Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

What are you working on? (Game Making Thread)

Unless something changes, I'm thinking I'll have a lot of free time next week.
I plan to wrap up some dev projects or work on my backlog of JRPGs. I barely played anything last year.

I've decided to make a public plugin for RMMZ's battle animations, to utilize Effekseer's Dynamic Inputs. I made a thing last year, but it was an edit to the core scripts. I was hoping to influence the developers to make it a standard part of the editor but it's never going to happen. Probably because there's not a lot of people creating effekseer animations in the first place to really understand what it does.

I've got some crude custom parameters in place. Additionally, I realized besides dynamic inputs I could include other settings. Like the animation's z-depth to play under/behind a target sprite, like a proper magic circle.

Remi_Chan

Chaos Goddess

Epic Cinematic trailer inbound!
I decided it was a good time to celebrate the cinematic remasters and completion of Disk 2's cinematics as well~!

We celebrated π day with a 4 hour livestream the other day. It was the Crazy Chimp Collective's 9 year anniversary. DerVVulfman and I guest starred.
I wasn't very talkative. It was all work, Remi fixed up writing errors outlined by DerVVulfman and then made a few more events.

I made a pizza. I ate the pizza. It was pepperoni.

Remi_Chan

Chaos Goddess

Late to the party due to recent schedule intensity, but here's the video I produced for it!
Of the dev I did yesterday, some of the most fun was had after the streme had ended!
FN5mbszaUAECFKO

unknown.png

A scene some of my more thorough demographic will appreciate.

Galaxion memory banks are wack.

I spent the week offering support to other people. I mean, that's all I do. Tut lately I've been helping just Remichan so it's different.
I made a frig. Someone wanted one animated but theirs was part of a DLC and the Rmweb mods were like "blah blah blah rules and regulations".
and I'm like "Oh no. Someone will have to draw a new grey box."
ctm8bXt.png

Remi_Chan

Chaos Goddess

Okay, that's a really dope fridge.

As for me, beyond working on a new youtube intro today...
Which yeah- I haven't finished yet. I've also finally gotten around to doing some updates on the title screen regarding visibility and also some new background images.
Beyond all this, I've also begun on some more maps. The Drifting Archipelagos of Zirkov are now basically done.
FOT8k9KVsAI65aX
FOT8s4BVkAAI45V

FOT8wIDUcAER_kA
FOT8y1zVgAEzNVK

Might have to add some windows on the houses...

Last edited:
Ready to release Gluten Free plugins. And add nutrition facts to my resources.

But seriously. I can't get anything done. My usual April woes started early. Drop a cat off. Drop a car off. Nope. Reschedule. Reschedule.
I agreed to help my Dad with something this weekend. But I half expect he'll show up tonight at the last minute and turn it into a 4 day weekend and I'll be stuck in a truck for half of it.

My idea is that people get information to shape their values partly through the media they consume, including video games, so maybe I can use games to help people become better by telling them about some ideas. So if we talk about the game that I want to create, it had to be a game that I thought would be fun to play. Probably something in the style of Runescape. I often read manuals on this game, namely about the presence of magic in the game. So it seems to me that such a cool game and such an interface can rarely be found anywhere. If you are interested in this game's chips, you can click here and compare the level of magic with other games.

Last edited:
I feel like I fell off the internet for a while there. My mind was somewhere else. Game Dev feels like a distant dream.
I think I'll be back into the swing of things after this weekend.

It'd be nice to sit down and draw for a few hours again. I can't remember the last time I did that.

Remi_Chan

Chaos Goddess

Oh boy have I a lot to share!

Been a while, have been busy with gamedev, then life stuff, then gamedev again.

So, to start off strong... we have some new videos showcasing various optional events.

The Second Lesson
This is the build up to the video i showed a page ago featuring Tiramisa and Xaramitsi.

Then these are two of the Spooky Schema events, including the finale.

Black Despondence
This is a flashback to a scene from Menagerie, only now it looks and reads quite different.

Of Gods and Monstrosities
This fight references an old encounter early into the second optional content tier of Menagerie where you would fight a possessed Tac and her possessor.

It was also one of the biggest eventing forays I've done in regards to the crowd and peacekeepers moving around.

Outside of Crikey's Cavalier, all of the maps for Disks 0-2 are now done. Planetary Exploration is juicy as hell now. I've also been filling these worlds with life and junk.
TfzeZbS.png
fI2XVgB.png

EwI5Ays.png
oHWRyfF.png

i4jCk9z.png
hCoJAdo.png

OWAcsf8.png
skan0QZ.png

I mean I'll have to do battle arenas but those are easy and only worth making once I' up to making the actual encounter anyway! Otherwise all of the maps are done. The eight screenshots here are but a taste of the huge amount of work it all was!

