Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Mr.Mo's Squad Based ABS (SBABS)

Here I am with another error.

Sometimes in battle, when I check my Skills or Stats and such, I get this error:

"Script 'Input(Need for ABS)' line 808: TypeError occurred.

no implicit conversion from nil to integer"

Code:
      return @trigger[num]

If I am correct, this means that a variable is set to nil when it's supposed to be set to an integer.

Hey, amazing script.
2 Questions though, a rather simple one. And a more complex one.

1. How do I lower the range of Melee skills?
For example, I made a skill thats purpose is to attack fast
(SKILL_CUSTOM[90] = [0, 0]) but is meant todo a very meager amount of damage. Basically to allow for quicker attacks at normal Attack range. (Face to face, or at least a tile or 2 away.)
However...I can cast the skill from 10 tiles away and instantly hit the enemy.
Which renders my skill, well, incredibly overpowered.
Is there a way I can modify the range of Melee skills?
I'd like some to be at varied distances.
Like a Spear attack from 3-4 tiles away, with a chance of status effects.

2. Of course, I intend to have 'boss' battles, or other stronger encounters.
But just powering up an enemy and giving it some strong skills and letting them do whatever they please is a little boring.
is there a way to randomly activate an event or scripts?
Like after a brief time, random intervals, or if it's HP reaches a certain percent. He'll carry about a specified event, then return to normally attacking like he was previously doing.

I've been trying to figure out if there is a way to switch around the controls of the attack, defend, dash and sneak keys from an in-game event.

For example, I'm trying to see how I can change ATTACK_KEY Input::Letters["C"] to ATTACK_KEY Input::Letters["E"] from Call Script.

Hey, i've been using this script in my latest project for a few days now.
I love the way it's made. I posted some questions earlier, which i'm still hoping to recieve an answer on.
I've managed to make a few work-arounds for those problems...but they don't work so well. Mainly using timed-events. Causes quite a few bugs though.

But the latest problem i'm having is with Explosive Skills.
I'm having the same problem on the demo provided with the script.

Basically, when I cast an explosive skill.
For example, the default one on the demo.

# RANGE_EXPLODE[Skill_ID] = [Range, Move Speed, Character Set Name, Explosive Range, Mash Time(in seconds), Kick Back(in tiles)]
RANGE_EXPLODE[8] = [10, 6, "183-Rock02", 5, 3, 2]

The spell will cast and shoot forward, but before it even hits anything.
The game crashes with this error:

Script 'Mr.Mo's SBABS Lite 1.0' line 2548: NoMethodError occurred.
undefined method `values' for #<Array:0x3da8dba>

I'm not good with scripts. So I have NO idea what that means, or any possible way to fix it.
It happens in this section of the code:

#--------------------------------------------------------------------------
# * Blow
#--------------------------------------------------------------------------
def blow
#Stop
@stop = true
#Show animation on event
self.animation_id = @skill.animation2_id
@showing_ani = true
#Get Everyone in Range of the Explosive Skill
objects = get_all_range(self, @range_skill[3])
#Hit Everyone
hit_player if objects.include?($game_player)
# Hit ally
for ally in $game_allies
next if ally == nil
hit_ally(ally) if objects.include?(ally)
end
#Hit Enemies
for e in objects.values
next if e == nil
next if e == $game_player or e.is_a?(Game_Ally)
#Hit
hit_event(e.event_id)
end
end

"for e in objects.values"
is the line in question, for apparently causing said crash.

It'd be greatly appreciated if anyone can help me with this problem.

Ok guys, since school is over and I'm starting to re-schedule my life, I will fix all errors tomorrow and try to release then.

Mo, I love you.
I really do.

If you don't mind, i'll be happy to toss a few minor suggestions your way and report any other problems I come across.
I plan to refine and tweak my gameplay alot tonight, since my game is based mainly around this script.
Thanks man, this is the greatest script i've ever seen for any RPGMaker version.

Anyways, a few suggestions i've thought of, and have been actively trying to create workarounds over the last 2 days without success.
I'm in no way asking that you code entirely new parts to incorporate these, i'm sure you have alot more work you would rather do. I'm asking if such things are already possible, or can very easily be added.

Explosive_Skill - Please fix it...This was one of the things that made this script seem so much cooler.

Custom HP - So...I was curious to see how much damage I could do. So I made myself level 99. Gave myself an insanely overpowered weapon and skill to match.
Walked to the nearest enemy, and attacked.
3,500,000 damage. Wow...Just...wow.
My hope for my game is to, near the end, have LARGE amounts of damage. Nowhere near what is possible. But quite a bit.
However...enemy HP max is 99,999?
That's a bit low for what I have in mind...
Would it be possible to have a 'Comment: HP #" flag implemented?

Multiple Item drops - Rather self explanatory.
Some monsters I wanted to have the ability to drop rare items, alongside common items.
Any way to add another comment to add extra drops?

Item Display use Icons - I have alot of icons. But not many character sets of items.
This request is a simple one. Allow icon graphics to replace the item_display.

