Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

The last film you saw

That hoverboard doesn't count because I can't steal one from a passing child to help me escape the great great great grandchild of an old western outlaw.

Saw Big Hiro 6 over the weekend. The first half was great but I felt it lost what made it great in the second half. The film wandered into a cliché land of superheroes and shallow antagonists that was genuinely disappointing after all of the setup. And the news reporter at the end claiming that the mystery heroes averted disaster? After the antagonist basically accomplished nearly all of his goals with huge amounts of destruction? It's not like that building was put back together after it all went down. Are billions of dollars of collateral damage really not any kind of disaster? At least the building probably wasn't occupied so it isn't the classic case of "human death doesn't mean anything if we never saw their faces".

Rented Gravity and Appleseed: Alpha

Just watched Gravity. I was really into it; putting myself into her place. I had a lot of fantasies, as a kid, about getting stuck in space ever since I watched the movie Space Camp - and I barely remember that.

I know I watched another Appleseed movie. But I can't remember anything about it. I don't know anything about the manga either.
Edit: Ok, Appleseed was good too. I was mesmerized by Two-Horn's moving face parts. But I was confused about how this movie fits in with the other movie I saw. 'Alpha' sounds like a prequel. I could look it up on wiki but I don't really care.

Spoo

Sponsor

Netflix told me to watch Battle Royale since I liked Django Unchained or something. Despite my watching a lot of anime, I'm not super familiar with Japanese films, so it was kind of a novelty to me.

The movie itself was... Meh. It seemed to me a bunch of senseless violence and teenagers going bonkers way too fast. I'm sure there was some kind of symbolism I missed in there, especially in the final scenes, but I'm not sure I care enough to find out.

Couple of movies I'd like to talk about.

Tucker and Dale vs. Evil: Pretty funny altogether. I certainly appreciate making fun of "teenagers in the woods" type horror movies although I'm not really familiar with them. Would recommend even though I generally don't like "shaggy dog" stories.

Whisper of the Heart: Pretty unusual for a Miyazaki film in that it wasn't very engaging. But something I really should have seen when I was middle school age. This one gets a nod for the characters and the life lessons but the most fantastic it gets is a surprisingly intelligent vagrant cat. So don't go into it without a good attention span.

Princess Amy":2t0x1hye said:
Miss Congeniality was 15 years ago...

xkcd has a running gag where he reminds you of how old you are by pointing out how old certain pop-culture icons are.

https://xkcd.com/1624/

There's a new guy in the office, recent college grad, who was born after the Gulf War ended. I feel old every time I talk to him. Hard to believe that 1993's babies are all grown up now.

In the UK, college is what I would call high school, right? I lived in India for a while, and that's what they called it. So when I say "college graduate" I mean that he graduated from university.

...As for the last movie I watched, it was the new Star Wars. I liked it. I liked it a hell of a lot more than those blasphemous prequels. I'm kind of pleased that George Lucas hated it.

Having an animated movie night.

Just watched The Pagemaster on a whim.
Now I'm watching Sinbad legend of the seven seas
God, I love that sinister intro music and Eris' wispy animation.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jfub07Q2VuU

Dunno what I'm going to watch next.

I watched Pan's Labyrinth a couple nights ago.
Had less magic and physical labyrinth and more saddness and mental labyrinth than I was expecting. I loved it though. Pan's design is amazing.

Last night I also rewatched Kill Bill Vol 1. It's been a couple of years since I first saw it, so it was good to refresh the mind. I'm going to watch Kill Bill Vol 2 later today too. I think it's a great film.

X-men Apocalypse.
You definitely need to watch the other x-men movies to appreciate it. After the previous movie there were some changes to the timeline. Which explains a young Nightcrawler. But there were parallels to the original timeline, maybe just to show so things were on a similar course.

Hybrida

☆ Biggest Ego ☆

I finally saw The Force Awakens. I enjoyed it. One particular scene ironically horrified me.
Starkiller base blew up 5 planets instantly as if it were just another day in Star Wars.

The death toll had to be massive. Although that would be stepping on ants in my own story, I didn't expect to see something that horrifying in Star Wars. A total of 6 planets blew up in that movie. Holy shit!

Doctor Strange. The reality bending effects were great. Maybe even distracting? I feel like I was missing the action because I was staring at the kaleidoscope buildings and brick patterns.

I can't imagine anyone but Cumberbatch playing the role. He was perfect for it.
It's not an emotional movie, but still satisfying. I can't recall a sound track - probably because they used ethnic sounds, If that's the right name for it.
It's like 3 hrs later and I've still got "Hooked on a feeling" stuck in my head from the Guardians of the Galaxy 2 trailer.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.