Drove through a dust storm. Damaging wind. Power poles down everywhere. I...oh. The power came back on while i was typing this. I might actually get to use my laptop this weekend.

Remi_Chan

Chaos Goddess

Crazy! If only repairmen in the Philippines were so dutiful...

So! I got a bunch more optional content done. Been working on Rolly and Lyza's finale. I also finished Kara's finale.

Eldritch Sinstorm
Dialogue could do with some pruning.

Awakening the Snorebeast
I have no video footage of Lyza's optional event yet.

Know that most of these will be going through a large re-write to clip them down, for the now I'm just going ham. i see a LOT of dialogue that could easily be trimmed in the interactions with Ashe in sinstorm.

Eldritch Sinstorm
Dialogue could do with some pruning.

Yay, we finally get to see Kara's Bro t h e r . . . and he is dead. Honestly I half expected as much.
*adding Kiet to Cat family tree*

I don't think the scene needs pruning so much as some kind of action to break it up. Just something simple.
Maybe Kara's sword got flug to the edge of the screen. So while Ashe is dispensing exposition, the girls could be spread out looking for it. Or even have a infinite scrolling map, like the old flintstones cartoons, and talk while they walk nowhere in particular. Or even just erasing the background completely. I think that's a trick ps1 rpgs used a few times. Just that change of scenery, or even a quick fade to black, helps it not feel like it's dragging on. This is probably closer to 4-5 scenes smooshed into 1 continuous shot.

I thought it would be neat if I could import some 3D models of cars into Effekseer and have a convenient solution to Rpg Maker's lack of cars.
Does it work? In theory, yes. But not without a decent amount of work. There are plenty of free models that Effekseer can utilize as .FBX but Effekseer just loads the shape, not any color or texture. You'd have to load an image as a separate png texture.
I think displaying traffic as a particle animation would be neat, but an additional plug-in would be needed to pause/resume the animation while the menu is open or in a battle screen.
There's also a matter of Z height/depth, so particles animate play over floor tiles, but under street lamps, behind trees ect...
It's been a while since I looked at it. I know with my Dynamic Input Plugin, I can change the z value of an animation to be under the player at the very least.

Now that I think about it. A "Crowd" animation would look pretty neat. With NPCs as particles, they could gravitate away from the player's location and never collide. I'm a genius.

Anyways. 3D models for vehicles would be ideal. It just looks bad for a bus with only 4dir frames to make a 90degree turn. You know?

Speaking of directional frames. I attempted to draw a car myself. I mean, I've drawn cars before. But this time I wasn't using any references. The front view came out nice. But I didn't have a clue how to picture it rotated in space. So drawing it again from the side came out weird.
yBxRhdO.png

Feels like i did a lot of script support this week.
Ill be limited to spotty mobile networks this weekend. So im going to focus on Fantasia Sprites. Theres so many to do. I can't do it all at once. I sent a few more earlier this week. Ive got a handful more thats like half completed.

I hate doing stepping frames. For clothes. Just swinging arms. I like doing hair. I like doing single frames. Even the kitsune tails was a different technique that was fun to experiment with. But swinging arms and legs is just tedious soul sucking work.
I think i tend to think of it as if i were making generator parts. But i don't need to make it universal. Id probably work faster if i didn't.

Remi_Chan

Chaos Goddess

Feels like i did a lot of script support this week.
Ill be limited to spotty mobile networks this weekend. So im going to focus on Fantasia Sprites. Theres so many to do. I can't do it all at once. I sent a few more earlier this week. Ive got a handful more thats like half completed.

I hate doing stepping frames. For clothes. Just swinging arms. I like doing hair. I like doing single frames. Even the kitsune tails was a different technique that was fun to experiment with. But swinging arms and legs is just tedious soul sucking work.
I think i tend to think of it as if i were making generator parts. But i don't need to make it universal. Id probably work faster if i didn't.
Don't feel too pressured. Xiie should be back within the month if all goes well~! Just focus on Lily, (the remaining Kitsune) The Wizard and Ashe: the Enma. If you get all that done before Xiie gets back, give the enma a /siptea animation. Can be as many frames as you need.

I've not much to report on game progress. What little I have done isn't enough to justify a video, I've been wasting time playing my two favorite games and getting distracted by a pecuilar rpgmaker server, but I recently left it so progress should return in due course!

I have been working on something but it isn't ready for show just yet!

Remi_Chan

Chaos Goddess

That thing I was working on is now ready for show.
Fantasia Scene 18: Unleash the Inferno!
Remastered to have more length, impact and gravitas.

Also! new youtube intro! The old one had some issues with tone.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.