Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.
The Blacksmith's Apprentice

The Blacksmith's Apprentice - Version 1.5 released

A new version has been posted, with all the aforementioned issues fixed. Thanks to Remoba and others for finding the new bugs.

Okay. It was fun finding the bugs...
But there still one annoying thing. The quest with the dog by the city that start with D (I always forget the name).
After I met the dog he started following me as usuall. Sometimes I had to go back a few times but that's no problem. The problem is that there was a border he just couldn't cross. I tried and tried and didn't succeed. So I gave up on the quest and just went into the city. Although the dog was miles away he was still with me in the city. I don't know what's wrong but maybe you should change it to the way you did with Billy in the ancient ruins.
And can you put more save slots? I am the type of people that saves every important event and about every minute.
-Remoba

Well, I don't know if this has been brought to your notice before, but there's a minor bug at the dwarven mines. Each time you speak to the king after giving that tea to the sick dwarfs you get 100 exp until you ask about the other curses.

Really enjoying the game, btw :thumb:

Translucense":2gatksuh said:
Well, I don't know if this has been brought to your notice before, but there's a minor bug at the dwarven mines. Each time you speak to the king after giving that tea to the sick dwarfs you get 100 exp until you ask about the other curses.

Really enjoying the game, btw :thumb:

Thanks for the tip. I'll have that fixed when the next version comes out.

Hi, I just finished the demo. There's just one word to describe this game... AWESOME!! Can't wait for the next book...I'm dying to know what happens next... Keep up the good work! Cheers! :biggrin:

R.J.

Either the download for your audio file has gone corrupt, or my WinRAR is screwing it up. Shame, I was looking forward to trying this out.

Translucense":y3oqspy3 said:
Hi, I just finished the demo. There's just one word to describe this game... AWESOME!! Can't wait for the next book...I'm dying to know what happens next... Keep up the good work! Cheers! :biggrin:

Thanks, glad you liked it! Production is going well on the second book. I might put out some teaser screen-shots soon.

R.J.":y3oqspy3 said:
Either the download for your audio file has gone corrupt, or my WinRAR is screwing it up. Shame, I was looking forward to trying this out.

I don't think there's anything wrong with the download, I've tested it myself. One thing you could try is to decompress the folder withOUT using WinRAR. Just right-click on the file, select "Open with", and choose "Compressed (zipped) folders". That will decompress it using the built-in Windows utility. Hopefully that works, if it doesn't, PM me with the error details.

R.J.

When I click that it only says WinRAR for me. I also tried WinZIP, but didn't work either. The error message reads: "Cannot open file: it does not appear to be a valid archive. If you downloaded this file, try downloading the file again."

R.J.

Phew, I finally got around to playing this.

First off, a little bug: When I entered the scene where Skylark gets bullied while on the mount, the horse sound effect keeps playing during the scene and afterwards, until I mounted up and dismissed it again.

It's a really good game though. I get the feeling you increased the default RMXP FPS, but despite that I had some FPS issues. Might just be my computer running too much stuff at the same time though.

I really like the mounting thing, good animations as well. One thing to think about might be making a jumping function while on a mount, so you can jump over fences or something, but I don't know how far that is plausible considering events and stuff.

The jumping thing with the trunks in the forest was good too.

I got the feeling some of the maps were a bit spaced out, it was still alright, but watch out for too much empty space.

The RTP, Naramura, and default battles are usually a turn-off, but heck... With this game, I didn't even care.

R.J.":3ju9yqg4 said:
Phew, I finally got around to playing this.

First off, a little bug: When I entered the scene where Skylark gets bullied while on the mount, the horse sound effect keeps playing during the scene and afterwards, until I mounted up and dismissed it again.
I had that fixed on my local copy, next time I post an update, it will be gone.

It's a really good game though. I get the feeling you increased the default RMXP FPS, but despite that I had some FPS issues. Might just be my computer running too much stuff at the same time though.
I didn't change the FPS, but it can get a little laggy on some of the larger maps, especially the Garrison. It's probably due to the sheer number of events.

