Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Shitposting and You! Also, New Staff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, great, it's just my luck that'd I'd end up posting profusely in a forum that Des hates. Limericks was kinda funny. We did kinda get derailing on False gossip though. Besides that I can't see what's not to like.

Ya cut me deep Mr. Despain. I'm one of those forum game poster people.

Good members like you aren't forum game people. There is a surprisingly large subcommunity of members that post almost exclusively in forum games. If members were active all over the forum rather than just forum games, I doubt the place would be as much of a hellhole as it is (might this have to do with that weird glitch?).

djzalzer":2oa86qqs said:
I'd like to clarify. . .  Is necroposting in stickies forbidden or not?

Nope. But posting something with no content other than "lol nice sticky" is spam.

There generally needs to be a purpose to every post.

To add in:
It is IMPOSSIBLE to necropost in a sticky.  That's why they're stickied, to always be considered 'open' for new posts.  If a sticky is a year old, for whatever reason, with no new posts, your still as eligible to post in it as if the last post had been made yesterday.
S'long as you have content to add in, like Des stated.

Ok, while 55% of my posts were made in the Forum Games, I wasn't exclusive there. I have been active in other forums too, ya know.

Thank you all for the welcomes, congrats, hey's...

TREG, thanks for the reminder. :scruff:

Wyatt, most of the time a "relevent" search provides the best results. At least for
someone who is using the search to find the answer to a specific problem.
That being said, the option to sort by "Date Posted" or "Started By" could be useful.

I've also wondered many times why 'necroposting' was frowned upon. Although I took it
to mean, literally, just posting in a old topic. I guess I considered the problem with
posting spam in an old topic being the 'spam' part, not the 'old topic'.

Etheon, I'd support the Elder Party this year! :scruff:
One advantage to the "Farewell" forum & topic is: it keeps it all in one place.

Kojo, good advice. I agree. If the management wants this place to be more "professional",
they should support that by encouraging all of the staff to reflect that in their behavior.
Anyone in a position of authority or power should hold themselves to a higher standard.
I'm no saint, and certainly no stranger to cursing (particularly when I work on my vehicle).
But in most cases, especially here, it's just not necessary.

Sandgolem, your gratitude is payment enough! :scruff:

Volrath, thanks. I didn't even notice that "Date Posted" was clickable in the search results.
Let's try to improve the dialogue here simply because it will make for a better community, not to impress anyone else.
Well put!

Happy Gamemaking!

Brewmeister":2d0t8l08 said:
I've also wondered many times why 'necroposting' was frowned upon. Although I took it
to mean, literally, just posting in a old topic. I guess I considered the problem with

The problem lies in the age itself.

A lot of members come, contribute some, and then fade out or leave. That means that their contribution topics will never be answered. If someone asks something new in a very old topic, there's a high likelihood that the creator of that topic either:

a.) Is gone,

or

b.) Doesn't care about that topic any longer.

Threads older than three months also generally run into issues ...

- The images and links are broken, since the topic creator's hosting/photobucket/whatever has been moved or is down.

- The topic applied to something time-sensitive, whose time has passed (like announcements or current events).

etc.

It's a general practice on a lot of forums to discourage necroposting because it almost always just generates spam. If it's not time-sensitive and/or directed at the topic creator (i.e. a General Discussion thing), and a person has something meaningful (non-spam) to contribute, then it's a general rule for we modz to just let it flow.

And I mostly agree with you on the 'mods should set an example' thing, but if we were to cut out all of our personality, well ... There wouldn't be any more mods here  :tongue:. It's not our job to police the Internet and force (mostly) everyone to play nice, it's our job to make a generally spam-free and [somewhat] well-oiled machine for people to share their ideas/resources.

I think there's a few issues with it.  First of all bumping an ancient topic with a spam message bumps down everyone else's legitimate topics.  Second sometimes it is done to dredge up old disputes in order to flame people (I've seen that plenty of times on another forum which I administrate).  Then there's also the issue of bandwidth.  If the body (topic) is dead why bloat the body?

Etheon, I'd support the Elder Party this year!
One advantage to the "Farewell" forum & topic is: it keeps it all in one place.

Ditto to Etheon.  Yet, as Brewmeister has pointed out, people looking for drama will invariably find it, and the rules be damned when they look for it.  They'd just post it in the General or the feedback forum, and scream about their rights to voice their inane disputes with the board or members of it while wasting bandwidth they likely don't pay for nor want to.  This isn't a comment on any recent activity here, it's just a simple truth of discussion board behavior that I've witnessed many times over in many settings.

