Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Dead Content [Full Game]A letter from Room 13

Dead content awaiting restoration.
I like it, short suspense filled games are always the best. But I have a few issues with it, please dont take these as offence:

For a small hotel, the rooms sure are freakin huge, combined with the walk speed, it was a bit frustrating.
From the start off, I wasn't sure which room was room 13, you need to make it stand out from the others, cobwebs, boxes piled up, a big '13' on the door, anything.
Anyway, Im goin to try and get all the different endings out of this game, and I really wanna know what that goramm switch behind the boxes does!

The name got me. Something about it, just made me look.
I rarely download and play games unless they're basically incredible, but something about this game makes me want to play it, I've downloaded it, let you know what I think soon, sounds very interesting.

You can complete it in about 15 minutes, but if you want to find out everything, like what the switch does, then it'll take alot longer than that.

Where is room 13 and what do i do next?

I have done the chimney got the siily rock the manger is in his room and i haven't hit the switch? I have cheacked in bought a bottle of wine and found that i hate walking !

PS When the taxi is not moving and the person is getting out you can make the taxi run away!!

Hammer is under the stairs, you have to do other things to get to it though, the coins you spend in the bar, just talk to Barty.

Thx, but i understood it 2sec's after, so i shouldn't have post that post. :)
And i really don't understand the end..
I've tryed both "Yes, and No".
But I really like this game. xD It gived me a real RMXP experience! :thumb:
Maybe i should try to come to that switch, but how? O_o :D

Aerif

OK, I give up, how does one access the switch. I've tried for the past hour and a half and it won't work for me >.<

The first person to find out gets a custom script scene from myself :D
That 'oughta raise the stakes.
(Here's a hint, start the game again)

mawk

Sponsor

My one qualm with this is the walk speed. A lot of times you don't quite know where to go, and the main character's leisurely pace doesn't do much to help you there. Also, the hotel's theme is a little too overtly scary. With the soundtrack being what it was, I expected the hotel to be full of dead people.

Aside from that, I really like this game. It seems heavily influenced by Hotel Dusk, but that game is really good, and besides, I've been yearning for it ever since it was stolen with my DS.

Keep up the good work, dude!

EDIT: Alright, I "beat" the game (I just realized that it WAS the ending) and now I can give you my two cents.

With the way things are set up, you cannot, I repeat, CANNOT, have things set so that the ending sucks unless you search the place on your own beyond what's necessary to make the plot move forward. The player moves at a crawl. Halfway through the game, I was already hoping it would end. I understand the slow move speed's supposed to add realism and a touch of suspense, but it goes past that point and takes it roughly three miles too far. As it is, it seems like nothing but a shameless attempt to lengthen gameplay, and I know you didn't intend it like that.

My rambling point is that exploring the hotel is incredibly dull and slow-paced, and needing to explore every nook and cranny in hopes of finding the secret ending just makes things into a long slog that you'll wish would just end.

The storytelling is another thing I'd like to bring up; but I'll do so in spoilers.
The revelation is way too abrupt. The moment you realize something IS goin on beyond the usual murder-in-a-hotel spiel, the story's practically over. A skilled storyteller would reveal the bit about ghosts a little more gradually, y'know? Like, have diary pages scattered around... And read them verbatim! It's better for suspense if you read the actual entry instead of the general gist. Here's an example:
"'Oct. 22/07
The investigation is over; whatever they've decided, they've decided to leave things here well enough alone. Maybe they were a little spooked. I just hope they don't try and take the hotel away from me. It's all -- '
The rest of the entry has been torn off."
Like tat. Just reveal one or two details at a time, it'll hopefully motivate people to keep playing.

And for goodness sakes, bump the move speed up half a notch! There's walking speed and then there's leisurely strolls down the boulevard; I doubt our hero's in the mood for the latter. XD

In addition, the choice box that comes up and prompts you to check an object is unnecessary and really annoying when you just want to look at something. If you're going to have choices, you're just blowing steam if those choices are just "do x" and "cancel." The choice box is only needed if you can do multiple things with a piece of terrain.

You've got about seven minutes of gameplay if you take out all the slow wandering; you should strive to make those the best seven minutes possible, you know?

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.