Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

[XP] Version 2.8! CTB by Charlie Lee (v2.8) - aka a FFX like Battle System

Status
Not open for further replies.
b0ioncrack;329351 said:
O ok. I have another question, you think its possible to edit my script so I can have a battle menu dislplay like that?

I don't know what is your script.
And what do you mean with battle menu display? Are you referring to my BS? Please clarify.

hmmm I was wondering since Wolf is no longer a member here. I'm wondering if you can help me out with the sprite sheets.

I go into battle. The layout and everything looks fine except the sprites, it looks like this:
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c78/Kitsujio/PROBLEMO.png[/IMG]

The sprites that look fine are yours, I had to test it out. I tested my sprite sheets in your demo and they worked fine but when I try it on mine, nothing :-/.

I really hope you can help me.

O by battle menu display I mean the window of the charactes name hp, sp etc. I just dont like the default one. When I mean editing script I meant changing the display of the battle menu.

Kitsuji - I think I can answer that question. From what I see, I think you didnt align your sprite sheet correctly. Then after you align them, you still have to configurate them if they don't meet the default settings 4x11. So if your sprite have 9 poses, you would have to configurate it in the config section.

b0ioncrack - ah they are 4x11 thats where I'm kinda lost. Is there a size requirement Im missing somewhere in the script? cause apparently the sprite sheet worked on Charlies demo when I tested out the sheets

ok 4x11 means there are 4 frames in animation, and 11 poses. How many poses does your sheet have? If the sheet worked in his demo, then you should look at his configuration script and see the changes.

xkrimx

Ok, how would I go about setting it up so that I can use a battler with only 7 poses? I've read the .pdf for Minkoff's system but couldn't figure out how.

b0ioncrack;329524 said:
ok 4x11 means there are 4 frames in animation, and 11 poses. How many poses does your sheet have? If the sheet worked in his demo, then you should look at his configuration script and see the changes.

Thats what my sheets were. 4x11. I even copied over the configurations to my script to see if it would work on mine but turns out it didn't. I also tried my other sheets which were constructed for each frame size/measurement and none worked either. Is it the spacing between the sprites? cause the sheet I used was 4x11 but each block was 100x100 then again it worked when I uploaded it into his demo :-/

Mea

Okay, this may be my fault...

I DLed the demo, and it works fine. I tried to put it into my own game which used to have a different BS. I THINK I stripped out all the old scripts before I added this one. However, when I test combat there's a problem. Whenever it's time for one of the PCs to attack I get this error
Code:
Script 'CTB by Charlie - Windows' line 227 ArgumentError occured
wrong number of arguments(4 for 3)

Any idea what's causing that? I can give you a link to my project if you need to look a my script database.

@mea
looks like there's some draw_actor_face method's redefinition that expects 3 arguments while mine expects 4 with the last one defaulted to 0. Look for "def draw_actor_face" with CTRL+Shift+F and tell me if there's one or more matches.

Mea

Two instaces.  One is in the "Draw Face etc" script from yours (line 51) and another one in Raziel's Battlereport script.  I removed the latter and it works fine now so that's gotta be the conflict.

I'd still like to use it if possible though.  I'm PMing you a copy of the code since Spoilers aren't working just yet.

I think you can solve this by yourself. Just rename my method as "def charlie_draw_actor_face ..." and change the call accordingly wherever it is used inside my scripts. Not in Raziel's of course! You should be able to use both scripts this way.

i mean i copied you script in my game data folder but i wont work so you are saying that i have to manually put this in my script cause i dont know im a noob.pls dont be mad

kerfvalerio":2b56467x said:
i mean i copied you script in my game data folder but i wont work so you are saying that i have to manually put this in my script cause i dont know im a noob.pls dont be mad

you have to put the scripts in "Script Editor" in RMXP. its under tools. put the scripts on top of "Main" and you'll be fine.

Still having problems with sprite sheets, ugh D-:

Updated with version 2.3.

