Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Ideas/suggestions for a new CBS

Hi everybody!

Before I start, I would like to make things clear. I'm neither requesting nor taking request. I'm starting this thread to gather ideas for a new CBS for RPGVX.
I'm doing this because I'm not satisfied with the currently available battle systems and I've decided to make my own one based on your ideas, suggestions and opinions.

So, I'd like to know, what you would like to see in this CBS? What would be cool and/or useful, what do you like the most in a CBS, etc.
Note that I will not make an ABS, TBS or anything of the like. I want this battle system to be as compatible as possible with any other VX scripts.
Remember that it's for RPGVX ONLY!

For those who don't know what ABS and TBS means:
- ABS: Action Battle System (Zelda, Secret of Mana, ...)
- TBS: Tactical Battle System (FF Tactic, ...)

Go ahead, say everything you have in mind!  :thumb:
Thanks in advance!
-Dargor

How about something similar to Tales of The Abyss' Field of Fonons system? Of course I adapted it to a turn based system to work.

To elaborate...

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c206/ ... hange5.png[/img]

The battlefield can have any sort of elemental alignment during battle depending on your actions. Normally the field's element is neutral.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c206/ ... hange4.png[/img]

If you used a skill in a neutral field, then nothing happens.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c206/ ... hange1.png[/img]

But if someone casts an elemental spell...

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c206/ ... hange2.png[/img]

The element of the field changes!

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c206/ ... hange3.png[/img]

Now if you use the right skill/spell while the field's element is changed, it becomes something else. For example here, using Thunder Claw in a fire element field, turns into Volcanic Claw, which is much better than Thunder Claw.

After any sort of skill in used during a changed field which causes an alternate skill, it reverts back to neutral. The field also reverts back to neutral after a few turns if no one takes advantage of it beforehand.

Just tossing an idea out there. :3

You guys are giving me a lot if very interresting ideas! This element system reminds me of the geomancer class abilities, but in a much more elaborate way.

I was looking at your pictures (both Avadan and Skie Fortress) and is was wondering if these battlers were made by you? Because, I think I will ask someone to make a few sideview battlers for the CBS. If anyone is interrested of course. Its the least important thing right now but I think it would be nice to see something new and more original than the default RTP, White Ties, RM2K3 or anything that has been already used 1000 times.

The battlers from my mock ups are edited rips from different games, though I got a bunch of them, I whould need some time to make different posses for them
Skie Fortress battlers are edits from Summon night... I think

hahaha! Just spamming to say, Topic Views = 1337!!!
All jokes aside, I'll take a look at Summon Night and see if I can rip a couple of things from it.

@Skie Fortress
Oh and BTW, I've seen your old XP CBS request. If everyone could make requests like you do, the world would cease to suffer :) I'd like to take a few ideas from it, if you don't mind? Credits will be given of course ;) Credits will be given to everybody here anyway.

Take care!
-Dargor

Dargor":1kugj69j said:
hahaha! Just spamming to say, Topic Views = 1337!!!
All jokes aside, I'll take a look at Summon Night and see if I can rip a couple of things from it.

@Skie Fortress
Oh and BTW, I've seen your old XP CBS request. If everyone could make requests like you do, the world would cease to suffer :) I'd like to take a few ideas from it, if you don't mind? Credits will be given of course ;) Credits will be given to everybody here anyway.

Take care!
-Dargor

Sure, be my guest. I don't mind.

Twirly

Sponsor

I have 2 questions:
First: Will it support charsets as battlers like in tankentai?
Second: Will it be compatible with all your other scripts? (stupid question but who knows)
If not those are my two suggestions.

My dream is to see a GrandChase battle system for RPG Maker XP/VX. Period with the right of three dots. dot dot dot
If you want screenshots, ask.
Ah, just saw you've just got your idea. Sorry.

So this is already in progress?

Well, if I might make a (very late) suggestion,
to talk about skills...

How about this:

When using certain skills, have a movie/animation
play between the player and the rest of the screen.
And possibly tint the screen(under the animation) a
certain color, depending on the element tagging.
Example ~ Fire = Red; vs Angel = Gold; vs Devil = Scarlet.

I know it's a little late for suggestions, but I wanted my
voice to be heard.

No, it's not too late for suggestions. I still take them :)

Larynni":jr5sttap said:
My dream is to see a GrandChase battle system for RPG Maker XP/VX. Period with the right of three dots. dot dot dot
If you want screenshots, ask.
Please do, I'd like to see what it looks like.

The greatest thing will be - animated chars and enemys

THAT ENEMYS WILL ATTACK WITH SWORDS

but thats a hell of a work to edit all those deafult RTP chars

BUT ILL GIVE YOU A CREDIT IN THE TITLE PICTURE IF YOU`LL INCLUDE IT IN UR CBS!!

TELL ME IF U DO PM ME

Mr TBB":2m1apby4 said:
The greatest thing will be - animated chars and enemys

THAT ENEMYS WILL ATTACK WITH SWORDS

but thats a hell of a work to edit all those deafult RTP chars

BUT ILL GIVE YOU A CREDIT IN THE TITLE PICTURE IF YOU`LL INCLUDE IT IN UR CBS!!

TELL ME IF U DO PM ME
the stuff you just wrote already exist if you use your head hard enought to edit the tankentai battle system + edit it and you can also look for addon scripts for it
i already got a script that make my enemys wear equips (meanwhile only weapons cuz armors are useless...)
and that's how you can make the enemys attack with sword/bow or anything else.
(the only prob im having with the bow is how to make the arrow shot to the other side, i edited the script and stuff but seems like it wouldnt work >.> [and yes i have a animation where it flies to the other side...])
if you want i can help you with what you wrote :)

and about my idea for CBS: well.... i got toooooo many idea in my head but i cant write it all here :P
well... the main thing i think a good cbs should have its a skills system where the character casts a spell,
then he jumps up and the screen follows him, like in golden sun and stuff.... i tried to look for a video of rpg maker version of the cbs i'd like to post here but unfortunatly i could find it :/
sorry if my word are missunderstood >.>

Golden Sun is a direct source of inspiration. One of my favourite RPGs.
By combining panoramic backgrounds and skill events, zoom feature, etc, you will be able to do that with my cbs :)

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.