Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.
The Blacksmith's Apprentice

The Blacksmith's Apprentice - Version 1.5 released

I've got a problem when I want to help Skylark. There the game fades and the table appears (file graphics/transitions/.....not found). What should I do to fix this?

seacat":2qr0s56s said:
I've got a problem when I want to help Skylark. There the game fades and the table appears (file graphics/transitions/.....not found). What should I do to fix this?

Can you write down the rest of the message? I don't use any transition events, so that's a new one to me. I'm wondering if you have a corrupt RTP...

I found a glitch.

It's actually possible to beat the old Lady in the cave. You can use Python's dance to stun her, and just finish her off while she is stunned.
Nothing happens though, the entire scene just repeats and you have to fight Gaij and Jackson once again.

Finished the demo by the way, and loved it. Tremendous work.

Hi, I just started playing this game and I'm already impressed. I loved the horse-mounting feature! :D Anyways, I'm about to leave Willow Glen, so I was wondering whether I could explore the cave there before leaving. If yes, then where can I find a lantern. Thanks in advance!

Deranous":32ljk19j said:
I found a glitch.

It's actually possible to beat the old Lady in the cave. You can use Python's dance to stun her, and just finish her off while she is stunned.
Nothing happens though, the entire scene just repeats and you have to fight Gaij and Jackson once again.

Finished the demo by the way, and loved it. Tremendous work.

Glad you liked it! That glitch is a new one to me. I didn't think it was even possible to get a strike in, your character must have high agility. Thanks for letting me know, I'll make her stun-proof in the next version.

Translucense":32ljk19j said:
Hi, I just started playing this game and I'm already impressed. I loved the horse-mounting feature! :D Anyways, I'm about to leave Willow Glen, so I was wondering whether I could explore the cave there before leaving. If yes, then where can I find a lantern. Thanks in advance!

The lantern comes later, so you can't explore those caves until you come back. I hope you enjoy the rest.

seacat":32ljk19j said:
The full message is File Graphics/Transitions/012-Random04 not found

That's really odd, since the game never actually uses that graphic, or any of the transition graphics. Just to be sure, I replayed that section over again, and I didn't encounter any trouble, and I know others have gotten through it. I wonder if you could just put a blank file in that folder, and call it "012-Random04.png".

BrunoTR":32ljk19j said:
Did you get my message, Juno. The new game still doesn't work.

I realized that it may not be a bug at all. Have you talked to Belarus? Only after you talk to him does Arthur "know" that you have to sneak William to Belarus' house. It's one of those things that can be tricky once you've played the game, because you (IRL) know what to do, but your character doesn't.

If that still doesn't work, PM me with your saved game, I'll see if the variables line up.

Just finished the game the second time. The first one was a long time ago. I liked the new puzzles and some parts that I forgot. Liked your mapping. The forging ability as well as the new city east of the garisson. But I have a few problems:
First of all I remember Arthur having a poisn arrow skill. Did I miss it or did you erase it? The Hazel-Stink Wood problem still drives me crazy. Was the first time a test? Or is William's mom a drawf (Does that make william half a draw?). Although I got to the final arc, I don't know what's wrong because I have talked to belerus and he told me I need to find a plane to sneak William into his house. I saved Margaret from the soldier. I don't know what to do but I remembered some errands for Charis'es mom so I got there and I tried talking to her. She said "thanks for accepting to help me with the food deleveries", although I never accepted. I took the pack of food to Margaret and then came back to the Blumfield's and nothing happens. No new errand. So now although I already know the game is about to finish, I still want to finish it with this profile.
For another subject I tried the quest script on my game, if you can help me with it I will be really grateful. Looking forward for the second "Book". This game kept me busy for the last couple of days. Now I need to find something else to do...
-Remoba

Yeah, that happened to me. It's a glitch.

Luckily for me, I saved on a different slot before I entered willow glen, so I managed to restore mine. Unless you don't have another save, I don't know what to do for you pal.

Well I saved 2 slots before entering Willow Glen, 1 times before Gaji and Jackson and 1 time in the end with Arthur. Should I use the 2 first? If I do how can I fix the bug? Won't it happen again?
-Remoba

Load the one before Gaij and Jackson.
To get past the bug, just go STRAIGHT to Mrs's Bloomfield and do everything in order.
It should work then.
After you've helped Mrs's Bloomfield, and she thanks you for all your work, speak to Belarus, and then go speak to William.

