Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.
The Blacksmith's Apprentice

The Blacksmith's Apprentice - Version 1.5 released

@Aeros: I sent the file back to you.  I'm still not sure how in the world that happened, even after looking at your saved game.  I'll have to keep digging.  Thanks!

Finally got around to re-downloading. :dead:
A few bugs:
-When the boy from the haunted castle comes back to the Garrison, it says he runs off to hug his mother. But if you walk on that tile a second time, the text will repeat (but the actual cutscene won't).
-Even after William becomes a Fighter, he can't equip the chain armor from Garrison's blacksmith (or whatever that armor was called).
-I bought the boat before I got the Writ to get it freely. ;_;
-Even after you talk to the thief behind the caravan in Lief's Haven, Jaena will say she has no job for you at the moment.
I don't want to continue without completing Jaena's sidequest... Help?
  -KRoP

Aeros

Found a bug. When you're chasing the guy with the key up the mountain, you can walk on the panorama if you step off the bridges (so it's like you're walking on air). You just need to make the bridges unpassable from the up and down sides, I can see that you need the panorama to be passable for the falcons.

Aeros

I also think I figured out what happened with the last bug (where I got trapped in the garrison). I completely skipped the quest from Jaena. I've got the coal and am on my way back through Thief's Haven and I'm just hearing about Jaena for the first time. I have no idea who Carrock is and I never stole his gold, but apparently I was supposed to. I just walked right out of Thief's Haven and straight to the garrison the first time through so maybe that did it.

Sorry about the bugs, everyone.  I'm not sure how older versions of the game didn't have these bugs, considering I haven't changed those sections.  Oh well, I'll see what's going on and post an updated version, as soon as my real life lets me have the time to do so.  Thanks to all for not giving up!

EDIT:  @Aeros: I finally figured it out, mostly due to what you said in your last post.  You weren't supposed to be able to walk from Lief's Haven to the Garrison without being attacked by Bandits.  It's a minimum 22-step walk between those two areas, and I set the random encounter average to 13 steps.  You must have gotten INCREDIBLY lucky to have made it all that way.  The idea was to prevent players from free travel, so you had to complete the story in Lief's Haven to get a Token and continue forward.  And since a lot of the variables are based on the assumption that it would be impossible for a player to skip all of Lief's Haven, it's gotten your game quite confused.  I'll try to fix your save file (which I already have), if I can.

@KRoP:  I'm fixing the bridge passability bug, as well as the one with the rescued boy and Jaena's quest.  I'm curious, do you have the coal at this point?  I've also added some scripting to include the rank required for weapons and armor.  I'll post it up as soon as I can.

Aeros

I ran into bandits several times. I just ran away. I noticed that you disabled escaping for every encounter except the bandits. I assume this is a bug and if you just made it to where you can't run then your plan will work fine.

Yes, I have the coal. I'm also wondering why I can't BUY a bolt of silk at the Garrison, due to the fact that "William can't decide which color," and I need to do Jaena's sidequest instead, which apparentely does not exist. O_o (So... confusing...)
Aeros":2sw9j9at said:
I ran into bandits several times. I just ran away. I noticed that you disabled escaping for every encounter except the bandits. I assume this is a bug and if you just made it to where you can't run then your plan will work fine.
That's because he used random encounters on the world map. You use RMXP, right? If you did, you'd understand. To "fix" that would require scripting.
Say, what script did ya use, juno? (to show required rank) The one I suggested, or a different one you found. Or did you script it yourself? Or am I misunderstanding entirely?
  -KRoP
Edit: And Aeroes, please don't double post. :neutral:

Aeros

Ah right. I forgot about that. Well then juno, i suggest you figure a better way to keep people where you need them.

My bad about the double post.

I haven't had internet all weekend, so I couldn't upload the new version. It's coming soon.

EDIT #1: The fixed version is up, in the main post.

EDIT #2: @Aeros: I didn't think it was possible to survive a Bandits' attack by escaping.  In playtesting, I've always died when escaping.  I finally figured out how to disable the escape option for random encounters, and the new version is posted above and in the main post.

