Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

[XP] Version 2.8! CTB by Charlie Lee (v2.8) - aka a FFX like Battle System

Status
Not open for further replies.
Uhm, making bars with changing color is so boooooring ;)
Instead, I have just added a feature so that the name reflects the health, just like the hp-point text color.

Besides, the bars' graphics can be easily personalized so that they can match the windowskin colors and your game's look in general.

Bascha

The ability to change the color of the bars is a nice addition!

I had question earlier that you didn't answer, and if you don't mind, could you answer it ^^'?

I was wondering how the script "crops" the picture to show less of it in the turns area. It seems to me, and maybe im wrong, that the size of the cropped section is a little too big for the amount of space the actual box is. As a result, the turns pictures seem a little distorted. From what I can see, the picture is being scaled a little vertically so the cropped picture can fit inside the area you given it.

Can you clear this up a little for me please?

Thanks.

Oh, sorry man. I had written it in a post but then i had a network failure and the post got canceled, the second time i forgot it.

If you look into the Graphics/Pictures/Turns folder, you can see the pictures shown in the demo. They are cropped and stretched with photoshop and they are 194*60 (ratio 3.23). The script resizes them to 84*(TURN_HEIGHT-2), that with the default configuration is 84*21 (ratio 4, so the image is stretched horizontally, but there is no cropping).

If you don't want them streched use some pictures with an aspect ratio equal to 4, the script will only resize them mantaining the aspect ratio.

Bascha

Oh! Thank you so much!

I didn't realize the turns pictures were actually stored in a different area then the faces!

Okay that helps a bunch, thanks again!

Wow...your battle system is absolutely amazing!  I was hoping that you'd be able to help me with an adjustment I want for my game.  I want to replace the Guard/Defend option with a "Reaction" option, which brings up a window and lets you choose between reaction techniques that your character has--namely, Guard and Counter.  When Guard is selected, your character is constantly guarding and goes back to guarding after attacking, and Counter works just like the Reaction in your battle system. ^^; Maybe this is a lot to ask, but I would greatly appreciate it.  Thanks in advance.

I am dieing to see 2.5. looks way better than 2.4.
I don't like how you have like 10 options, can you have it where you turn them off in a future update? Like turn off Techniques or regenerate/etc.

EDIT: Below is a detailed suggestion post.

Okay, now this is ... Wow. Just great. Really. Wow. I mean, the first version was amazing, but this is like professional-grade right here.

My only concern that I can find now, is that, when attacking, the enemies/players should get closer to the enemies/players they are hitting. i.e. the monster gets about 10-20pix closer to the player he's hitting when he attacks.

I say this because smaller enemies almost look like they're trying to hit the players in front when attacking someone in the back row.

Also, is there a set placement of player characters? Just, some numerical value I can change somewhere if need be?

Those are negligible, though. This is just fantastic <3.

That would be related to my Animated Battlers system he is using.  I haven't started working on battler-vs-battler pixel offsets as yet.  Been taking a 'Minkoff' break.

@DurVVulfman Why did you lock all of your threads? Was it because you quit, or took a break?

@Charlie Lee I have some more suggestions :)

Your about at the point where your script is going to replace RTAB for me, but
there is still a little things I don't like about it, things that bug me :)
This is one of the best Battle systems out though I got to say.

Some ideas that would make this the best.
-Ability to Customize every aspect of this system down to layout of status, and where everything is.
-Real Time Active Battle option, ability to have that in the system, and the ability to turn it off for those who don't like that.
-Compatible with Standard Development Kit/Method and Class Library fully if not already.
-Gradient Bars, able to swap them out with your own scripts if you can't already.
-Add-Ons to the Time Base of the Real Time Active Battler option if you add.
> Casting/Skill Time Counter - Time between spells before you cast or use them.
- Design option to swap around Attack/Defend/Skill/Technique/Dark Arts/ All of them if you wish.
Not sure what exactly there called, but you get my point.
> Option to remove them, and add your own. <- Rename/Change modes etc.

These are just some ideas I had, this problay was a waste of time, but I am trying to give
you some ideas to enhance this more, good luck Charlie.

@Sailerius:
perhaps you can do it with the database and version 2.5 (but wait until the final release is out). Make a category "CMD Guard/Reaction", and put the two skills "Guard" and "Reaction" into it. Make "Guard" cast a def +50% state and "Reaction" cast my reaction state. Finally make so that one state removes the other one, and you should have what you were looking for, almost.
Since I don't have time for taking requests and I have quite a lot of work to do on this system, try opening a script request thread in the appropriate section if you are unsatisfied with this solution i gave.

@Helladen1:
the following are fixed commands: "Attack" "Item" "Defend" "Escape" "Skip", while the "skill" command is replaced with an array of commands based on the categories you have defined. If you use only one category named "CMD Skill", you'll only have a "Skill" command .

@Venetia:
Animated Battlers has a formation option, I used it, look in the event in the top left corner in the demo.

@Helladen2:
The only thing I think is feasible is the skill delay, based on turns instead of time; the others are either small edits (windows' position, commands order...) that a semi-beginner scripter could do, or massive changes (SDK, Active time...) that would transform this system into another thing, completely...
However thank you for the suggestions, I always welcome them, but of course I have to evaluate the effort needed and if they are suitable with the main logic of this BS.

@iqbal_0k
Thanks! 

Important: I changed the keyword COMMAND into CMD, because of lack of space in that silly database window which totally hides the category name if I use COMMAND...

perhaps you can do it with the database and version 2.5 (but wait until the final release is out). Make a category "CMD Guard/Reaction", and put the two skills "Guard" and "Reaction" into it. Make "Guard" cast a def +50% state and "Reaction" cast my reaction state. Finally make so that one state removes the other one, and you should have what you were looking for, almost.
That should work wonderfully. :) Thank you.

Charlie looks nice I may use this once it gets a few more features, keep up the good work.
Tho I hate the pics in the side and the bars. Kind of bugs me, but I do like the bars at the bottom by the battle-status with the faces next to them. Looks unique, and awesome at the same time.

EDIT: When will 2.5. be out anyway?
The new screen looks way awesome, I am dieing to see the demo.

Absolutely Amazing in deed!

I was just wondering... Any chance you can take out the Turn Window script and edit it so that it can be used for the Default Battle System?

@Helladen:
the pics and bars on the side represent the turns, a CTB without an indication of the turns doesn't make much sense...

@jens009:
I'm afraid, no. Again, The turn window has a reason to exist only in a CTB. If you mean the Deafult BS from the appearence point of view it's no again, this system is meant to work with Animated Battlers. Perhaps there wouldn't be need for many changes to make it work without Animated Battlers, but it isn't worth the pain.

Oh, I am just to used to Real Time Active Battler :P
Sorry for mentioning that, and I am still trying to think of some great ideas for your
CBS, though I can't think of anything. ><

I have found of one problem if you put Multi-Slot script in by Guillaume777.
The battle system crashes, though that is one thing that I want to suggest.
Is to make it Compatible with Multi-Slot, unless you wish to make your own multi-slot
script later on. Would be nice to do 2 hits and then have to 2 damages come flying out.

EDIT: I just spotted the Wp demo of 2.5. I'll check it out and give edit feedback.
There seems to be no errors looks nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.