Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.
The Blacksmith's Apprentice

The Blacksmith's Apprentice - Version 1.5 released

Xaixis":38bf1f1b said:
Is there a way to recover a fallen mate? B/c now that I lost author in a fight Im like screwed b/c I cant take anything and I dont know how to "rez" him

You can go to any Cleric (depending on where you are) or you can give Arthur a Candleberry Salve.  I'm still working on the play balance, so if you're hopelessly stuck somewhere, just PM me and I'll help you out.

I'm also working on fixing a minor bug mentioned earlier, hopefully I'll be able to post an updated version soon.

nick5674398":viocgn1v said:
Man! I just finished the demo. It was awsoem, this game could compete with MOTW, The story and characters are great, the romance between Charis and Will was tied into the story very well, I thought it built upon the story greatly. There weren't any major bugs other than the one I already told you. I want mooore! Can't wait till the next demo

Wow, thanks for the feedback!  I'm glad you liked the game so much.  I haven't played MOTW yet, but people around here seem to like it, so that's quite a compliment.  I don't know when the next big demo will be, but I have updated the main download to include some more of the storyline (and some minor bug fixes mentioned above).  There's about 15-20 minutes of additional content available, so if you've already played through the game, the new version should work with your old saved game, and it will pick up where you left off.  It's a minor update, but it reveals a major part of the plot.

I hope you all enjoy.  :smile:

Well, I thought this glitch in the Thieves' place was hilarious.

I don't know why, but it was only funny the first time it played that scene!
I walked through the water trap, stumbled through the caves, and I saw a clip that had already played earlier.

EDIT: I thought I would also mention that I had to level 10 times to safely battle the gigantic flies in Thornbury woods (or whatever those woods are called) and that in Thieve's Woods all the enemies would die in just one or two hits, which was sort of... unbalanced, you might say.. Also, that snake thing was way overpowered.

EDIT 2:
While searching for the password, I discovered:

Trees don't look like that.

Fixed the bugs mentioned above, and made some balance adjustments with the enemies.  Nice catch on the tree mapping error!

EDIT:  By the way, the Salaseren ("snake thing") is supposed to be too hard, because you aren't supposed to be able to defeat it up to this point in the game.

Ok, weird.  I downloaded the file, but I can't open it because it downloaded in EFW format, whatever that is....  Any idea how to fix this?

devonm0":9x4v6gsq said:
Ok, weird.  I downloaded the file, but I can't open it because it downloaded in EFW format, whatever that is....  Any idea how to fix this?

You can try changing the file extension to .exe... I'm not sure what's going on, because I'm uploading the file just fine, and it downloads just fine (for most people anyway, from what I can tell), but at least one other person has had trouble.  Any ideas out there?

Ya all you do is upload the game and put it on your desktop (or wherever) and then rename the file with a .exe ending.

Quite simple really!

Sure, if you don't want to have people beat Snake Thingy, but dying after not saving your game recently can be quite frustrating. Hopefully, there could be a better way to pull that off.
Also, I cannot seem to find the password. I talked to the thief who wrote down the password on pieces of paper, but it doesn't appear to be anywhere in the forest or the caves. Help?

King Red Of Pancake Town":13jta7gg said:
Sure, if you don't want to have people beat Snake Thingy, but dying after not saving your game recently can be quite frustrating. Hopefully, there could be a better way to pull that off.
Also, I cannot seem to find the password. I talked to the thief who wrote down the password on pieces of paper, but it doesn't appear to be anywhere in the forest or the caves. Help?

The warning sign outside Fools' Cave is meant to encourage people to save or turn around before fighting the Salaseren... as far as the Thieves' password, it's on a piece of paper in the Thieves' Caves, next to one of the beds with all the chests.  (It's not in the chests, though.)

I thought that password was somewhere. I should have checked the place more thoroughly.
Thanks!

Edit: After stalling Sir Carrock, I took the path south and ended up here:

I'm incapable of movement and just stand in the mountains. You might want to fix this. :)

Ouch, sorry about that.  I'll upload a fixed version.

