Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.
The Blacksmith's Apprentice

The Blacksmith's Apprentice - Version 1.5 released

hello everyone

i am stuck in garrison i am trying to talk to quelion but i dont know how to distract guards in garrison
guys please help me

thanks

hopeman":i1l0nqu5 said:
hello everyone

i am stuck in garrison i am trying to talk to quelion but i dont know how to distract guards in garrison
guys please help me

thanks

Try talking to Davey, the boy just above the cattle corral. That should get you started.

DoctorChaos":xfm71qrz said:
Great game! but it's full of mapping errors :dead:

I'm glad you enjoyed the game! Can you remember where you found some of the mapping errors? I'm always working to improve the game.

thank you very much i had talk to everyone but him i dont know how i missed him , thanks for your prompt reply
Juno":1vpk2y3b said:
hopeman":1vpk2y3b said:
hello everyone

guys please help me

thanks

Try talking to Davey, the boy just above the cattle corral. That should get you started.

guys please help me

thanks[/quote]

guys please help me

thanks[/quote]

Try talking to Davey, the boy just above the cattle corral. That should get you started.[/quote]

thank you very much i had talk to everyone but him i dont know how i missed him , thanks for your prompt reply

Hey, I finally started this game again about a week ago, and was wondering, do the choices in the game make a REAL big difference in the end? For example, when picking 1 of the 3 actions you can do with the mayor's son near the beginning of the demo, would that reflect a few scenes you would (not) see later on in the game? Thanks!

Anopob":333ebi8q said:
Hey, I finally started this game again about a week ago, and was wondering, do the choices in the game make a REAL big difference in the end? For example, when picking 1 of the 3 actions you can do with the mayor's son near the beginning of the demo, would that reflect a few scenes you would (not) see later on in the game? Thanks!

It does affect the game. Later on (though not in the first book), you will need help from the Isildaine family, and whoever you help now will determine which family member will be willing to help you later on, and what quest(s) you may need to complete to gain their help. I've been adding other choices like that elsewhere in the game as well. For instance...
In the Thieves' Woods, there is a thief that sells unique items. He stole a locket from a man in Lief's Haven, which is an available side quest. You can simply fight the thief to get the locket back, but you might miss out on some unique goodies later on...

Tuna

Awesome Bro

Wow! I had a really great time playing through this demo! I can't wait until the next update!

Pros:
-Development of characters and their skills felt very natural. There was no big leap from being outrageously weak to super strong.
-The plot was very engaging, and it didn't take any expected turns.
-I enjoyed having to do side quests for skills instead of just learning them at level up.
-Blacksmith System looks like it could be fun.. in later updates.

Cons:
-Stumbled upon some hard monsters a bit too easily. The big Salaseren's cave could have been harder to access and the Gold Mushroom Quest could have avoided mentioning that particular area just yet. I also ended up running into some harpies while looking for the man's shoes and I had to load a much older save.
-I don't think saving 20GP is worth it to fight the man for the locket, and you should remove the fighting option altogether to prevent people from wanting to replay the entire game just to unlock additional goodies.
-I only managed to find Leather Armor Instructions, and I didn't even find any Twine until my current armor greatly surpassed the instructions I found at the start of the game.

Other Suggestions:
-Give the player a chance to save the game before cutting off at the end of the demo.
-A town with Guild Halls that sent you on 2-3 small quests before teaching you a new skill.
-Making Blacksmith Instructions easier to find or more abundant, and have monsters drop the items needed. This will encourage people to level up more while tracking down these components, and make them much more likely to fight monsters instead of running past them.
-If you chose to fight the thief for the locket, add an option to pay him a couple hundred coins or whatnot in order to get him to trade with you again. This would be a nice little chance at redemption.***

GREAT WORK!!! I hope this helps!

