Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Ideas/suggestions for a new CBS

Hi everybody!

Before I start, I would like to make things clear. I'm neither requesting nor taking request. I'm starting this thread to gather ideas for a new CBS for RPGVX.
I'm doing this because I'm not satisfied with the currently available battle systems and I've decided to make my own one based on your ideas, suggestions and opinions.

So, I'd like to know, what you would like to see in this CBS? What would be cool and/or useful, what do you like the most in a CBS, etc.
Note that I will not make an ABS, TBS or anything of the like. I want this battle system to be as compatible as possible with any other VX scripts.
Remember that it's for RPGVX ONLY!

For those who don't know what ABS and TBS means:
- ABS: Action Battle System (Zelda, Secret of Mana, ...)
- TBS: Tactical Battle System (FF Tactic, ...)

Go ahead, say everything you have in mind!  :thumb:
Thanks in advance!
-Dargor

Seems like people don't read.

Dargor":2n2c1k4d said:
Before I start, I would like to make things clear. I'm neither requesting nor taking request. I'm starting this thread to gather ideas for a new CBS for RPGVX.

Note that I will not make an ABS, TBS or anything of the like.

For those who don't know what ABS and TBS means:
- ABS: Action Battle System (Zelda, Secret of Mana, ...)
- TBS: Tactical Battle System (FF Tactic, ...)

Instead of choosing whether to make it ATB or Turn-Based or not, why not give a choice? How about an options menu where the user can toggle options?

@Skie Forteress
I heard of that game only a month ago, it looks awesome, It's really my kind of battle system. Gotta buy this game as soon as possible.

@Krobelus
I don't want to merge everything together, I'm taking the very best of what people are posting to make something new.
I really want to make something that is not common.

I too like the CBS of FFX-2, it's a pretty fast CBS for an FF. However, the "monster becoming stronger" part of it isn't really linked with the battle mechanics, but it can be a good add-on.

@MukanshinBlack, xephyr14
Timed hits and combo FTW! One of the main reason why I've played this game so much.

@Luxil
I'm not sure what to think about this one. It looks like a simple side view battle system, with a jump feature to evade attacks.
I might be wrong, since I've never heard of that game.

@Azuaya
I think that's one of the main reason why the Takentai CBS is so popular. I will probably let the user choose between RTPs or custom animated battlers.

@Necro_100000
No maps in this CBS.

@indian giver
Now that's really impressive for a RPG2K game. I like the idea of having small "cut scenes" for certain skills.

@wrathchild
I'm not going to mimic the DS features and implement a mouse support only for a CBS.
However, I like the idea of timer-based skills. (Like some overdrives in FFX?)

@Chronnopro
I will probably change the battle menu but I still want it to be as compatible as possible with other scripts.
ABout the cards battle system, the problem is not the AI but the system itself. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but when I hear cards battle, I think Triple Triad from FF8.

@New2Ya
Yeah, some things about TRPGs could be nice in an ATB.

@MasterMind, Guardian1239
I can add an Active/Wait option.

Twirly

Sponsor

@indian giver
Now that's really impressive for a RPG2K game. I like the idea of having small "cut scenes" for certain skills.
Not only that is cool! Did you see the action order bar? And below the names of the chars there are some points which you can fill by attacking enemies.
There are some skills which use them.. If you want more info about the CBS I could PM it to you ;)

Twirly

Sponsor

I hope you could make something like that!
I have another idea for the cbs!
It would be nice to have a feature like rm2k3 for the battlers which you could make animations too for attacking and standing and all the battle poses.
Btw, I'm terribly sorry for your companion cube, he was the best  :sad:
Thank you *sniff* but in times like this I have to be strong *sniff*...... :cry:

Dargor":1gxiadf6 said:
@Krobelus
I too like the CBS of FFX-2, it's a pretty fast CBS for an FF. However, the "monster becoming stronger" part of it isn't really linked with the battle mechanics, but it can be a good add-on.