@KRoP: The bug with Jaena's quest is fixed now.  As for the database, I modified the scripts myself.

irekismaren@juno.com":15b04g9i said:
@Aeros: The reason I didn't disable the escape option for the Bandits is because I CAN'T. 
  Actually, I thought of a way around it. Have a player touch event on the world map, with no graphic, that will cause a battle processing with bandits. Then, create a new event page, say "Caravan" switch is on (or whatever you want to call it) with nothing on that page. Then copy and paste it into a row along the world map so the player would have to encounter it if he was not in a caravan.
  Anyway, I'll keep you updated on any bugs I find. Don't forget to update the main post with the fixed version. :)
  -KRoP

I found a way to disable the escape option from random encounters, and the new version has been posted.  Thanks to all for finding these bugs!

King Red Of Pancakes":u9v1rd30 said:
Your welcome. :D
  -KRoP
EDIT: The download isn't working. :sad: Maybe you should try something other than Mediafire?

It's working fine for me...  Maybe the site was down temporarily?

Oh, nvm, it's workin' now. I wish there were quicker ways to play fixed versions than having to redownload every time there's an update. But, meh. I'll take a look.
Oh, by the way, it's a 10+ hour demo that's only 30% of the finished game? Holy crap! That's pretty ambitious! ...Geez. :O
  -KRoP
EDIT: I can't seem to cure Mute status. I tried:
  • resting
  • looking for curative items
  • seeing clerics
WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO?!:mad:LJ#:mad:JOEIJ:OJDFO
Seriously though, I don't like the idea of dying and being revived just to cure a status ailment (unless that doesn't work either  :psy: ). Help?

About being Muted:  It's supposed to happen (during the demo) ONLY at certain plot points, and one of those is when you enter the Garrison (going through the Halberd-wielding guards).  If you're in the Garrison, you can walk to the tile just in front of those guards (outside the Garrison walls) and that should clear it.  (I set it to "Player Touch" which doesn't work if the player is forcefully placed on it.  Oops.  :down:)

I haven't posted the fix yet (slow connection at home), but I will tomorrow.  In the meantime, I'll PM you with a hidden revive code that will remove the state.

I found quite a few bugs after returning to Willow Glen.
-I went to the house and I said that I had talked to my father, which I had not.
-I went to the blacksmith's shop and I was told to see my mother, which I had already done.
-After leaving the blacksimth's shop, Skylark came to me, but had no character graphic.
-The mute status was not caused by the Garrison, but by ghosts in Thief's Woods.
-When I went into Arthur's house a second time, I lost my actor graphic.
I stopped there because it was frustrating to move around when I couldn't see myself. :tongue:
  -KRoP

@KRoP: Can you email me your saved game file?  I need to check the variables.  I still don't know why Jaena's quest wasn't available a couple posts back, and the rest of your problems might be related to that.

As for the ghosts applying the mute status, they can only apply the "Silence" status, which has the same effect as mute, but it's released after battle.

EDIT:  I've just uploaded a newer version which will fix a few of the bugs above.  Some, however, are related to KRoP's game, so I still need to get that saved game file to address those.

In the new version, I've also removed the "Escape" option from all Battle Processing, since it's never enabled anyway.

Thanks KRoP.  I checked your saved game file, and it looks like you never actually picked up the coal from the mine foreman.  You have an empty wagon in your inventory, which is what gave it away.  I've since made it impossible to leave the Dwarven Mines without first picking up the coal, because of the havok it caused with the variables.

At this point in your saved game, I noticed that the variables equal what they need to, so you should be able to proceed just fine without any adjustment...

I'm glad you found that bug, I don't think I ever would have!

"-When I went into Arthur's house a second time, I lost my actor graphic."
Do fix this, it was QUITE frustrating to move without my graphic. :P
So you're saying you don't need to edit my save file? Alright then. :) I'll keep playing and see if I spot any other bugs.
  -KRoP

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.