EDIT:  I've uploaded the fixed version.  In case you're still stuck after re-downloading, just email me your save game file and I'll get you back where you belong.

Oh, but the bug report's just begun:
  • Arthur cannot equip Fitted Bow
  • The Armory Guard still comes back even when it says the guards vanish from the light
  • When you light a torch after guards disapear, it will say it has no effect on the (no longer existent) darkness around you
I'll post any others I find after going through the Dwarven Mountains. :smile:
  -KRoP

Thanks KRoP, for finding those bugs.  The reason Arthur cannot equip the Fitted Bow is not a bug, however... he needs to advance to the rank of Scout before he can use that.  (I'm considering adding the necessary rank in the equipment description, but I haven't yet because of limited space; I like each item having a unique description that tells something about it, rather than just a bunch of numbers and rank codes.  I'm trying to come up with a compromise).

Maybe Arthur should say he doesn't know how to use it or something like that after you get the weapon, or you could use Modern Algebra's Script that gives you plenty of space for descriptions. Also, another glitch:
When you enter one of the caves in the Dwarven Mountains, a cutscene is played where the Purple Hair Dude (names escape me) summons, conjures, whatever you'd like to call it, the "final beacon." However, exiting and re-entering the cave that triggered this scene will cause the cutscene to replay, but the second time it does not take you back to the caves but leaves you there at the end of the cutscene with no actor graphic or way to get out.

Also, I'm not sure if this is a glitch, but I've killed every Kraken on the first and second floors (unless there are secret passages or something, I've looked through every set of rails the mine cart can go through and every side alcove of the mines to look for them Krakens) but William is still saying he hasn't killed all the krakens on the first and second floor when I talk to the mine director. I'm not sure what to do... Help?
  -KRoP

Thanks KRoP for the information.  I checked the game and there was definitely a problem with the Kraken quest.  You needed to kill 33 Kraken, but there were only 31 to kill.  I've changed the requirement to 31, so as soon as you go down into the mines, one of the party should make a comment about being finished, and you can go talk to the foreman.  The weird thing is, other people have finished the quest with that bug in place.  Now I'm not sure how.  Anyway, I've uploaded a new version with the majority of the bugs fixed.  And thanks for the script idea, I'll have to check out Modern Algebra's script.

EDIT:  I assume you're talking about Modern Algebra's catalogue script?  The only one I could find looks like it is for RMVX, and the download wasn't available anyway.

Thanks for uploading a fixed version. Give me a while to re-download and I'll see if I can spot out any other manure in the field of roses. (lol)
As for the script, I don't really know where you can find it... I think it was called the paragraph script or something like that. Anyway, I suppose you could just go with the Arthur explanation version or whatnot.
  -KRoP

I downloadded the new text so i can see the dialogue. But i dont know how to make it work..

HELP?

nvm, i got it

Dude, this game is good. I played liek 10 minutes and im feeling emotions...

I feel sad that im leaving that girl and how i always do those thigns for her...

REALLY COOL AND VERY TOUCHING!

OMG its so good. I hope charis' father doesnt die... Id feel really bad

Quadruple post!!!  Do not double post use the modify button. ~The Great Terror

i died.. didnt save... need to totally restart..

ANd don't... QUINTUPLE POST?! Holy shit, man.
Luminier

Aeros

I may just be a dunce, but I think I found a problem. I went to talk to the elf guy in the garrison and after he gave me the ring i can't get out. The guards keep saying that it's closed till morning. Is this a glitch or am I missing something?

Aeros":3t6owj0z said:
I may just be a dunce, but I think I found a problem. I went to talk to the elf guy in the garrison and after he gave me the ring i can't get out. The guards keep saying that it's closed till morning. Is this a glitch or am I missing something?

Hmmm... I couldn't find a "glitch" at all, I'm not sure how that happened.  If you email me your saved game file I can warp you out of there, and possibly figure out how it happened in the first place.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.