Yes.. actually the actual speed of it might be a problem for the maker to handle.. although the add-on with the monsters becoming stronger part might make a good goal for me :D

Herr Frederick Von Twirlenkiller":1gxiadf6 said:
I have another idea for the cbs!
It would be nice to have a feature like rm2k3 for the battlers which you could make animations too for attacking and standing and all the battle poses.
I think there are already animated battle systems, but I could be wrong, and I always loved that feature of RM2K3 and it was really simple too.

If it were done I think I would have to request that the animations be compatible with the RM2K3 battler animations so that reusing older (and creating newer) resources would be much easier/simpler due to familiarity.

-Krobe

The animated battler system will be highly customizable; you'll be able to use spritesheets ala RM2K3 or have seperate sheets for different poses.

Why would the speed be a problem? The speed of the battle will probably not be as fast as in FFX-2 but I'll try to find a good compromise between the default turn based battles and a real time CBS.

Vivere

Hey there Dargor :) This is rather cool of you...seems a daunting task to someone like me to make a whole battle system, so it's commendable that you'd take on such a task. Unfortunately, I don't think my suggestion fits your criteria, because it has elements of a tactic battle system, yet somewhat real time at the same time. That doesn't stop me from telling you about it anyway on the small off chance that you might consider it! Nevertheless, it's an extremely unique battle system (think it's the only game to ever have it). The battle system I speak of is from the Squaresoft SNES RPG called Live A Live. It was only released in japan, but there's an unofficial English translation download for it at this link: http://www.rom-world.com/file.php?id=27417

Regardless of whether it fits your criteria or not, it's still a game worth playing (one of my 2 favorite single player RPGs of all time), if you're interested in having some fun on your breaks from making whatever battle system you choose to make :)

That's really interresting. I've never seen this kind of battle system before.
I won't make a TBS but as I've said, there's a lot of things in a TBS that I can adapt to another kind of CBS.
Any ideas are good! ;)

And thanks for the link, I'll take a look at it.

Take care!
-Dargor

How about...

Adding to the sideview battle system a broader battleback... so the "camera" whould follow who ever is taking an action at the moment... and maybe zoom in for some skills
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y22/Avadan/Rpg/01.png[/img]
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y22/Avadan/Rpg/02.png[/img]

And behind your party could be the other members of your team, so that you can see them when you want to change party members or some one of your active battle party dies and needs to be switched
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y22/Avadan/Rpg/03.png[/img]

That way you can have more enemys in  battle and maybe need to kill the first line of enemys to reach the ones behind... that in other way could only be reached by long distance weapons!

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y22/Avadan/Rpg/04.png[/img]

Dargor":c0wt93dl said:
I really like your mockups by the way!
They are old edits I made for a project I never did

Ok, ok... then how about!

You use that timeactivewatchamacallit battle system (like grandia) somehow very popular in previus posts
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y22/Avadan/Rpg/05.png[/img]
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y22/Avadan/Rpg/06.png[/img]
The one that indicates with a bar when each character will attack and some attacks delays the enemys(orpartymembers) turn

But! If your turn comes right before the enemys attack time freezes, and you could defend or try to hit the enemy before he hits you
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y22/Avadan/Rpg/07.png[/img]
... though depending on the attack or skill you choose to use and the distance the enemy is from the character... you could attack the enemy before he attacks you or fail and receive more damage, defense whould always be immediately
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y22/Avadan/Rpg/08.png[/img]

You're reading my mind or what? :P
I will make a sort of "parry" feature, to cancel enemy attacks and even reflect the attack. It will be more dynamic though; you'll have to press a button when the enemy attacks. I'm not entirely sure about the order bar but it would probably be more interresting with it.

Keep going, I like that :)

Well... not much more I can think of right now :P

Though, as I like to edit sprites and stuff the more animated the battle system the better...
like different kind of animations for normal attacks and critical attacks... not only in giving the hit but also at receiving it

Edit: Maybe you could use different stands to choose for the characters... like defensive or agressive ones

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.