Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Mapping Improvement Thread 4

Sase

Since I haven't really done anything in this forum (not even lurking)...

It's with the RTP, about 3-4 months old map

r0cl4x.png

Great map, Sase, must took you awhile ^^
I see nothing wrong with it, but you should spice it up with fog, screen tone, wild animals and NPCs. Since you're not using the waterfall autotiles, you can add flowers with autotile 47-flower01 or add details to the path using autotiles 03 and 41.

Not bad for a mountain map. I would suggest working on the straight areas though (some undulations, cliff edges, rocks), where they could be less linear. I see a lot of paths there, probably more than necessary; unless it's a very popular mountain road, generally there wouldn't be so many. Don't be afraid to add more grass (I prefer large areas to the tiny 1-tile clumps) and more elevation, though you've done a decent job with that already.

Sase

silver wind":3ec05jtd said:
Great map, Sase, must took you awhile ^^
I see nothing wrong with it, but you should spice it up with fog, screen tone, wild animals and NPCs. Since you're not using the waterfall autotiles, you can add flowers with autotile 47-flower01 or add details to the path using autotiles 03 and 41.
Thanks.
I actually did have a fog and screen tone for it, but to take the whole map (or 90% of it) into one screenshot I had to print screen from editor view. I think I accidently deleted the event tho, but its not that hard to make a new one.
I wanted the mountain to look a bit plain so I didn't add anything "man-made" expect the bridges.

BubblesVonSalamancer":3ec05jtd said:
Not bad for a mountain map. I would suggest working on the straight areas though (some undulations, cliff edges, rocks), where they could be less linear. I see a lot of paths there, probably more than necessary; unless it's a very popular mountain road, generally there wouldn't be so many. Don't be afraid to add more grass (I prefer large areas to the tiny 1-tile clumps) and more elevation, though you've done a decent job with that already.
Frankly I had a hard time with using the other layers since for my normal mapping this was pretty tightly together-put map and 2nd layer was almost full. I'll see if I can improve it in some way.

A map I'm working on for the evented intro in my game TCT.

snap1b.png

What I have so far is a N/R/R Chao coming onto the screen, spotting a 20 Rings itembox (then a ! emoti-ball). The Sonic Chao grabs a Speed Shoes itembox, dashes forward, jumps onto a spring, jumps upward and then snags the 20 Rings itembox. :D

zchin

Sponsor

I usually, never make a map that has only one elevation level... I but don't know the limits with breeze,

Bacon said to post some stuff here because I needed help, I think so too,
bigscrenshot.png
This supposed to be a mountain passage...

Thank you and have a nice day!

okay, so I made a map similar to yours, not exact. A few things:

-long bridges look bad
-use autotiles
-cave walls should make up the majority of your detailing

MAP017.png

its not perfect by any means, but I hope you can use this as an example. c:

zchin

Sponsor

Ohh, I see now, i've been using the tileset wrong >.< I was treating it like a house tileset... ok, I will redo the map and make it better then thanks bacon :smile:
And tuna, I got powned* by bacon :smile:

Edit:
thiefx.png

Thank you and have a nice day!

Hi there! I was wondering if anyone could help me here. I have a tileset and two carpet autotiles but I can't really decide which one should I use (and I should just use one~) so I'd really appreciate some help!

The First One:

untitled2.png

The Second One:

untitled-3.png

Personally, I am going for the second one, but I'll really appreciate help or even suggestions!

I like the second, though I'd suggest inching the carpet down one tile? (the bookshelves look odd at the edge of the carpet, and though it might look off, it's symmetrical if you count the row under the roof autotile). Otherwise, it's pretty.

Tuna

Awesome Bro

Yeah, you'll probably want to take Regicida's advice. Either inch it down a tile, or inch it back one. It might make more sense to inch it back since that's how you have it for the bookcases against the wall above them.

Tuna

Awesome Bro

The shadow looks good, but you could have used it better. There are a few little inaccuracies:
shadows.png
Otherwise it looks great!

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.