Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Mr.Mo's Squad Based ABS (SBABS)

If you want party members as events use the ABS, this is much more advanced. I have tested this with pathfinding, made them go into small areas and they eventually all get stuck and the game hangs, not cool at all, atleast with this they will do what they are supposed to as good as they can.. Look at any game now adays, even ones on Xbox 360(I own one so I can say so from experience) have the AI get stuck all the time, player movement is so much more fluent and random that the AI can't keep pace with what players do, that is why if you press the control stick in many different directions to make the character "twitch" the AI simply runs around you in a circle or goes through you from the last movement command that was input by the player.

I have noticed in most games now, to prevent game hangs, they have an automatic ally teleport system going on, half the time you never notice because they have the ally teleport behind the player's camera, then run up beside them or behind them if they didn't turn any. Simple solution to the age old problem, but is best demonstrated with 3D games than 2D for the camera perspectives.

Hope this explains why pathfinding is incredibly hard to get control of without ruining a game with lag.

"Chaosg1 was working on a pathfinding specially for me but that didn't end so well. If he ever finishes, I'll add it."

I was and still am but I think I will add it as a Dll to the engine to prevent lagging :P So it may take a while :X

Hey Mr.Mo,
maybe this is a bit off-topic or just stupid, but I was thinking about creating a new script with the "Squad Based Movement" and the "Ally interaction" features without an ABS for these peoples using the DBS/ATB/RTAB. If you allow me to look at your code to write such script, I may do so, giving you the proper credit. So what do you think about it?

Eldnar

Whoa! now its Perfect!
And i Have some questions to make...
Who i retreat the "_hit" aimation and put the "_dead" animation?
_dead animation is for when the enemy die he's make a dead animation?
its possible?
and
Can i make diferents tipes of block?
like:
If i have the Bronze Shield the animations of defend is:
"_defend1"
If i have the Iron Shield the animation of Defend is:
"_defend2"
understand?
Like a diferents animations for each shields
And diferents probabilites for DEFEND_DAMEGE_PERCENT for diferents shields!

One Question this ABS [Mr.Mo ABS EvE] is compatible if:
Additional Enemy Drops by SephirothSpawn
And the scripts of More than 4 frame and pixelmovement
????
and how i create a weapon with range like spear?

@malick;

Nope, too much work for now. Maybe be somewhere in the future.

@axerax,

thats a good idea :p. I think I will use the teleport feature. If the player is out of range by like 10 tiles and the command is to follow, I will make them teleport.

tibuda;200209 said:
Hey Mr.Mo,
maybe this is a bit off-topic or just stupid, but I was thinking about creating a new script with the "Squad Based Movement" and the "Ally interaction" features without an ABS for these peoples using the DBS/ATB/RTAB. If you allow me to look at your code to write such script, I may do so, giving you the proper credit. So what do you think about it?

You mean like a one of those "follow the player" script? You'll need scrips/codes from;

class Game_Ally(or Allies) - whole
class Game_Character - whole
class Scene_Title
class Scene_Save
class Scene_Load
class Game_Party - whole
class Game_Actor(I think..)
class Game_Battler

You'll also need to update the allies. Use scene_map to do so, look in ABS update method. Also, the commands for the Squad are in the main ABS script, look in def player_update to find the method name.

@Eldnar

_dead is for only Allys, not enemies. _hit can be for everyone.

as for different shields. I don't know when, but someday I will.

"Additional Enemy Drops by SephirothSpawn"
No.

"And the scripts of More than 4 frame and pixelmovement"
No.

"and how i create a weapon with range like spear?"
Check FAQ.

Also, do not post about ABS EvE in SBABS thread. They are in different threads for a reason.... so I can support them easier!

Oh wow sorry! I was like half asleep when I typed that. Its just I originally was using the squad system for my game. But my testers kept complaining that they kept getting stuck! So I ditched the system. I was hoping that this one would be smarter.
I didn't know pathfinding was so resource intensive. I have a better solution though. Make it so they follow closer when not in attack mode or something. So like they follow so close its like a catipiller system but like they have the free motion still. You could add it as an option for the people who don't want it.

I won't end up using it for my current game cause I changed the battle style to zeldaish. But possibly for my next game I will use it.

Toushi Katou;200410 said:
Oh wow sorry! I was like half asleep when I typed that. Its just I originally was using the squad system for my game. But my testers kept complaining that they kept getting stuck! So I ditched the system. I was hoping that this one would be smarter.
I didn't know pathfinding was so resource intensive. I have a better solution though. Make it so they follow closer when not in attack mode or something. So like they follow so close its like a catipiller system but like they have the free motion still. You could add it as an option for the people who don't want it.

I won't end up using it for my current game cause I changed the battle style to zeldaish. But possibly for my next game I will use it.

I agree...they follow too far behind >.>

Damn it, Mr.Mo, you're a genius! XD

This will be awesome. I wonder, though, is there a way to tweak it so your squad can appear randomly after doing something? Like a summoning skill.

@Toushi Katou
hehe, actually, they are not suppose to follow that far. I forgot to delete a code that was from the version with Pathfinding. I'll edit and upload it when I get time.

@khengi

You can use common events :p. If you add or remove a party member, the ally will appear.

your guy goes slower so he isn't heard you know how they have the sound option or whatver its called it makes that virtually useless.

MapleCutter;200459 said:
WoW nice SBABS

i have a noobie question:
what happens when you sneak? :S

When you sneak this formula is used:

d = 1 if @sneaking

* d is the range of hearing.

I might remove it, because some people like to sneak behind enemies and hit them. or make it a choice.

Personally I like to use sneak for puzzles to get certain items without waking up extremely hard enemies... it is fun to do.

your abs gets better and better. its amazing. great job!
the only problem is, that i seem to be too dumb, to use it.

somehow, the enemys wont attack the player. but if i add the personality comment which is added in the demos events, it works. but this is not described in your help file, so I dont really get, what the different numbers in the personality comment stand for.
the enemies also do not use any skills. even if I copy the comments from the demos archers...

secondly there is still the old bug, that when using animations, it gets an error when you attack while dashing.
I found a simple solution to fix this one:
just add $game_player.character_name = @actor.name right before the string "animate" where the character will be animated.

* Some instructions are missing in the script! Please check the demo for some features such as PERSONALITY in monsters/events! The feature list has the numbers for each personality.
* For a complete feature list, check the settings in the script. You have to check the settings!
* Make sure to have taken all the graphics you need from the Graphics folder.
* Error Reporting
o Name the script you got the error in. There is 2 different ABSs so make sure to name which one you are using.
o Take a screenshot of the error.
o Record the line number and the line itself.
o Tell me what you were last doing.
* Feature Request
o Tell me in details what you want.
o It can't be time consuming, I'm a busy person.
* Download
o Mirror 1 - Save File
o Mirror 2 - MegaUpload

That.

And Dash and Sneak should be fixed, maybe I forgot to fix it for the SBABS and fixed it for EvE and Lite instead. I'll look into it later.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.