Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Minecraft: post what's in your mine

logo.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylVtj-1Ccgg
So essentially, this is a game where you are placed on a randomly generated island, where you basically hafta survive. The trick here is that anytime there is darkness (either in caves or nighttime) monsters come out and try to kill you, so you hafta gather resources and use a robust crafting system to survive as long as you can. It's incredibly addicting, but if you wanna try it out, you can buy it here:http://minecraft.net
or use a torrent :x

this thread is for discussing Minecraft in general, and for showing off what you've built or discovered in your worlds or servers. get to punching trees!

mawk

Sponsor

don't torrent minecraft that's gay as hell.

mostly I'm looking forward to the multiplayer right now. survival mode is cool, but exploration isn't as much of a thing when you don't have other people's structures to find along the way. the current server technology is unpolished and buggy, but it has potential once it's cleaned up; multiplayer creative mode is fun as hell, and survival promises to be even moreso. it can be genuinely unnerving at times, though, digging through the stone and suddenly finding a sprawling cavern with slurps echoing in the distance. it's sort of annoying that you'll hear those noises even if there's a thick stone wall between you and the zombie, but it's made for a few effective jump scares so far and I can only expect it'll be fixed in a patch eventually. these things are coming out regularly now, since notch is working on it full-time as of May.

the survival beta recently added some really cool things. minecarts and minecart tracks were finally introduced, and can be ridden around on. with survival mode's scarcity of resources, though, awesome things like roller coasters aren't yet that viable, even given the /iron cheat.

redstone's been around a little longer, but it has even more potential to be cool. redstone and redstone torces can be used to create basic circuits: redstone can be applied to any blocks to create a trail that conducts electricity to a torch, which is either lit or snuffed out by the current. people have used this to create elaborate fortress security systems, calculators, and other things.

right now I'm hoping the final product includes a final draft of creative mode, which makes use of things like redstone, minecarts, and the new lighting and liquid physics. I can't imagine what sorts of things could be done by a server full of electronically-minded people using redstone, or some other awesome people making roller coasters.

anyone can play creative mode, and that's pretty fun in its own right, but I'd definitely recommend that you shell out and see what's new. buying in during the prerelease applies for all future updates and the eventual final product, and for half the price the full thing is gonna be.

the Minecraft wiki is an excellent utility for situations if you're just getting started. it's pretty much the only way to find your way around the crafting system too at this point, beyond simple trial and error.

Jason

Awesome Bro

I only play the free version but meh, I like going into peoples games and making underground layers because that's cool as fuck, or I'll make a really abstract structure on the surface, lol. This one time there were 12 of us and we destroyed every single block on the level, fuck it took forever!

mawk

Sponsor

whoah. that's ostensibly the best way to grief something ever. I've never been impressed with people who just bust holes in things or flood underground lairs, but clearing every block on the server's not too shabby.

im so addicted to this game right now :/ im with jbrist, making underground lair entirely powered my minecarts is the shit.

btw: where the fuck do you find coal?

mawk

Sponsor

you can find veins of coal basically anywhere there's stone. I've found it just chilling on the sides of mountains and way down next to the bedrock. they're just those stone blocks with the black splotches. they come in pretty large clusters so you shouldn't have to look too long.

Ive been playing this for a while. I havent been able to find that much iron/steel though. usually I only come across one to two blocks per vein I find. So it is hard for me to make decent armor.

I just started digging deep underground and exploring. It is nerve-racking. I also found a spawn point. What am I supposed to do with it? Like can I collect it or something. I sort of just sealed it off at the moment. Those spiders were getting quite tenacious.

Also do things ever de-spawn? After a long night of mining i camp back up just to see it was daylight, so i safely decided i was going to get more coal for torches, to find myself on the recieving end of a couple of skeleton's arrows :(

enemies that have already seen you or notice your presence wont go away unless you leave the vicinity. Usually with skeletons and zombies, they burn daybreak. You usually want to pick a place with some more coal, then dig. You can probably find some more. Plus, the enemies might go away.

I tried collecting the spawn point but its not working. Its kind of intimidating. :c

well, creative mode and survival mode are pretty different. Im pretty sure the free version is creative, where you get a certain amount of blocks and do whatever you want. Survival mode is quite different, you start with absolutely nothing and you find and build using the resources you find. there is a great sense of satisfaction when you actually start building your mega fortress. Starting from a simple cave to a four story building is rewarding.

This game is also pretty creepy. Because enemies basically rip you to shreds, you have to be really careful. Ive actually yelped one time. These enemies are brutal. :c

Nachos":3rc96224 said:
Fuck I can't register in the website. It seems pretty awesome, too bad I can't buy it!

torrent, cough

same thing happened here, actually. clicked on the register, typed up the info, then waited like half an hour to see it connecting or whatever the fuck you call it.

Don't feel like torrenting this game. The guy seemed to have worked on it a bit, i already have too many games i gotta play, and it's just sad torrenting something with graphics like this. idky.

Nachos

Sponsor

Daxis":14zisw2z said:
Nachos":14zisw2z said:
Fuck I can't register in the website. It seems pretty awesome, too bad I can't buy it!

torrent, cough

same thing happened here, actually. clicked on the register, typed up the info, then waited like half an hour to see it connecting or whatever the fuck you call it.

Don't feel like torrenting this game. The guy seemed to have worked on it a bit, i already have too many games i gotta play, and it's just sad torrenting something with graphics like this. idky.
Yup, according to a blog post "hes in finland an the server is overloaded"

hahaha thats a shame i was really looking forward to seeing this. i love survival games like this. i'll probably be waiting till later versions come out, i hate the idea of playing alpha builds of anything really

okay so i have been exploring really deep underground. I have found literally tons and tons of redstone powder stuff. I dont know how to use it yet, but practice makes perfect.

I still have a hard time finding iron.

And i have only found like a few diamond.

There is literally tons of lava down way deep. Im always worried about accidentally hitting a pool of lava and flooding.

moxie

Sponsor

bacon":298p3rlw said:
okay so i have been exploring really deep underground. I have found literally tons and tons of redstone powder stuff. I dont know how to use it yet, but practice makes perfect.

I still have a hard time finding iron.

And i have only found like a few diamond.

There is literally tons of lava down way deep. Im always worried about accidentally hitting a pool of lava and flooding.

this post alone has me sold. it sounds like a really fun first person version of Dwarf Fortress.

also the fact that it literally has blocks for graphics and still manages to be more tense and atmospheric than a lot of next-gen commercial games!

mawk

Sponsor

screenshot_20100904173208.png

creative mode is still pretty fun!

also yeah it really does have the potential for sort of a Dwarf Fortress thing, particularly in multiplayer. all it really needs are pumps, ballistas, and more aggressive raiding mobs.

reading Notch's blog, it seems like he's been speaking with Valve and Bungie about some things. he's keeping the details to himself until he knows stuff for sure, but presumably they're talking over the details for Minecraft's full release. this is pretty cool news; dedicated servers would be a really neat thing to see.

it's also cool that things look like they're taking off for Notch! he's put a whole lot of work into things so far, and having some big commercial backing could be really good for both him and the players.

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.