Compatible with Bestiary - Probably not possible, since the default battle scene is never loaded. and most Bestiarys work from that. Any compatible bestiarys with your battle system?

Pick up item on touch, not action - Simple request. When you touch an item/gold, it automatically picks it up.

Display HP/MP Number - A way to display current HP/MP inside, under, or next to the HP/MP gradients?

Display Squad Member's HP - Easy way to tell just how badly damaged your party is, without having to shift leaders.

Sound on being heared/sighted - When you come within hearing/sight of an enemy, it plays a sound effect. (Zombie sees you, he growls while coming after you.)

Disable the squad member '_dead' animation - When my lancer dies, the game crashes because I don't have his _dead character set. An easy work around is to make a blank character set for it.

"'Mr.Mo's HUD' : LOW_HP = 150 # What HP should the low HP icon be shown?"
Possible to change this to a percentage?

Ranged_Weapon range broken? - This is a pretty bad problem. The range on ranged weapons doesn't seem to stop after its gone past its set range.
I figured this out when I tried to make a Spear type weapon, to shoot a spearhead only 2 tiles to simulate a melee weapon with range.
But it doesn't work, doesn't matter what I set to range in the script to, it still goes as far as possible.

Alarm, we've spotted the enemy! - Would it be possible to have an enemy activate another enemy? Something like being able to set up a 'group' of enemies, so that if one of them see you, it alerts the rest of the enemies in said 'group' to become hostile and come after you?

Touching the enemy. 2 problems - I wanted to set up a kind of maze, which of course would require the use of both Sneak and Dash. I decided to test out my idea in my testing level.
I made an 'enemy', gave him the usual attack script. Then set him to Event Touch and gave him a few commands. This is where Problem #1 comes in. (I'm also certain this is a flaw in RMXP itself, not your script.)
With both player touch, and event touch settings. You have to walk into the enemy to activate the script. If you stood still and let the enemy walk to you, the script won't activate.
Screws up my generic idea of being caught by a guard and sent back to a certain spot.
That however, brings up the problem with your script.
When teleported while an enemy is after you, this error occurs:

Script 'Mr.Mo's Enemy HP Bars' line 41:RGSS Error occured
disposed sprite

and then of course...the game abruptly crashes.

Good suggestions!

I have a small suggestion (one that may lag out the game.), could you create a comment tag like: Comment: Death Animation 012
So when the thing dies it plays an animation over its body, that would allow for exploding bodyparts and blood and stuff.

Yours, Sam

PS.
Mr.Mo: Ok guys, since school is over and I'm starting to re-schedule my life, I will fix all errors tomorrow and try to release then.

SCORE!

Itachi

yay, mr.mo is back. one question:

is it posible that the plyer can heal the teamates in a battle, when you are not in the menu. the same goes for raise.

Darkus;214611 said:
Custom HP - So...I was curious to see how much damage I could do. So I made myself level 99. Gave myself an insanely overpowered weapon and skill to match.
My hope for my game is to, near the end, have LARGE amounts of damage. Nowhere near what is possible. But quite a bit.
Just don't overpower your weapons and skills.

Some monsters I wanted to have the ability to drop rare items, alongside common items.
Add some self switches to these monsters and you have it.

Compatible with Bestiary - Probably not possible, since the default battle scene is never loaded. and most Bestiarys work from that. Any compatible bestiarys with your battle system?
I've scripted a compatibility patch to Trickster beastiary to event encounter. It would not to be hard to do it with this ABS.

Display Squad Member's HP - Easy way to tell just how badly damaged your party is, without having to shift leaders.
I had writed a lite HUD but never released it, and it showed all the party members hp, sp and states. But I don't know if I still have the code, I have to do some searches in my pc.

Darkus;214611 said:

No, I don't like games with too much HP damage anyways.

I was thinking about this, but it will add to the lag, can't over do it with the SBABS, its complicated enough.

Item Display use Icons - I have alot of icons. But not many character sets of items.
This request is a simple one. Allow icon graphics to replace the item_display.

No. You can custom do it yourself by copying and pasting icons on character sets.

I don't know what that means ;)

Pick up item on touch, not action - Simple request. When you touch an item/gold, it automatically picks it up.
I don't plan adding on anything else to the SBABS.

Display HP/MP Number - A way to display current HP/MP inside, under, or next to the HP/MP gradients?

I don't plan on making a HUD.

Sound on being heared/sighted - When you come within hearing/sight of an enemy, it plays a sound effect. (Zombie sees you, he growls while coming after you.)

I'll see if I want to do it.

Disable the squad member '_dead' animation - When my lancer dies, the game crashes because I don't have his _dead character set. An easy work around is to make a blank character set for it.

You should have a dead animation for you characters, the game would look better. I don't plan on changing it, you can use blanks if you want.

