Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Doctor Who Discussion Thread

I think Christopher Eccleston was the best Doctor Who, hopefully the new actor will be as good (or even better).
Also, what's with those Daleks? They just won't stay down.

Well, after tonight's episode I'm glad to see that they are actually making an issue of the fact that nobody seems to remember the world-shattering events of the End of the Davis era; I was wondering why everyone in the village was surprised to see a giant floating eyeball considering that they'd recently been invaded by the Daleks and almost had Gallifrey dropped on them.

And that crooked smile/crack in the universe is beginning to get very sinister... don't you think?

Changed the title as per recommendation.

Matt Smith... hmmm... I think enough time has passed for me to form an opinion. He's closer to the 9th Doctor than the 10th, which is good. But there are times his youth can be a little annoying in my opinion and it's become very clear that this show is pandering to teens now, which is a good thing in that they can go darker than before. But a bad thing because the romance that was good before could just be turned into rabid hormones.

Eleventh Hour: Brilliant, fantastic! Molto-Bené! Made me realise I was missing The Doctor from my life. He is definately a mad-man with a box.

The Beast Below: Once again Moffat preys on our most basic of fears, from statues to creepy children he's great at this. This time it's walking talking angry clowns. Not his best work but it was okay.

Victory of the Daleks: I can't stress how much I hate this episode. Mark Gatiss is a fucking moron. The Daleks in the RTD era were menacing and metallic, these look like they've been painted for a San Francisco Gay Pride Parade. 'Nuff Said.

Time of the Angels: The Angels are back and just as good as ever. This is different from Blink because in Blink it was all very simple and we knew the most basic things about them. This time all is not as it seems and the addition of River Song makes this a packed episode.

Also this year's "Crack in the Wall" thing is annoying me. There is no subtlety involved in it. Remember how Bad Wolf was done, very subtle little throw ins here and there, the same with Torchwood, Mr. Saxon and Medusa Cascade?

This time it's... OOOH LOOK AT THE CRACK IN THE WALL! SEE IT'S THERE! CAN YOU SEE IT WE'RE GOING TO ZOOM IN TO SHOW IT TO YOU! COME ON NOW LOOK PLEASE! PLEASE!

Seriously it's horrible. These key-word, story arc things are supposed to be subtle little nods things people would have to catch in the corner of their eye/ear. Not something that's shoved in your face.

Yes, but the whole point, as stated by Prisoner Zero in the season opener, are that these cracks are following the Doctor, and the Doctor is responsible for the reason they exist.

I think it's great: they're very ominous.

And Victory of the Daleks is a great episode! I'm beginning to warm to the dayglow Daleks, despite the fact that they're an obvious marketing ploy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sXpInWFVVo

That Dalek thing is hilarious. But they look shit and look like toys, if they had had like a few of those white daleks, then yeah it'd be cool but not a rainbow of them. I could write a whole essay on how much I hate Victory of the Daleks, how bad it's written and how overly sentimental it is the kind of thing you wouldn't even see RTD touch with a barge pole.

Don't get me wrong I like the new series I do. But especially the crack in the wall, sure they're following the Doctor but there's no Mise-en-scene value about it. It's very much LOOK AT THE CRACK! CAN YOU SEE IT! HERE ALALALALALA! With Bad Wolf, it was far more subtle and mysterious. Hearing "Bad Wolf" occasionally in the background or seeing it spray painted on the Tardis. Why was the word following the Doctor and Rose? In the end it was a bullshit anti-climax but still... Who is this mysterious Mr. Saxon they've been talking about since Runaway Bride. Why can't we see him? e.t.c.

The crack in the wall has been done badly, I mean come on wouldn't you rather see like subtle nods to the cracks like if say in Victory of the Daleks, The Doctor, Amy and Churchill are walking down the corridor they pass and empty room and in that room you catch a quick glimpse of a crack in the wall and then it's gone. Right now it's very in your face about it like "THIS IS THE THING YOU SHOULD BE LOOKING FOR BUT WE'RE GOING TO SHOW IT TO YOU ANYWAY AHAHAHAAHALLCAPS!"

The trailer for "Flesh and Stone" suggests that the crack is going to become important to this plot!

I'm wondering if the Doctor accidentally lets the events of "Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead" to Amy, and she decides to tell River Song thereby creating a paradox... of some sort...

Apparently, according to the Doctor Who magazine and the internets, there are actually *four* things besides the Crack in the Universe that we should be looking out for.

I think one of them is going to be "Turning up late".

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.