Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Mapping Improvement Thread 4

Jason

Awesome Bro

ShadowMainZERO":1uokqtod said:
I suppose it kind of does but I'm not sure how to fill up that space and still have it look good. I suppose I could just throw in more weeds and flowers but there's only so much one can do with those.

So I decided to take an hour of my time to map the village you've done, using a 40x40 grid, I mean, it's not any smaller, and it's using a similar layout, and I've kept the features on the map, but I think I've made it a little more crowded... the only thing I haven't added is some sort of barrier on the edges of the map, but meh... can't be bothered, it's 2am.

MAP003.png

Even still, there's plenty of room for improvement on this map, more trees, or even the flower auto-tile I never really thought about using it, just for the fenced off flowers.

It's interesting but something about it doesn't sit right with me (other than the layering errors and the insane number of NPCs for a small village imo).

Really, something does bug me about it severely but I can't put my finger on it.

Jason

Awesome Bro

The layering errors are to do with the script that takes the picture lol.

And there's 7 houses, or if you don't count the big ones, 5, and 15 NPC's, that's only 3 people per household... plus a dog.

... Actually it's only 14 NPC's since one of them is a traveling merchant, lol

Jason

Awesome Bro

... Actually I missed some of the NPC's (Yeah it's past 2am and I'm tired, lay off!), but still, there's on average 3-4 people per household, that's not really a lot is it?

Could it be the dull color of the grass? It looks somehow lower contrast than normal RTP grass.

I may need to look into the priority errors people are getting with the script. I notice there wasn't an error at the well, so something's working right. Is the priority set properly for the tileset?

The flowers are on top of the fence in the squares. Btw... I don't think people have that much area for flowers. Usually a fence is more for the back yard... if it's in the front it also encloses the walk-way. That type of autotile I always thought was for wild flowers. I'd just use the other flowers and line them along the front of the house rather than having them fenced off like that, imo. The rest of the flower plants and trees remain too helter-skelter and all kinda single-ly put all around. Plants grow in clumps... they grow near each other. Together! It's like the repeating mistake with almost all outside maps. :p

Jason

Awesome Bro

Raven, if you'd actually read what was put instead of jumping to conclusions after seeing a picture, you'd know that it's to do with the script that gives off some priority errors, and not my mistakes...

Well sorry that I assume the text stuff is critiques on other maps :\ You don't have to get so defensive because I was just trying to point something out and help. Geeze.

I'm sorry Raven, but I've got to agree with Jbrist over there. You can't just waltz into a topic and start saying things if you don't know the current conversation. Let's get on with a map again?

Well how cute. I don't have to help anyone if I don't want to so fine, I won't bother giving my opinion then because I just happened to gloss over something so minor that could have been easily ignored instead of brought into SUCH a big deal without reason.

Jason

Awesome Bro

One sentence isn't a big deal just so you know, and assuming is never a good thing to do, but it really does help to actually read what people put instead of just looking at the pictures.

Anyway like Mr_Smith said, let's get back to maps.

Cait

@Raven: (^_^) Thanks! I missed your comment. The blue part is water. I know it's an odd color, but that's what it's suppose to be. I think I will try your trick with the fog, because that's was one of my concerns. I'll have to look into changing the size, not exactly an expert and only using .... GIMP! (ToT) I hate gimp! Anyway, I appreciate all of your advice!

Spoo

Sponsor

ShadowMainZERO":ry4qr5bo said:
It is. It also seems needlessly large considering the player can only pass through a small section of it.

It's 20x15; I can't make it any smaller than that :x

But yeah, I get what you're saying; it's probably going to be implemented into a larger map or used for a cinematic or something.

I think that map looks excellent and don't see any reason to change it. However, if it's part of a larger swamp, I'd rather it not be broken up into 20x15 spaces and it be broken into larger pieces.

there is almost and virtually nothing wrong with the map
(at least i cant spot anything)
if I was going to be super duper picky i would say that the orange flower doesnt really match the tone or the colors of the map and I would instead use something duller
(super nit-picky!!!!)
so you keep mapping like that you got this~

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.