OK thank you very much, wait when should I help margaret then?
EDIT: Thanks pal I finished the game, but I still think Juno should fix it.
I can't really find bad things in this game except the fact that Arthur was strong in the start, but now he is quite a joke. My William and Arthur are always kind of equal. William is always one level stronger than Arthur. But still With the new skills aquired, William can easily damage a lot of enemies in one shot while Arthur can't do almost anything.
My only suggestion is to make a third party member, a cleric (Maybe Skylark?). This game isn't so easy and the items are running out quite fast. Skylark hasn't trained with Belarus for nothing! Let her use her skill. Can't wait for the next "book". I am dying to use the Blood Boil. I still think that William's mother is an drawf (XD).Btw, in the Gloomy woods, when you try using Thistle, you can't take her into battle, you need to increase your rank. Would we be able to fight with Thistle? That's sounds aweosome. There are a lot of things I don't understand, from the scarffed lady (was she the witch???) to the wierd exceution of Quelin. And who killed that mercenary that traveled with Trobulus? Those two and the witch are starting to remind me of Akatsuki of Naruto. Sure you aren't inspired by that?
EDIT: I was bored so I loaded some old save file, (well, not that old). When you are in the cave without Arthur (he went with Skylark to visit his father), if you try going to the holy water, and you try storing it in a battle. Arthur says: "I guess these water can't be stored in just anything". That's quite wierd because Arthur isn't in the party. I remember someone telling you but maybe you didn't notice? And one last thing, altough I purchased a wagon a long time ago from Erel, the quest menu does'nt erase that quest. No description, just "Starting location" Thuranby and Recived from: "Erell the slik".
-Remoba

remoba":9zglt63g said:
Just finished the game the second time. The first one was a long time ago. I liked the new puzzles and some parts that I forgot. Liked your mapping. The forging ability as well as the new city east of the garisson. But I have a few problems:
First of all I remember Arthur having a poisn arrow skill. Did I miss it or did you erase it?
I'm glad you enjoyed it the second time. Yes, Arthur had (and can still get) a Poison Arrow skill. Originally, he just got it for leveling up, but I changed it awhile back so that you have to learn your skills from NPCs by doing side quests. I thought it made it a little more realistic. That particular skill is learned in Thornbury. Talk to the professor in the school.

The Hazel-Stink Wood problem still drives me crazy. Was the first time a test? Or is William's mom a drawf (Does that make william half a draw?).
You're not the first person to wonder if William's mother has Dwarven blood. I won't say why the Hazelweed didn't work for the dwarves, but it WILL be revealed later on in the game.

Although I got to the final arc, I don't know what's wrong because I have talked to belerus and he told me I need to find a plane to sneak William into his house. I saved Margaret from the soldier. I don't know what to do but I remembered some errands for Charis'es mom so I got there and I tried talking to her. She said "thanks for accepting to help me with the food deleveries", although I never accepted. I took the pack of food to Margaret and then came back to the Blumfield's and nothing happens.
I may have inadvertently introduced a temporary new bug when I tried to fix what I thought was a bug for BrunoTR. The NEWEST version doesn't have it, unfortunately once you've gotten the bug from a previous version (which is caused by talking to Margaret after Belarus) the damage is done; re-downloading won't help, because the problem is with your saved file. If you'd like to PM me with your broken file, that would certainly help me make sure the bug is squashed.

For another subject I tried the quest script on my game, if you can help me with it I will be really grateful. Looking forward for the second "Book". This game kept me busy for the last couple of days. Now I need to find something else to do...
-Remoba
I won't be able to help you with the quest script, unfortunately. I had to modify the script itself, as well as a number of other built-in scripts in order to get it to work, and I did it so long ago, I don't even remember what all I did.

I can't really find bad things in this game except the fact that Arthur was strong in the start, but now he is quite a joke. My William and Arthur are always kind of equal. William is always one level stronger than Arthur. But still With the new skills aquired, William can easily damage a lot of enemies in one shot while Arthur can't do almost anything.
I'll take a closer look at Arthur's abilities and available weapons. Since you didn't get poison arrow earlier on, that may have affected it, but I don't want him to be a one-skill wonder, either. He has the chance to learn an "All Enemies" attack shortly into the 2nd book; but maybe that's not early enough... In any event, you've brought up a good point which I will address.

My only suggestion is to make a third party member, a cleric (Maybe Skylark?). This game isn't so easy and the items are running out quite fast. Skylark hasn't trained with Belarus for nothing! Let her use her skill.
Just wait. :)

Can't wait for the next "book". I am dying to use the Blood Boil. I still think that William's mother is an drawf (XD).Btw, in the Gloomy woods, when you try using Thistle, you can't take her into battle, you need to increase your rank. Would we be able to fight with Thistle? That's sounds aweosome.
Once you've become the "Warrior" rank, you should be able to take Thistle with you into enemy territory. At this point, the only advantage is that you can stay on the horse with enemies nearby, and thus move faster to evade or attack them. I hadn't planned on it making a difference in actual combat, but now that I think about it, that could be very cool, once William reaches the "Knight" rank...

