Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Ideas/suggestions for a new CBS

Hi everybody!

Before I start, I would like to make things clear. I'm neither requesting nor taking request. I'm starting this thread to gather ideas for a new CBS for RPGVX.
I'm doing this because I'm not satisfied with the currently available battle systems and I've decided to make my own one based on your ideas, suggestions and opinions.

So, I'd like to know, what you would like to see in this CBS? What would be cool and/or useful, what do you like the most in a CBS, etc.
Note that I will not make an ABS, TBS or anything of the like. I want this battle system to be as compatible as possible with any other VX scripts.
Remember that it's for RPGVX ONLY!

For those who don't know what ABS and TBS means:
- ABS: Action Battle System (Zelda, Secret of Mana, ...)
- TBS: Tactical Battle System (FF Tactic, ...)

Go ahead, say everything you have in mind!  :thumb:
Thanks in advance!
-Dargor

Rliv

It will be possible to set different animations for every weapons/items/skills.
Now, I'm not sure if I will use Battle Animations for the animated battlers, or use the good old battler sprite sheets. I'll probably use animations but I'd like to have your opinion about that :)

Animations, you can do a lot with them, and so far with normal battler sheets, one system I found a while back had that option. It was making the attacks work the right way with the sheets or displaying them was a problem. I'm all with animations for attacks that go beyond the normal special skill animation.

So yeah, go with animations, I think they're way better 1 and you can get more variety with them.

What I want is some type of card system. A character has a set of cards, and they are randomly chosen. The chosen card sort of dictates what move you can act.
Along with that, the battle is turn based on who has the most agility (one character acts, then another with the highest agl immediately acts) with a skill delay. Once you choose an action, it takes X time for the action to occur, and then have to wait until you can act again.
Also, you can sort of level up your cards system. Say one card is 100% attack, you can level it up so that an attack does 120%.
also, set skills to the card(s).

Hero

Not sure if this is already mentioned, but it would be nice to map commands to buttons like in Star Ocean (And possibly Valkyrie Profile but I haven't played the VP series yet so I don't know how their battle system works). Like, say you press X for attack, Z to open up a standard menu that displays extra commands, A and S as hot keys for selected skills. Or, you could use A for char 1 to attack, S for char 2 to attack, Z for char 3 to attack, X for char 4 to attack, D for standard menu, and Q & W for skill hot keys. For the character attack buttons, it should be combined with a multi-hit and an ATB for each characters so you can't spam attacks.

I hope it will be side view battle system

its because with the side view battle system..
1. I can see the hero
2. it is possible to use monster summoner system, the monster come from behind the hero and attack the enemy.. and BOOM -great effect!!!

I hope your CBS easy to customize(easy to make enemy, hero, skill, weapon, etc)
because there are many great CBS but it difficult to customize

Twirly

Sponsor

Dargor I want to renew my idea because I don't like it that much... (but it is almost the same)
http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/5690/unbenanntza8.png[/img]
So the red area should always be gray, the blue one should have a darker gray and thebrown one should be black. (you can change the colors in script of course)
So when the you stop the ring at the gray are, you make an attack which inflicts normal damage, when you stop in the dark grey area you get a damage boost of 15% (because it is harder to hit)
If you stop at the black area (hardest to hit, because it is the smallest) you gain a damage boost of 40% (of course you can change the boost amount)

I think a battle system like this will much more challenging!!
http://imageshack.us/thumbnmail.png[/img]

when the hero charging the magic/summoning a monster,
the player must input/press the correct keys and then press the space key to go
before the time bar empty!!
if the time bar empty, the monster summoning/magic will be canceled/failed

sorry for a bad grammar
sorry for a bad drawing, it just a draft I make it by my self  :blush:

the thumbnail does not work, but please click this to see the image
the image is in the .swf format!!

if you see a blank screen, just wait a moment,  it's because I do forgot making a loading screen.. :blush:

A thing that i personally loved was the proficiency system from Star Ocean 2,
i remember going to fun city and passing hours training my heal spell, that, at every 3 uses, healed one more point, or cure light, that everytime was used it evoluted one point more...
I think is also a cool idea to implement the area of effect kind of skill from Chrono trigger, I.E, Lucca´s flametoss hits one enemy plus every enemy on its path.  really a neat thing...

I'm working on a battle-system like Chocobo dungeon and the Pokemon rescue team series.. Although I guess no one really likes those kind of battle systems...

(BTW what do you call that battle-system?)

@iceblue
This could be a nice add-on

@JosephSeraph
Skills and items with area of effect will be in ;)

@omegazion
Never played that game but I can take a look at it. Also, I don't have a name yet for this cbs.

Twirly

Sponsor

Dargor's ultimate cbs of awesomeness? d:O
Also here some things: (don't know if they have been mentioned)
Being able to change equipement in battle.
Being able to throw weapons (for specific classes?)
Being able to change actors in battle (with your large party script)
Conditional turn based.
Some extra functions for skills. (like hp cost)
And of course the things I already said before :P
I think I am done.

PS:
When is the "deadline" for giving you ideas? I mean if this continues forever... D:
Also I hope, I am not annyoing you with my ideas (which are kind of requests :D)
omegazion":7zuhwv3s said:
I'm working on a battle-system like Chocobo dungeon and the Pokemon rescue team series.. Although I guess no one really likes those kind of battle systems...

(BTW what do you call that battle-system?)
Cheer up! :D
I actually think it is a good idea :)
I am pretty sure I would take it in my new project,
if you finish it before darg finishes his! :O (because tankentai ANNOYS me)

Being able to change equipement in battle.: Yes!
Being able to throw weapons (for specific classes?): Add-On
Being able to change actors in battle (with your large party script): Yes!
Conditional turn based.: Not sure yet
Some extra functions for skills. (like hp cost) Add-On

Kafei

I like the idea of using regular RTP-style sprites for the battlers, I think that's what would be easiest for everyone by default (not everyone has access to custom battlers or even custom sprites for their games). There should be an option for people to use their own battlers though, of course.

Here are some things I'd like to see (sorry if I'm mentioning things that were already mentioned):

* I think the idea of having a morphing character would be neat (think Terra from FF6). Not necessarily with the same restrictions, though.
* Support for ranged weapons, like bows, guns, etc.
* Face-graphics included in the battle somewhere? Perhaps it pops up above the battle menu on the actor's turn, while selecting actions.
* ATB-style gauges with support for states like haste, slow and stop.

Thank you, i love AoE in non ABS systems (i consider Tales of and Star Ocean ABS, though i like star ocean)

Also..... I´d love to see my charas teaming together for a big skill(hey crono!)Like Fiery gelade(fire + Bizzard), etc

You could have an option for the user to toogle between charset and battlecharset, so everybody would use it, but it´d allow full customization...How do you plan making the  AoE<------QUESTION    It is going to be wonderful, but, depending on the way you set, there will be hard algorithyms for the REFLECT state..

Listening to: PLATINA, Sakura Card Captors

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.