On Topic:
One thing that may help is one simple rules page or thread that covers all of the general rules of the board.  Then each forum section can post their own additional rules and link to the general rules for the other details.  I'll tell you it was a little hard tracking down all the rules and learning the culture before taking the plunge to post without a sin.  A nice clean primer thread might help out some of the new folk understand the general do's and don'ts.

Lala. Thanks, w/e.

Just doing my job, like the rest of the staff here. Making sure my hand is in the natural selection cookie jar and what have you.

As far as the maturity level of the community is concerned. While we do have a generally young member base, the more active members reach from the high teens to low twenties, and onwards. There is no reason to not expect a fair bit of civility and maturity from the members, and when reading a thread to expect proper grammar, well thought out content, and both friendliness and honesty when critiquing and suggesting.

Other than that, cheers to my fellow Support team staff. I hope we make a more lasting impression than the .NET Support team, as we now have POWERZ TO ABUEZ

Prexus":1hblhodg said:
I hope we make a more lasting impression than the .NET Support team, as we now have POWERZ TO ABUEZ

And thus has the Fall of .Org begun. (Geez, it's meant as a joke, internet sarcasm is hard)

Rare

My views on swearing are this:

One, the internet is not owned by anybody thus making it a place to speak freely (in relation to certain laws, of course).  However, swearing on the internet is not illegal.  If your main concern is the younger audience, there's nothing you can really do - it's their choice to be here.  In addition, as somebody else mentioned, if younger people do use this site, it's most likely true that they have seen 'obscene' language before.  If their parents don't approve, then that's their problem; those are their specific house rules.  It is not up to the staff at rmxp.org to ensure the words they view are clean or 'appropriate'.  If that person doesn't like something, theres no reason why they cant leave.

That being said, I do think 'needless' swearing is inappropriate.  Not because of the actual words themselves, but because it makes the poster look stupid, and also taints the quality of the forums (ie. lacking the 'professional' feel).  Although that is true to an extent, the choice of words the poster uses should be solely up to his or her discretion.  As it's been said many times over...we aren't here to police the internet. 

My two cents on the issue.

Ven, Soph, both good points. ( and justification, I think, to lock old topics that get abused, that have no hope of ever becoming valuable again.)

Not suggesting anyone sacrifice their personality. Only that if someone's personality is abusive & obscene, that they don't belong in the position of dealing with people who frequently need "guidance". And, that "guidance" is always an alternative to public humiliation. (for the hard-cases, warnings & bans are there for a reason...)

Back on Topic...

Is it possible to put a BIG RED reminder at the top of the "New Topic" entry page? Reminding people to check the FAQ (once it's legible again)*, Check the stickied posts, Do a search, etc...
An abbreviated version of the rules.

* I've been tempted to start editing it, but if nested spoilers are coming back, that should fix the format. Then, we just need to update or delete any dead links.

Another annoyance, the "Help Me" topic. What I've started doing, right or wrong, rather than wasting a post to ask the person to change the Title of their topic, is just changing it myself. "Help Me. (...with SodBuster's Barfomatic script?). Leaving the orginal title so they can still find it quickly, but setting an example that they will hopefully learn from. I haven't heard any feedback, negative or positive.

60, stop PoopyPosting!  :scruff:

Be Well

@Brewmeister
What I've started doing, right or wrong, rather than wasting a post to ask the person to change the Title of their topic, is just changing it myself. "Help Me. (...with SodBuster's Barfomatic script?). Leaving the orginal title so they can still find it quickly, but setting an example that they will hopefully learn from. I haven't heard any feedback, negative or positive.

That idea sounds plausible to me. I really don't think that putting down big red words will help though. If a person wants to pretend that they don't see a stop sign, then they'll keep on drivin'. If people like Mods or Support go through the project threads, keeping tabs on the different topics and giving warning/instructions/directions on how to improve a topic or even taking disciplinary actions against those who aren't listening/obeying the rules. Then the problem should clear up. Maybe a warning at the top of each new topic that displays before the post is posted/published directing people to look at Stickies or Topics that give out directions or instructions on how to go about posting in that set forum. In that way, people will read the consquences of rash posting/stupid posting.

@Atemu
Wow, that was harsh. Everybody gets taken so seriously around here. Besides, when have I said that I wanted to be Support? Not everybody who comes to this forum wants power you know. Never in all my time here have I even hinted at wanting to take on any major responsibilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.