Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Ideas/suggestions for a new CBS

Hi everybody!

Before I start, I would like to make things clear. I'm neither requesting nor taking request. I'm starting this thread to gather ideas for a new CBS for RPGVX.
I'm doing this because I'm not satisfied with the currently available battle systems and I've decided to make my own one based on your ideas, suggestions and opinions.

So, I'd like to know, what you would like to see in this CBS? What would be cool and/or useful, what do you like the most in a CBS, etc.
Note that I will not make an ABS, TBS or anything of the like. I want this battle system to be as compatible as possible with any other VX scripts.
Remember that it's for RPGVX ONLY!

For those who don't know what ABS and TBS means:
- ABS: Action Battle System (Zelda, Secret of Mana, ...)
- TBS: Tactical Battle System (FF Tactic, ...)

Go ahead, say everything you have in mind!  :thumb:
Thanks in advance!
-Dargor

Twirly

Sponsor

Ok I have got some more Ideas (as optional scripts of course)
First: Conditional Turn Based Battle like in FFX.
Second:
When a character falls asleep, a violet bar (or another color) appears below the battler.
When it is the characters turn you have some time (like 3 seconds) to press Enter as fast as you can. Each time you push enter the bar drops a bit
and when the bar is empty, the character wakes up :)
Third:
None. (Well I still am working on the concept)

Did you design AC?

Twirly

Sponsor

I was just trying to be funny lol
:(
Anyway
The third thing (beta version...heh)
This maybe kind of complicated because I SUCK at explaining this,
and I don't know if you like the idea either.
OK first of all, every character has three elements(You shouldn't be able to change them)
Every element has a color(fire -> red, water -> blue).
Now comes the battle system part:
When a character attacks an orb appears (don't know the positioning)
which has different colors/elements in it.
It looks kind of like this (warning sucky paint graphic)
http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/5690/unbenanntza8.png[/img]
Of course in the battle system it will look 1000 times better XD.
So this "Elemental Orb" appears. Now this thing is a bit hard to explain.
Around this orb a black ring appears, which gets smaller and smaller now you have to press enter to stop it.
If the ring stops in the red area (look at the example graphic)
Your attack has fire effects :)
If you don't stop the ring. The attack won't have any elemental effect.
If the weapon which the actor is carying has the same element as the attack you get a damage bonus :D

Wow that's a great idea. I don't know why but it reminds me of Gears of War weapon reload system :)
The only thing that bugs me a bit it the specefic element set, but the overall ides is really really good!

Twirly

Sponsor

I actually think that three or four selectable zones are enough :)
BTW Dargor:
Do you make those battle system enhancements as extra scripts so you can choose what you want
and then the "Core Scripts" Which are for battlers and all the nessecary stuff?
And how much have you scripted (sorry can't wait XD)
Will you script my idea too? <3
And will you really script ALL the good ideas Oo
EDIT:
If you answer the third and the fourth question with "YES" you are the RMVX scripting god.

Rliv

I've got some ideas to place in.

special attack frames
Not sure if this had been mentioned in an idea. But the possibility to add attack frames for special skills and such. Like take an attack called wolf fang. You'd make a skill png and name it wolf_fang or something, and that animation file plays for the special attacks. I think it'd also be good for those attacks that aren't particularly, magic based. Or instead of a file, the special animation area of RMVX could be used to emulate attacks, by linking it to skills through the script or something.

Multiple hitting
Another Idea I had, was adding on amount a special skill can hit a foe. Like say you have double attack or something, you're able to hit multiple times in 1 strike or how much you set it up. This could also work with the animations I mentioned or something.

Sub specials
Special attacks you can set to hot keys, like if you're low on
HP or something you can press a hot key to use the skill once every 2 turns or however you set it up.

Just some thoughts though.

Yaxor

My Idea:

The CBS dont stop, so when you select a command the member will do it instantly. If you quickly select everyone movies, before the member have finished his attack, another party member will start to hit the enemy: this will do multiple hit (a HIT counter is displayed).
A bar will fill the more you attack. The bar is fast: so about 5 or 6 attack will make the bar fill. If you didnt filled it and the turn is over the bar will return to 0 (so no, you can't stack).  When the bar is filled, the screen will turn dark. You have 10 seconds to select a character that you whish and then, that character will do a special attack. If with that special attack the combo bar is filled again, you can reuse the special attack, but the character with you previously used the special attack cant be selected. So after four times (assuming the CBS uses four members) you cant do that.
If you have ever played Valkyrie Profile, you will understand.

Rliv":2opbr8cl said:
special attack frames
Not sure if this had been mentioned in an idea. But the possibility to add attack frames for special skills and such. Like take an attack called wolf fang. You'd make a skill png and name it wolf_fang or something, and that animation file plays for the special attacks. I think it'd also be good for those attacks that aren't particularly, magic based. Or instead of a file, the special animation area of RMVX could be used to emulate attacks, by linking it to skills through the script or something.

It will be possible to set different animations for every weapons/items/skills.
Now, I'm not sure if I will use Battle Animations for the animated battlers, or use the good old battler sprite sheets. I'll probably use animations but I'd like to have your opinion about that :)

Multiple hitting
Another Idea I had, was adding on amount a special skill can hit a foe. Like say you have double attack or something, you're able to hit multiple times in 1 strike or how much you set it up. This could also work with the animations I mentioned or something.

Yes

Sub specials
Special attacks you can set to hot keys, like if you're low on
HP or something you can press a hot key to use the skill once every 2 turns or however you set it up.

Good idea. But it might be only a battle add-on.

@asdren
That for sure ;)

@Yaxor
There's a couple of nice ideas here, but the whole thing looks like a Real Time Active Battle (RTAB), speeded up.
To be honest, I really don't like when battles in a RPG are too fast (i mean, real fast), and also, it's really not funny when you try to do something and because you weren't fast enough, your turn is canceled : /
Also, I've never played Valkyrie Profile, but it looks really nice.
But still, I'll take a few things into consideration ;)

Yaxor

I know. Probably you are too far in development of the CBS to modify a lot of things just to insert some feature: also, you have a good point.

Keep the good work up, your projects are always full of ambition and awesomeness!

Twirly

Sponsor

Also I think it would be awesome to have a "Special Skill Effect and Skill Choreography" Editor
which is an editor which allows you to edit the skills so they have additional effects and you can use it to have multiple animations,change charcter movement and so on.

Oh and also make sure that in the system I posted (the one with element circles) the circle's colors always swap per turn, so that it won't be too easy.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.