Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Mapping Improvement Thread 4

Spooky, I really like that map. You shouldn't worry about it being empty as, I think, most swamps are kinda empty. You COULD just keep adding trees and stuff like that, but then the swamp-part will go away and get replaced by a forest, if you get what I mean.
You should also keep rey's advice, if it's part of a larger map, don't break it up in alot of 20x15's.
See, I can't think of anything new, so I just quote others. It REALLY is fine.

Tuna

Awesome Bro

The map looks great! It's good that you did more than just surround the islands with swamp. You took the initiative and actually put some life into the swamp. The only problem I have with those map is the flowers in the bottom-right corner. They kind of disrupt the dreary feel of the rest of the map.

Small or large maps is a matter of opinion really. We did have a thread on it, might be with digging it up. Personally I prefer "big maps" to just be made up of several 20x15s but again that's just me.

Spoo

Sponsor

I meant I was going to expand the map size to something larger (45 x 45 is around my favorite sizes to work with), and move that section to somewhere there. I dunno if I'll do that, though.

That tileset was just a quick swamp edit I did and if I wanted to do a complete woodland/swamp I'd have to edit further, and I don't know if I feel like doing that right now. [/lazy]

I'm with you guys about the flowers, though; they don't say "swamp" to me.

@Spooky
Frogs! Cattails (as in those things that stick up from the ground in lake thing). Tree roots in the water (water in swamps is usually pretty shallow!). Yucky green stuff like algae along the water. And more Lilly pads.... plus FROGS!

@Cait
The bright blue at the top is water? What? The stuff at the bottom is pretty obviously water but the one at the top definitely doesn't look like that at all. I'd peg it for sky but not water. Why not use the tile that is at the bottom?

Cait

oh, the top part, that's sky! o.o I thought you meant the stuff at the bottom. No, the top part is a panorama that came with Rpg maker 2003. I converted it and happened to like the way it looked to show that this was the way out. (like the edge of the map, so to speak, but I've made it a little bigger since then.) (#o.o#) Ooops! misunderstanding on my part, sorry.

Spooky":13i83p8e said:
Bog1.png
The mapping looks great, but I think Raven is right. Swamps are full of shit. You also have to watch out and make sure you're detailing the whole map evenly, it's a common oversight, but people tend to detail the center of the map and leave the outer edges more bare. I'm noticing this on the top border and the top right border. A couple RTP edits (and a great fog!) would take this map to the next level, such as some half submerged trunks, more fauna/flora variations, maybe some tree variations? These are pretty easy to do, too. I wouldn't throw anything too hard to do at you. :)

stock-photo-flat-wooden-foot-bridge-over-small-brook-29490718.jpg

swamp.jpg

Tupolo%20Swamp.jpg

Good luck!

LaDestitute, if this is a Sonic the Hedgehog themed map (that's what it looks like to me), you're indeed missing (checkered) cliffs as well as you need to replace the trees with taller palmtrees. (assuming you're going for the level-one-green-hill look)

Fornicate thyself, browser.

I'm working on this map in VX using Mac tiles:

dhlostcryptswip.png

I know it looks really bare, I haven't added any detail yet. The elevation in this map looks really awkward but I'm not sure how to fix it. Any suggestions?

Jason

Awesome Bro

You could try using a darker tone for the lower level of the room? Right now the floors just look continuous, seperated only by stair tiles and those golden barriers...

Lurker77":2xh3o58z said:
I'm working on this map in VX using Mac tiles:

dhlostcryptswip.png

I know it looks really bare, I haven't added any detail yet. The elevation in this map looks really awkward but I'm not sure how to fix it. Any suggestions?
It looks awkward because the walls in the middle of the room are 2 tiles high, and yet the railing in the middle only goes down 1 tile. Your railing needs to go down 1 more tile. :)

You also might want to edit the color of the railing. The yellow looks really bright. I would go with grey or another sandstone color. In fact, you might want to scrap the railing all together. Does that tileset not come with an elevated edge? or and edge at all?

Tuna

Awesome Bro

Additionally, your ceiling tile (which is green, something most people expect to be blackish) has a small black line going across the bottom row of pixels.

Tuna":1tiwwfvs said:
Additionally, your ceiling tile (which is green, something most people expect to be blackish) has a small black line going across the bottom row of pixels.
Beginning to see why I can never make out anything in dark maps people make; I couldn't tell at all until opening it in paint and filling in with white.

Tuna

Awesome Bro

Amy Pond":1nnmpw0c said:
Tuna":1nnmpw0c said:
Beginning to see why I can never make out anything in dark maps people make; I couldn't tell at all until opening it in paint and filling in with white.
Sounds like you need to mess around with your contrast/brightness. You're missing lines and vag all over the place!

See, thing is, I always use factory settings. If I do then thousands of others must too. Which is why dark maps are a bad idea always.

But that's off topic, sorry.

I like that map, but the shadows on the gold bars are a bit messed up. It looks like you can walk from the centre down both side paths under the bars as they don't have a wall shadow like the walls, but presumably with the stairs this isn't the case.

You have random stairs. I can't tell what's supposed to be what level. If the middle is supposed to be a lower level, I'd suggest you drop a shadow on the floor. Along the railing... and what's with the random shadows at the top? Otherwise you need to drop a level in stairs or something or whatever height elsewhere. It's making zero sense as it is now. What's with the wall in the middle being so big as well? I can't figure out your stuff at all. ^^

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.