Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

[VX] Game Patcher

Status
Not open for further replies.

dastmo

Sorry for the stupid question that you'll read, but I'm a total beginner.
1. How exactly am I suppoused to "Call Script: $scene = Scene_PatchMaker.new"?!
2. So this will make a patch file for the gamers to download, right???

EDIT: Excuse my bad english too... I'm bulgarian...

dastmo":279a7ahw said:

It's the Script event command, in the last page.
You just need to put the code in it.

dastmo":279a7ahw said:
2. So this will make a patch file for the gamers to download, right???
Exactly. It will create a .rvdata file and the script will recognize it if it's a legal authorized patch file.

dastmo

Dargor":23dep4rc said:
dastmo":23dep4rc said:

It's the Script event command, in the last page.
You just need to put the code in it.
I don't find such a script. I found Window_Command and Game_Event... where should this script be?!

EDIT: Maybe I should stick to writing storylines for other people. :lol:

You're not looking at the right place.
Create a new event, and add an event command. Then go into the last page of event commands and select 'Script'. A text window will open. Now you only need to copy/paste
Code:
$scene = Scene_PatchMaker.new

dastmo

Dargor":2hz28sjw said:
You're not looking at the right place.
Create a new event, and add an event command. Then go into the last page of event commands and select 'Script'. A text window will open. Now you only need to copy/paste
Code:
$scene = Scene_PatchMaker.new
That's more like it... it works perfectly now. Thanks a lot!!! Now I must only wait for the sound patching system... let's hope it will be done soon. :)

dastmo":269cfd7f said:
Now I must only wait for the sound patching system... let's hope it will be done soon. :)

I have a core for that ready, however I won't be able to add it to the patcher script for two months or so (Vacation + blown video card + Old SocketA motherboard)

dastmo

Too bad... well, I'm still on the developing of the game, so I can wait a little.

Another problem appeared. I do what you said. It opnes the patch maker menu and I change the thing I need to "true" and hit finish. But when I open the folder, there is nothing there... why is that???
I think I made something wrong while putting the other two codes in their places. I put them as two different Materials in the script editor... was that right or as one of my favourite cartoon character says:
Ain't that cute... BUT IT'S WRONG!!!

dastmo

Oh, yeah!!! After hours of headbanging in the wall above the laptop I finally understood how the patch maker works!!! Thanks a lot!!! :thumb:

Hey i am a Total noob when it comes to scripts but i ALWAYS forget something in my demos can u please explain every little detail plz=)

I can remember a discussion I had with... I dunno her name, but one of the better known people in IRC... about what the whole charging-people-for-stuff-idea will change rmxp.org into... and what can I say, first page of this thread proves me right.

Either way, it's a very useful script, yet you always have to keep the dark side in mind, and like Me(tm) said, it looks like a huge hole in your game's natural firewall... if you'd find like a superior way to prevent people from changing the script (for example, make the patcher check for the character count, which value-it-should-be is included somewhere in the password), I'd definately approve of this, though, since it's one of those things that every game can benefit from no-matter what... just the kind of script I like.

BlueScope":w0tjyabo said:
Either way, it's a very useful script, yet you always have to keep the dark side in mind, and like Me(tm) said, it looks like a huge hole in your game's natural firewall... if you'd find like a superior way to prevent people from changing the script (for example, make the patcher check for the character count, which value-it-should-be is included somewhere in the password), I'd definately approve of this, though, since it's one of those things that every game can benefit from no-matter what... just the kind of script I like.

I did update my security for the latest version.  I used a cryptographic hash based on a non-constant value, the password constant, and the order of the salt constant.  If the file is changed, this value gets altered and the hash becomes invalid.  I could factor in the character count/crc into the hash, though.

Nice script man!
but why doesn't it work to patch scripts?
I guess I could fix it myself but I'm too lazy right now to look through your code  :tongue:

yion

Aurimux_Ra":3c3rs1v6 said:
hmm.. nice script, but i get error...

Code:
Script 'Patcher' line 145: ArgumentError ocurred.
marshal data too short

i was just about to post that!
i only get it after a test battle btw. =O

or when i End the Game.
(only happens when i use my patch in the folder)

Considering the member who made this script has been banned, I might be better if you made a support topic in RGSS/RGSS2 Support to get attention from other scriptors easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.