in. Search the script board of this site, or ask around, you should be able to find it.

-Ccoa's Custom Weather: This would definately add more of an atmosphere to the game, if used correctly. Falling leaves in forest, hail or icy winds in the winter, (near the end of the demo) stuff like that would just add more... "oomph" to it. Ccoa took all her scripts off this site, but she still goes to several RPG Maker forums. Look around for a while and you should find it, or if you can't, I have a copy I could show you to.

-Enemy Descriptions: Since you have expanded the tab on the top, you could use the space to give a short description of the enemy. Not neccesarily help in battle information, but the kind of graphical description that you just can't get out of RTP battlers. If you make this, it could certainly make the game more interesting.

-A tip about the Salesaren (a.k.a. Snake Thingy): It seems pretty obvious you aren't meant to grind in order to beat her and that some kind of event is supposed to happen before then, yet people are still capable of beating her. To give a more definitive idea that you can't beat her yet, and to make it look cooler than big numbers scrolling across the screen as she owns you, you could make a short cutscene on map with the player and the Salesaran jumping around with animations and such, until the Salesaran kills you, unless X switch is on. (Meaning that the event before the battle has happened and now you are supposed to fight her and win.) Just an idea.

Again, these are just suggestions on how this could improve. I'm starting to ramble now, aren't I? Well, good luck then, I'm anxiously anticipating the next release!  :wink:
  -KRoP

Wow... thanks for the compliments...  I'm quite flattered that you liked the game so much!  I've seen you making the rounds on these forums, so I know you've played a lot of the games.  And to be compared to MotW, that game is practically canonized around here!  I'll definitely take your suggestions into consideration, you gave me some good ideas to work with.

Aeros

Hey, I finally finished the demo (had to start over). Absolutely terrific game.

-I love how each area is made up of very few, extremely well detailed, maps. It gives the environment a very real feeling. It's very easy to get in to the world that you've constructed.

-Everything is balanced in such a realistic manner. The enemies are as difficult as one might realistically expect and I actually like how there's almost no boss battles. Again, very realistic. You could play the whole demo out as a coward (almost) by just avoiding enemies and you'd just about be able to beat it.

-The NPC's all have something interesting to say (except the soldiers, but that's to be expected). I can't tell necessarily by the demo, but it seems that there's a wealth of information that the player can choose to engage with or simply overlook.

All in all, the main point I'm trying to get across is that you've created a real and engrossing world. Hurry up and give us more.

Edit: And this game is certainly better than Master of the Wind.

Found another bug (or rather found a bug before but forgot about it :P): When you ask to go to the town east of Lief's Haven to the caravan dude, he says the town hasn't been created yet, however when I used the scarf to get there, it looked perfectly complete to me. Also, I wish I could have gotten a tutorial on fishing; when I didn't have a fishing rod, William said I would need one, and when I got one, nothing happened when I interacted with the fishing lake.

Aeros

Umm...I never got a scarf. I know that a scarf exists and such and such, but I never got it. I'm bad about this aren't I?

Edit: I also found a bug. In the last part in Willow Glen, when you're supposed to go look for Skylark, there is a point when Grant is in both his house and the blacksmith's shop.

Your not bad. It was tricky for me too. If you want, I'll walk you through it (but I'm putting it in a spoiler so others can figure it out on there own).
First, complete the old lady's sidequest at Lief's Haven. Talk to her, then after the scene with the rogues at Lief's Haven returning from the coal mines, take the caravan back to the Garrison, go to the item shop and ask for a bolt of silk, then return to Lief's Haven and talk to the old lady. Done. :)

Alright, I'm stuck. I thin because of a glitch? I'm not sure. i'm in the town that is full of theives, I can't remember what it's called, and there's an explimation point in the bushes. I want to go to another town, but when i talk to the guy to leave, My friend tells me "Theres a guy in the bushes, we should talk with him before we leave" or something like that, yet theres nobody there to talk to. So I cant go until I talk with someone, but theres no one to talk with! Help =O

Speedpaws":mjj8ibqu said:
Alright, I'm stuck. I thin because of a glitch? I'm not sure. i'm in the town that is full of theives, I can't remember what it's called, and there's an explimation point in the bushes. I want to go to another town, but when i talk to the guy to leave, My friend tells me "Theres a guy in the bushes, we should talk with him before we leave" or something like that, yet theres nobody there to talk to. So I cant go until I talk with someone, but theres no one to talk with! Help =O
The exclamation point is one of Jaena's thieves behind the caravan. You completed Jana's (can't remember how it's spelled T_T) sidequest, right?

Aeros

King Red Of Pancakes":102x8h1f said:
The exclamation point is one of Jaena's thieves behind the caravan. You completed Jana's (can't remember how it's spelled T_T) sidequest, right?

Wouldn't matter. I skipped it and it still worked for me. I think its a joke post.

And you were right on the spelling the first time.

Awesome game.

You did a great job at making the task of fetching coal seem like something important and worthwhile to do. I also liked how the game kept hinting at something much more important going on. Whatever was going on for the moment was fun and interesting and it always seemed as the future would hold even more interesting things. The characterization is also great. All important characters added something worthwhile and I never felt that a character was boring me.

The battles aren't so good however. Kill 30+ of the same enemy? I have yet to see any encounter that is fun ten times, much less thirty times. Even ignoring the Krakens, there seem to be way to little variety between the enemies. Also...
the boss in the ghost ruins have way to much HP. I think I needed more than 40 turns to defeat it with William almost every turn using his strongest attack while Arthur used his strongest attack about half the turns (I used him to heal and restore SP). There is no need to make the boss that durable, if you want it challenging then give it stronger attacks. The high durability only tests if the player has enough restorative items.

Aeros

Crystalgate":uxh3zczu said:
Awesome game.

You did a great job at making the task of fetching coal seem like something important and worthwhile to do. I also liked how the game kept hinting at something much more important going on. Whatever was going on for the moment was fun and interesting and it always seemed as the future would hold even more interesting things. The characterization is also great. All important characters added something worthwhile and I never felt that a character was boring me.

The battles aren't so good however. Kill 30+ of the same enemy? I have yet to see any encounter that is fun ten times, much less thirty times. Even ignoring the Krakens, there seem to be way to little variety between the enemies.

I'll agree with this. The battles are a bit monotonous.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.