Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Mapping Improvement Thread 4

looking better. if you want more comments:
- again: I'd stick to 2-3 flowers with similar colors, and 1-2 trees. I'd also remove the rock pillars.
- I just noticed something about the building with the giant tree, its roof should be visible. (compare it to the other buildings to see what I mean).
- use more of the ground-path or stone-path auto-tile, to break the monotony of grass.
- why did you make the angel statue so dark? it looks fine in white, like in the original RTP.

silver wind":3p5uy6md said:
looking better. if you want more comments:
- again: I'd stick to 2-3 flowers with similar colors, and 1-2 trees. I'd also remove the rock pillars.
- I just noticed something about the building with the giant tree, its roof should be visible. (compare it to the other buildings to see what I mean).
- use more of the ground-path or stone-path auto-tile, to break the monotony of grass.
- why did you make the angel statue so dark? it looks fine in white, like in the original RTP.

You mean the middle buolding? Ok I'll fix that!

Ok, well I changed the color of them because whatever I did, the angels and pillars kept being transparent ( I know how to do it, but re-coloring the entire background is a lot of work. 1 or 2 types of trees? Why? there are not 2 types of trees out in the real world.

UPDATE:

I made even more improvements. Hope you like it:

wbdli9.png

I made a tower with many floors above each other (like a spiral stairs or square stairs).

When you walk up the stair on floor 1, floor 2, and 3 is visible etc.

say what you think or correct me if there is a (much) better way to do this

6igx9c.png

Tanks in advice

Ps. I still would like comments on my ^earlier map^ (previous comment)

DJ

Some guy that did RMXP before

Well this is one of my forest maps.
GW2_zps78345c8e.jpg

Map size : 101 x 90
People say that this map is too big and therefore hard to find path, but I don't really think so since the roads are quite simple
and the game have map system in it. And most of my maps have size about 50 x 50 ~ 120 x 120.
And some say the map lacks of something but i don't know what it is.

Well, give me your words people :)

9robin3: Clever, but I don't think that's how the tiles were meant to be used. If you really want to go with this approach, though, I'd suggest taking the right-most screen and editing the stair tiles to create some going the other way.

That's...very good looking. Quite expansive. Some sides seem jagged though.

PinesLab.png

The professor's lab in my Pokemon rom hack, with mostly edited/custom tiles.

DJ

crazycap%20resized.jpg

for the original 1:1 scale => HERE

Great Woods Village. [135 x 100] Starting town.
Name of it pretty much says its environment.... Town itself is built in forest.

This thing took me 2 weeks. -_-;; Is it too long for making of maps, I wonder?

But actually It took 2 weeks for making the final version. It is the map that has been re-made for few times,
So I'd say it took about... 3 weeks.

One man army is not... easy.

That looks like a nice improvement. I actually can't see much wrong with it.
Some more of my Pokemon rom hack stuff:

Hero's room (Aiden)
AidensRoom.png

Living room
Imhomemom.PNG

Note, I edited the tiles I made for Aiden's room before mapping the living room, so it's an improvement.

DJ":2qzla61x said:
crazycap%20resized.jpg

for the original 1:1 scale => HERE

Great Woods Village. [135 x 100] Starting town.
Name of it pretty much says its environment.... Town itself is built in forest.

This thing took me 2 weeks. -_-;; Is it too long for making of maps, I wonder?

But actually It took 2 weeks for making the final version. It is the map that has been re-made for few times,
So I'd say it took about... 3 weeks.

One man army is not... easy.
I love this map.
Everything is spot on. Only thing I would suggest would be to maybe edit the path auto tiles and have the long grass under it?

DJ

pipesnogger":9zw3h7pt said:
I love this map.
Everything is spot on. Only thing I would suggest would be to maybe edit the path auto tiles and have the long grass under it?

That's quite a good idea. It will blend the long grass very well. But this could also mean it won't blend well in short grass.
Well, maybe i will be able to make shortgrass-blend version and long-grass blend version. Thanks for the advice.

Last map I have to do before I actually do some major tileset modifying and start mapping my Pokemon rom hack's home town, Charge Town. This is the rival's room.

Rival's%20Room.png

DJ

rey meustrus":16tza34a said:
DJ and everyone else posting large maps, remember there's a tool around for simply capturing the whole map as an image: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=58344

Yeah, know that tool but it takes way too long time for a huge map and due to how RGSS's built, It can't ran on background.
So I just use captures.

I'm a bit stuck with this. I have a chain of maybe 20 maps between two places and on the face of it they're all the same kind of map, which I think might be making it monotonous, but I'm not sure. Can anyone think of a way to spruce up maps such as this one without every map ending up a random clusterfuck, or is it fine (or nearly fine) as it is?

16.png

That looks quite nice. Simple but good looking. The water could use some activity in it, but there's a bit too much empty space.

I couldn't use a bridge in Route 1 (which would use tileset 5 as it's second tileset) as changing Route 1's second tileset causes some of it's tileset to glitch into Charge Town if I go into Route 1 and come back.
Charge Town and Route 1 of my Pokemon rom hack:
Charge%20Town-Large.png

Route%201-Large.png

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.