Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

[XP] Version 2.8! CTB by Charlie Lee (v2.8) - aka a FFX like Battle System

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important: I accidentally removed a line in version 2.3 that is necessary for the two skills Altruismo and Trincea to work.
If you encounter this problem you have the older version, please change this method:
Code:
  def end_regular_turn
    #print("end regular turn")
    $battle_time = @active_battler.next_action_time
    @active_battler.action_executed($battle_time)
    @turn_window.refresh(@battlers_queue)
    @active_battler.current_action.forcing=false
    @active_battler = nil
  end
into
Code:
  def end_regular_turn
    #print("end regular turn")
    $battle_time = @active_battler.next_action_time
    @active_battler.action_executed($battle_time)
    @turn_window.refresh(@battlers_queue)
    @active_battler.current_action.forcing=false
    @act_bat=@active_battler
    @active_battler = nil
  end

or download the corrected version 2.3. The link in the first post has been updated.

Updated with version 2.4.
New features:
  • An option to show pictures instead of text in the turns window.
  • Auto-Phoenix state.
  • A configuration option so that auto-phoenix can be used only on chars killed during the last turn.
  • The turns update only if a change really occurs and not at every change of the selection in the actor command window.

Besides, I have worked a lot on the code trying to speed up things and make it more clean and readable. Please report any bug that could be arisen due to this large revision.

redxa3

sorry for asking this but I'm having trouble, I/m still new at this so please understand.

Whenever I engage in a fight I get Unable to find Graphics/Pictures/turns. I changed the pictures in the original file and replaced them to match that of my characters. What should I do?

redxa3":1jl573w7 said:
sorry for asking this but I'm having trouble, I/m still new at this so please understand.

Whenever I engage in a fight I get Unable to find Graphics/Pictures/turns. I changed the pictures in the original file and replaced them to match that of my characters. What should I do?

The only requirements are that they have to be in the Graphics/Pictures/turns subfolder and they have to be named exactly as the characters.

EDIT: I'm going to update the instructions.

redxa3

thanks I'll try it again this time.

Found the problem, an error in the names

Can I ask another question? How do I change my menu from the default one to the one in the demo? My status screen is also the same, how do I change it?

Everything is great!
But is there anyway to use skills that have animations of the character doing a special WITHOUT having the battler animation for the character (i.e. Cloud's stance animation) appear at the same time as the special (i.e. Cloud's Omnislash)?

Charlie Lee":38yhl7he said:
So you're talking about battle animation that have the character in it, thus there are two characters on the screen at the same time???
yes! how do i make it so that it only shows the char's battle of animation and then the char's stance animation reappears after the special is over?

Hi all. For those who are interested in this project I'm posting a WIP of version 2.5
CTB_by_Charlie_Lee_v2.5_WIP.rar
I'm working on Summons, better support for forced battle actions, full support for up to 8 battlers (still thinking about the best way to show the stats of 8 chars... ) and some stuff about individual battle commands.
See you in 2008 for the full release.

Charlie, you're killin' me with these updates! I love 'em, but I hate making 'em compatible with Moghunter menus ._.

Moghunter's menu link:
http://www.rmxp.org/forums/index.php?topic=18933.0

I just downloaded this WIP and playtested it. Gotta say, it's the best ever.

I wonder, however, is there any way (probably not; seems like it'd be too much work, but worth an ask anyhow) to separate out the skill menu changes completely? Because I already have my menus set up completely and this change to them messes it up.

What I mean is, a "lite" version, which doesn't have any changes to the main menu, at all? I figured it out for version 2.2, but the code setup seems to have changed quite a bit in 2.4 and 2.5, and now I'm not sure exactly what to comment out/change.

What I had to do in 2.2 was force the Window_Skill and Window_Selectable_Plus to read instead from Window_Skill2 and Window_Selectable_Plus2 (but you can name it whatever) only when in battle, and otherwise never draw from the original Window_Skill at all.

I'm sure this is confusing. I have a terrible time describing code.

Anyway, I'd be really appreciative, because I really want to use this in my game, but I currently cannot use anything but 2.2.

:) I knew I would have heard from you very soon...
I'm already considering the idea of making the changes in the main menu kinda "optional".

However in the WIP code, for example, one could:
1) change my "class Window_Skill" definition to "class Window_Skill_Charlie" (no need to change Window_Selectable_Plus).
2) change all the occurrences of "Window_Skill", in my scripts only, in "Window_Skill_Charlie" (I have counted only one of it in CTB by Charlie - Scene_Battle).
3) comment the Scene_Skill code in my Windows Skill Technique Item.

I have just tried this and it seems to work...

Incredible how somebody can anticipate things... I too use the Moghunter CMS and I'm thinking of using another method... For example, since I can't implement the bestiary in the menu, I used an item(a book) which has as common event the 'call script' $scene = Scene_MonsterBook.new. Is it possible to do the same with the Scene_Status, so that I can see in a completely separate window the 'Charlie Lee's (TM) Window Status' with the Tech Learning window? And the techs as well?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.