Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Post What's on Your Mind

Hybrida

☆ Biggest Ego ☆

The U.S. nuclear program currently have 2,200 operational ICBM's... Just a reminder. People forget sometimes. I'll make sure they don't. :grin:

Yep I'm still me. That's wonderful! Ohh, um Hi.

Holy shit! I passed advanced algorithms! I walked out of the final certain I had failed the class (seriously, I probably got around a 5% on it, which is possibly more embarrassing than turning in a blank exam), but maybe my TA took pity on me or something.

Perihelion":1erxfg88 said:
Holy shit! I passed advanced algorithms! I walked out of the final certain I had failed the class (seriously, I probably got around a 5% on it, which is possibly more embarrassing than turning in a blank exam), but maybe my TA took pity on me or something.
That's awesome! Great job Peri!

Following suggestions from a few friends, I added a Latest Resources section to the mockup, added a Register button to the top, as well as added a Recent Discussion panel to the sidebar and repurposed Popular Audio as Popular Resources.

Injury

Awesome Bro

Glitchfinder":3fcx8hxc said:
Xilef, I hate to say this, but your mockup is terrible at best. You do NOT use Reddit or Disqus as a base for delivering anything but text content. I'm working up a mockup in HTML right now, I'll link it when I'm done.

Edit: and now you can find a very quick and dirty html demo here. Note that it was designed very hastily, and what actually shows up on the homepage can and should be up for discussion. For example, the Nexus mod sites disallow content from showing up on the homepage if there is no image associated with it, while indiedb requires an image to be associated with content before it can be submitted.

Throwing it out there...I like the design a lot, but It seems like a lot of wasted space to the left and right. Maybe wider columns or just put more of those content sections on one line.

Really dig it!

Injury":5hfjmzex said:
Glitchfinder":5hfjmzex said:
Xilef, I hate to say this, but your mockup is terrible at best. You do NOT use Reddit or Disqus as a base for delivering anything but text content. I'm working up a mockup in HTML right now, I'll link it when I'm done.

Edit: and now you can find a very quick and dirty html demo here. Note that it was designed very hastily, and what actually shows up on the homepage can and should be up for discussion. For example, the Nexus mod sites disallow content from showing up on the homepage if there is no image associated with it, while indiedb requires an image to be associated with content before it can be submitted.

Throwing it out there...I like the design a lot, but It seems like a lot of wasted space to the left and right. Maybe wider columns or just put more of those content sections on one line.

Really dig it!
That's actually intentional, for the same reason sites like indiedb, Skyrim Nexus, Steam, and many others have static-width themes that only take up half your screen: Dynamic layouts are a bitch, and since Windows 7 and Windows 8 have led to a lot of people using their browsers at halfscreen, they're catering to the lowest common screen size. (Which amounts to slightly less than half of a 1080p computer monitor)

Hi, guys. I skipped out for a few days. I got a job at a hospital as a GP. It pays fairly well. I probably won't get into residency this year, but that's fine. I'm still very young.

Nice to see some changes and activity in the site. It had been dead for a few weeks.

Oh, I've been looking at your suggestions and Glitch & Xilef's great mockups btw, when everything's settled and everyone's happy I'll work on it,

Might be easier to ditch the current portal and make our own using this as a base: search.php?search_id=newposts

Would have to enable search to guests for that, but it'd save a LOT of coding.

Princess Amy":3hb1080n said:
Oh, I've been looking at your suggestions and Glitch & Xilef's great mockups btw, when everything's settled and everyone's happy I'll work on it,

Might be easier to ditch the current portal and make our own using this as a base: search.php?search_id=newposts

Would have to enable search to guests for that, but it'd save a LOT of coding.

The cool thing about my mockup is that there is minimal new code involved for most of it. The Recent Discussion panel is literally intended to be a reskin of what you just linked (only with a few modifications to not ever be empty), the site news, latest games, and latest resources are intended to work like the main subject of the current portal (only segregated by news, game forums, and resource forums), while the only truly new backend code would be used to determine what the "popular" sidebar widgets would feature. You could even set it up to offer the option for a post image, and otherwise default to the first image in the post, and, failing that, the poster's avatar. If no avatar is found, then you get that little hbgames image I put in there. Descriptions would be a bit more complicated, but the simplistic way out is a cut from the start of the post or something like that.

Preparing for the holiday guests. Cleaning house. Washing bedding. Wrapping presents. Putting the Christmas tree up last minute (was hoping I wouldn't have to get it out) Got to help my sister move in a couple days. :crazy:
Not on my normal sleep schedule. No caffeine.

Jason

Awesome Bro

... But people DID know how to pronounce her name before the films came out, and I was one of them that was pronouncing it properly too, as was just about everyone else I knew at the time o.O

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.