I really like the mounting thing, good animations as well. One thing to think about might be making a jumping function while on a mount, so you can jump over fences or something, but I don't know how far that is plausible considering events and stuff.
I've thought about that, actually. I may add a mounted jump option for specific locations, but making it a function that can be done anywhere would cause problems with the maps' natural boundaries.

The jumping thing with the trunks in the forest was good too.
Glad you liked that, it was fun to implement.

I got the feeling some of the maps were a bit spaced out, it was still alright, but watch out for too much empty space.
I actually have to agree with you on that one. I made most of the maps with the map editor zoomed out to 1/4, so they tend to look better from that perspective, but seeing them in-game does feel sparse sometimes. It's definitely more of a problem on my older maps... I'm getting better, the next book should have "tighter" maps; I would like to improve on some of the existing areas (such as the Thornbury Wilds, Thieves' Woods), but I've got to be careful that I don't spend all my time making improvements without ever making forward progress.

The RTP, Naramura, and default battles are usually a turn-off, but heck... With this game, I didn't even care.
I'll take that as a compliment, thanks! Did you finish it the first book?

R.J.

I only finished the first chapter yet, and just got to Thornbury. Don't have a lot of free time for this, unfortunately.

A game is usually great in my book if I want to continue playing and want to know what's going on. This game is certainly doing that to me. Really, it's the most enjoyable RMXP game I played in a long while.

R.J.

Allright bumping time, a few notes and a bug.

First let's get down the notes

- It takes quite long to raise a level. I've been clearing the wilds near Thornbury, and I'm still around lvl 9-ish. I don't know if that's the purpose, but ok.

- I think you should reconsider about poison being deadly. I once got poison on both characters and they died before I could recover them, thus I was gameover. Perhaps you should make it so characters only drop to 1 HP, instead of completely dieing.

Then for the bug:

I chose to help the mayor's son steal the gold, however, when I went to the tavern and chose to wait until nightfall, Arthur's portrait picture didn't disappear. I quit playing then since I didn't wanna play with a big portrait picture in the screen.

Aside from that I'm really enjoying the game so far.

Don't let this topic die... I will be so sad...
Juno, are you making proggress on the second book? What about those teaser screens you promised?
-Remoba

R.J.":7iu5ucph said:
Allright bumping time, a few notes and a bug.

First let's get down the notes

- It takes quite long to raise a level. I've been clearing the wilds near Thornbury, and I'm still around lvl 9-ish. I don't know if that's the purpose, but ok.

It's purposeful. The experience is on a curve, so that the longer you spend in one area, the slower you will advance in level. Each level takes more volume of experience than the last, so unless you start fighting tougher enemies/taking on more quests, you won't level up quite as fast.

- I think you should reconsider about poison being deadly. I once got poison on both characters and they died before I could recover them, thus I was gameover. Perhaps you should make it so characters only drop to 1 HP, instead of completely dieing.
I think I'll leave it the way it is for now; if everyone in your party is so poisoned that they become unconscious, no one would be able to administer aid. What I plan on doing to mitigate this is to have a few randomly generated Aloe Plants in areas with poisonous enemies.
Then for the bug:

I chose to help the mayor's son steal the gold, however, when I went to the tavern and chose to wait until nightfall, Arthur's portrait picture didn't disappear. I quit playing then since I didn't wanna play with a big portrait picture in the screen.

Aside from that I'm really enjoying the game so far.
Thanks for the heads-up, I'll be sure to fix that. If that ever happens again, anytime a "faced" character speaks, their portrait will disappear, so you just need to initiate a conversation where a portrait will appear.

remoba":7iu5ucph said:
Don't let this topic die... I will be so sad...
Juno, are you making proggress on the second book? What about those teaser screens you promised?
-Remoba
It's far from dead! The more progress I'm making, the less I'm on this thread. I'll probably post some teaser screens soon.

Well, I am glad that some people are still here. I just meant that if nobody bump, this topic will go back to page 2... Waiting for those teasers.

As promised, here are some screenshots from the next book:

Enter the Coastal city of Stormguard
Stormguard.png

Survive the treacherous pits of Durnhelm's Pass
DurnhelmsPass.png

Find hidden people and objects with William's new spell, "True Sight"
TrueSight02.png

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.