"'Mr.Mo's HUD' : LOW_HP = 150 # What HP should the low HP icon be shown?"
Possible to change this to a percentage?
yeah its possible, you should just request a new HUD, they aren't hard to make. Maybe a scripter who likes this script can make a HUD for it, I'm still busy even though the school is over, I can't support so many scripts.

Ranged_Weapon range broken? - This is a pretty bad problem. The range on ranged weapons doesn't seem to stop after its gone past its set range.
Yeah, fixing that.

Alarm, we've spotted the enemy! - Would it be possible to have an enemy activate another enemy? Something like being able to set up a 'group' of enemies, so that if one of them see you, it alerts the rest of the enemies in said 'group' to become hostile and come after you?

I think this is already in the script. Behavior 5

Touching the enemy. 2 problems - I wanted to set up a kind of maze, which of course would require the use of both Sneak and Dash. I decided to test out my idea in my testing level.
I made an 'enemy', gave him the usual attack script. Then set him to Event Touch and gave him a few commands. This is where Problem #1 comes in. (I'm also certain this is a flaw in RMXP itself, not your script.)
With both player touch, and event touch settings. You have to walk into the enemy to activate the script. If you stood still and let the enemy walk to you, the script won't activate.
Screws up my generic idea of being caught by a guard and sent back to a certain spot.

It should, I tested just now. Event Touch works.

That however, brings up the problem with your script.
When teleported while an enemy is after you, this error occurs:

Script 'Mr.Mo's Enemy HP Bars' line 41:RGSS Error occured
disposed sprite

and then of course...the game abruptly crashes.

ok

is it posible that the plyer can heal the teamates in a battle, when you are not in the menu. the same goes for raise.

For the player to be able to heal team mates, I didn't think about that actually, your team mates can heal each other and you ;) I'll see about this.

tibuda,
thanks.

tibuda;214899 said:
Just don't overpower your weapons and skills.
Yeah, that would be the easy thing to do. But I love games like Star Ocean where you're capable of insanely large amounts of damage end game. Seeing as this script is capable of over 4 million HP hits...I wanted to use it's potential.
I've been trying to find a script that somehow bypasses default Enemy HP caps, but I've had no luck.

tibuda;214899 said:
Add some self switches to these monsters and you have it.
Heh yeah, I worked with some 'monster' events today.
Trying to figure out ways todo certain scenes and special combat situations.
But I did get that worked out and realized how simple it is to make my own set of item drops.

tibuda;214899 said:
I've scripted a compatibility patch to Trickster beastiary to event encounter. It would not to be hard to do it with this ABS.
Really? Thanks man, i'll try to find and incorporate that into my game tonight.

tibuda;214899 said:
I had writed a lite HUD but never released it, and it showed all the party members hp, sp and states. But I don't know if I still have the code, I have to do some searches in my pc.
I'd like a copy of that if you still have it, i've noticed my people tend to be idiots on occasion and refuse to heal themselves, and yeah, it's alot easier to control them with the Squad commands. But sometimes you forget and they end up dying.

eek, make sure its 5.2 ;) I kind of posted earlier then I uploaded by accident. If it says 5.2 on the rar file then it is, I forgot to change the version number on script and title ;p

Yeah, I waited a moment before downloading it, I figured you were updating it when I clicked the second download link and it told me the file was temporarily unavailable. Then a few minutes later it was fixed. :P
Anyways, I just tested it.
Both Explosive_Skills and Ranged_Weapons are working perfectly.
Thanks alot man, you just made everything so much greater.

Now I just have to go back to my 'Training' levels and re-enable my Explosive Skills range test to play with it a bit.

Itachi

good work, but i can move right. when i push the "go left button" for two seconds or so normal the char go 2 or 3 steps further, but in your demo he go further and further.

LOL man, I was just testing out a new portion of a level, and noticed some horrible slowdown..and another problem (my fault, wrong personality.)
So I decided to open this forum and find the personality meanings (forgot where I saved them on my notepad.) and saw your anti-lag post.
Perfect timing...ha.

I set the
$antilag.max_cpu_utilization to 50 then 30. (Default was 70.)
I set
$antilag.high_priority to false.

But I still get the 'disposed sprite' error.
i'm not able to connect maps with this problem.
Did I set the wrong options? or is there another problem?

Another problem.
I set up a teleporting enemy, using a series of variables to randomly decide it's placement from the player. The enemy also shoots a ranged spell.
But if the enemy shoots a spell, then randomly shifts to the other side of the spell...
He gets hit by his own spell and starts beating himself up...
There a way to disable that, without having to disable the ability for monsters to beat each other up?
Is there something in the script I can call to disable that?
Or would I have to change something in the script itself?

Another thing...would it be possible to script the 'Deal Damage' event command to show damage like being hit?

This error occurs when inflicted with Paralyze:
Script 'Mr.Mo's SBABS Lite 1.0' line 792: NoMethodError occured
undefined method ` old speed=' for #<GamePlayer0x3ee8f18>

Line in question is " player.old_speed = player.move_speed"
in the # * Add State Effect(State, ID) section.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.