There are a lot of things I don't understand, from the scarffed lady (was she the witch???) to the wierd exceution of Quelin. And who killed that mercenary that traveled with Trobulus? Those two and the witch are starting to remind me of Akatsuki of Naruto. Sure you aren't inspired by that?
The first book introduces a lot of mysteries, most of which are not revealed until much later. (I've never heard of "Akatsuki" or "Naruto", so no inspiration there.)

When you are in the cave without Arthur (he went with Skylark to visit his father), if you try going to the holy water, and you try storing it in a battle. Arthur says: "I guess these water can't be stored in just anything". That's quite wierd because Arthur isn't in the party. I remember someone telling you but maybe you didn't notice? And one last thing, altough I purchased a wagon a long time ago from Erel, the quest menu does'nt erase that quest. No description, just "Starting location" Thuranby and Recived from: "Erell the slik".
-Remoba
I thought I took care of that issue in the cave, where Arthur makes a comment even when he's not present. I'll take another look. As for the wagon quest problem, do you remember which Isildaine you helped? I double-checked that section, and I can't figure out how that happened. Could you PM me with your saved game?

And thanks for all the feedback! I appreciate the time you took to write it up.

I still think there is another glitch in this game.
I don't know if this is a glitch but in the Drawf Mines, in the first level there ia a rock that you can only break with a pickaxe. There is a Kraken behind that rock but even if you don't kill it, Arthur says you are done. I haven't tried but I am preety sure that if you go back to the foreman you are done even without killing that Kraken.
In addition I just tried to lockpick a locked chest for the first time. Loved it. Although I don't understand what you need to do with the Magicaly locked chests. Are you suppose to open them after William is aware of his gift?
Well we should leave Juno alone so he can work on his next Book so let's not write here for any nonesense.
-Remoba

Juno":1fzc5fao said:
remoba":1fzc5fao said:
There are a lot of things I don't understand, from the scarffed lady (was she the witch???) to the wierd exceution of Quelin. And who killed that mercenary that traveled with Trobulus? Those two and the witch are starting to remind me of Akatsuki of Naruto. Sure you aren't inspired by that?
The first book introduces a lot of mysteries, most of which are not revealed until much later. (I've never heard of "Akatsuki" or "Naruto", so no inspiration there.)
Oh, I know who killed them. Worked it out. It's the same reason that at the beginning of the game William got that- *muffled sounds, some shouting, then a gunshot. Then silence*

*Ahem*.

Now that that's taken care of, back to work.

remoba":3334h2fs said:
I still think there is another glitch in this game.
I don't know if this is a glitch but in the Drawf Mines, in the first level there ia a rock that you can only break with a pickaxe. There is a Kraken behind that rock but even if you don't kill it, Arthur says you are done. I haven't tried but I am preety sure that if you go back to the foreman you are done even without killing that Kraken.
-Remoba

That area has been bothering me for a long time... I've pored over it many times, and made sure that the number of Krakens required to kill matches the number actually present, but it still doesn't match up. Thanks for the info, I'll give it another look. I did fairly recently reduce the number altogether, maybe that's it.

I just don't get the thing with the Isildaines. I helped the son and the gold has been stolen. Yet when I came back the son was no where to be found. Not with his friends nor with his family. His father says "I am happy that Calleb came home". If he DID came home that has the pocket tax been lifted? I still payed 500 gold but when I went to theiv's heaven and talked to a guy in the house, William told him that the pocket tax HAS been lifted. Anyway I am confused. I want my money back!(Just kidding).
-Remoba

remoba":rvn7z4jd said:
I just don't get the thing with the Isildaines. I helped the son and the gold has been stolen. Yet when I came back the son was no where to be found. Not with his friends nor with his family. His father says "I am happy that Calleb came home". If he DID came home that has the pocket tax been lifted? I still payed 500 gold but when I went to theiv's heaven and talked to a guy in the house, William told him that the pocket tax HAS been lifted. Anyway I am confused. I want my money back!(Just kidding).
-Remoba

Thanks for catching that, I messed up the mayor's conversation tree on that one. His response to you for helping Caleb was switched with his response for you helping Eva, his wife. If you did choose to help Caleb, he should still be out in the Wilds with his friends after he steals the gold. Did he give you the 600 Gp?

As for the guy in Thornbury, I forgot to modify his comments to reflect the path taken with the Isildaines.

Hmm Yea I got the 600 Gp but Caleb isn't there. There is a fire. One guy above it and one guy to the left. Caleb is supposed to be under it right? Cause he isn't.
I have also found the source of my problem.
I knew that you have to find 10 moshrums instead of just 1. That's why I didn't even notice that I can already finish that quests. My bad.
-Remoba

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.