Two new features: support for forced battle actions (Thanks to Sh4k4 for pointing out that they didn't work) and a new state, namely Priority, that gives the char the first turn in battle.
A couple of bugs fixed and coding improvement.
A revised configuration part that lets you identify elements and states used by this system by name instead of by id.

EDIT: The support for forced battle actions is not thoroughly tested, so, you know... report errors... and blablabla

Hey Charlie, thanks for the update.

However could you perhaps delineate what was updated exactly? I mean, where the updates were in the code. Because you see I already implemented this script and had to change a few things to make it compatible with other things so a total copy/paste isn't really an option.

You can PM it if you'd prefer. If you could do that I'd appreciate it! And I'd like to mention again how much I like this battle system! :'3

Mea

Got a new problem (BTW thank you for showing me how to fix the old one).

I'm using a Blitz Skill script to simulate spellcasting (once you activate the skill, you have to enter a series of buttons for it to work).

Thing is while testing the battle script, I started getting this error:

Code:
Script' * Blitz Skills' line 208:NoMethodError occurred
undefined method 'tact_flag=' fornil:NilClass

None of the characters in the battle test use or even have a skill that requires the blitz input.  I'm not sure why it's suddenly started cropping up - often it will do it without warning, like in between actions.     

Here's the script
Code:
#==============================================================================
# â–  Tactical Skills Ver.1.4.0          by Claimh
#------------------------------------------------------------------------------
# Skill is made to move with command input.
# When it fails in command input, power decrease (& animation change)

module TacticalSkill
# â–¡ Customizing START
  # Keys
  A = Input::A            # Keyboard:Z
  B = Input::B            # Keyboard:X
  C = Input::C            # Keyboard:C
  X = Input::X            # Keyboard:A
  Y = Input::Y            # Keyboard:S
  Z = Input::Z            # Keyboard:D
  L = Input::L            # Keyboard:Q
  R = Input::R            # Keyboard:W
  UP = Input::UP
  DOWN = Input::DOWN
  LEFT = Input::LEFT
  RIGHT = Input::RIGHT

# Time to input a key
  KEY_SEC = 1.0

# Graphics/Windowskins
  T_BAR_NAME = "bar"

# キータイプを切り替ã

@mea
The problem is that i clear @active_battler in phase 4 step 2 under certain conditions. And this script uses @active_battler just after that.

Try this version of your script:
# â–  Tactical Skills Ver.1.4.0          by Claimh
#------------------------------------------------------------------------------
# Skill is made to move with command input.
# When it fails in command input, power decrease (& animation change)

module TacticalSkill
# â–¡ Customizing START
  # Keys
  A = Input::A            # Keyboard:Z
  B = Input::B            # Keyboard:X
  C = Input::C            # Keyboard:C
  X = Input::X            # Keyboard:A
  Y = Input::Y            # Keyboard:S
  Z = Input::Z            # Keyboard:D
  L = Input::L            # Keyboard:Q
  R = Input::R            # Keyboard:W
  UP = Input::UP
  DOWN = Input::DOWN
  LEFT = Input::LEFT
  RIGHT = Input::RIGHT

# Time to input a key
  KEY_SEC = 1.0

# Graphics/Windowskins
  T_BAR_NAME = "bar"

# キータイプを切り替ã

Mea

That did it, thank you so much Charlie.  :)

One more question, and this should be an easy one.. where are the fonts defined? Your script seems to be overwriting my default font so I want to fix it.

EDIT: Nevermind, I think I found it.

In version 2.3 you'll find this line
Code:
Font.default_name=["Miriam", "MS Gothic", "Arial"]
in Mixed Settings, the first found on your PC is used. But there are other places where i change it...

You should find them all by ctrl+shift+f searching "font.name". Note that a line like this:
Code:
self.contents.font.name = "Times New Roman"
will set that specific font, and you can change it to another one or to the default one by using
Code:
self.contents.font.name = Font.default_name

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.