Thanks Juno for the answer for that. I was scared I would pick something wrong and have to re-do everything again, but if that's the case, I'll continue. Hopefully I won't pick a bad option :P

@Tuna:
Thanks for the awesome feedback. I'm probably going to use several of your suggestions, I think they could really improve the game. I am hesitant to have monsters drop custom components for a couple of reasons, though. If there are items that can be created solely with components dropped by monsters, then players might just grind their way to a whole bunch of custom stuff. Or, if I made one particular and necessary ingredient rare, most players would end up with a bunch of useless components in their inventory. But it's a great suggestion nonetheless, and one I've definitely considered before.

The Iron Sword plans are at the Smithy in Thornbury, and the smith does mention them, but that is also a plot-point, so that may be why several players have overlooked those plans.

@Anopob: With the Isildaine's, as with any other game-affecting decisions during play, my hope is that there won't be any "bad options", just different options.

@Mayoman: The mayor is at home, his house is the one with a large yard, at the southwest end of town.

How do I light the magical torches in the Ancient Ruins?

I think I need a magical torch to do so, but I can't locate one.

Nevermind, I figured it out.

For some reason it wouldn't let me walk into the entrance behind the curtain.

But then it fixed itself.

I just completed BOOK 1 and it was amazing.

I'm so addicted to the characters and the story. its like a novel with the scope of the script and quality of the dialogue. I didn't even want to leave the first town because everyone there is great characters full of personality and life. you actually feel for the characters and there is a lot of heart-warming scenes in the beginning where you get to know the main character's family, his friends and his girlfriend's family.

I like how the main characters aren't heroes(yet). William is just a blacksmith and Arthur is a woodcutter. they haven't been in any extraordinary situations(yet) but they did witness some plots. William's goal is a simple task to get coal from the dwarven mines and bring it back to his father's smithy. Also, another realistic thing is the characters don't learn skills when they level up. they actually have to be taught the skills from others.

Pros:
-there is tons of sidequests and subplots. these are interesting as well.
-intruging storyline, there is plenty of mysteries so far. (no cheesy dialogue, pretty realistic)
-interesting and well-developed characters.
-item creation system
-join guilds
-multiple dialogue choices, I enjoyed the scenario with stealing Carrock's gold.
- Save anywhere
- great puzzles and solving some situations.

Cons:
-You cannot run from battles, this screwed me over a few times, but you see enemies on the map.

Here are some of my theories.
William's mother is actually a dwarf. the cure for somnia's sickness for dwarfs are stinkweed plants and the cure for the sickness for human's is the hazelweed. at the very beginning, William's mother mentions that she doesn't remember using the hazelweed plant but stinkweed., but she could of forgotten,

Quelion Grey'nor wasn't actually executed. his wife was disguised as a executioner and saved him and tricked the town into thinking he was dead. when you return to his wife's house shortly after, you find out that she moved.

i dunno what Torbulus was up to the entire book with making all those seals.

the warning letter at the beginning written in Wiliam's writing? WTF was that about? himself from the future?

i expect Skylark will join the party as the cleric since she was learning magic from Berlarus.

I think that the leader of the Thieves guild was the girl that got raped by Carrock.

i think the beautiful women with the scarf is up to no good and know exactly what she was doing and set up Quelion to get killed.

Juno, feel free to laugh at these and you don't have to respond, I don't want to be spoiled in the slightest.

I would also like to ask Juno a few questions.
What is the current progress on book 2? Do you have the entire story already planned and mapped out? It's also exciting thinking about what characters are going to join the party in the future, I mean there is so many faces in the game.

I was wondering if anyone could help me... I'm stuck at the dwarf mines part. They tell me I need to get the key from the top of the mountain, but when I go through the cave to get there, giant super-strong eagles come and kill me. Am I supposed to go through there or is there another way?

That's the correct way to go. Arthur should handle those eagles pretty well with poison arrow. Also, make sure to bring a lot of items, because you won't be able to run from all the fights because some of the cave hallways are narrow and can be blocked easily.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.