Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Iteration

Hey guys, a few updates since the last time I posted. Our artist Ting is finishing up some new pieces of character concept art, so expect an update to that on the first page within the next few days. He's almost finished the entire cast of protagonists along with our main antagonist Asylum, who I hope you will all find creepy as hell.

We've also just brought on a new member to the team, Alex Drummond. He's be our environment concept artist as well as painting the in-game graphics for the project. Starting in January keep your eyes open finally for some in-game screens. Check out some of his work here:
http://www.alexdrummo.com/

The script is coming along well, going to keep powering through it as best as I can, but class don't leave me with much time. I hope to have it completely done by January as well so that we can really start production in the new year.

I've also been developing the systems a bit more, especially the battle system. I'm working on a new battle mechanic that I think will be interesting. It's not fleshed out enough yet to talk about, but its similar in theory to the Tactics system from the Dragon Age games (or Gambit system, for you JRPGers). Pretty soon I'd like to start working on the rest of the systems programming-wise so that when we have maps we can start some basic system testing.

We also have been working on the game's website, which will probably launch sometime around December if everything goes according to plan. It's going to be pretty simple, but so far it's been coming out really nice.

The last little bit of news is that the game finally has an official name. White Dawn Saga:Origins. I think it has a nice sound too it, but let us know what you guys think!

I really think that the name sounds like a Dragon Age Origins ripoff.

Together with Saga, White, and Dawn, those are quite common names too.

Names don't have to matter as much, as long as you got a good storyline going on really. People do run out of ideas for name, and just go for the easy route. Or use Zorn Tools, and generate away. There's another site out there that's pretty popular, that has a lot name/title generators used for game makers like us.

www.seventhsanctum.com/generate.php?

something like that?

Huh, well, could you elaborate on why you think it sounds like a rip off? Other then the 'origins' part I don't really see a connection between 'dragon age' and 'white dawn'.

Thanks for the link benos, I'll check it out.

Well I'm hearing lots of "origins" names lately, so its only normal to assume that everyone is trying to copy off Origins.

White isn't as overused as Dark, but Dawn is quite used.

Thankfully its not "Dark Dawn" or something though.

Names are important for a first impression, remember that.

Ah, so it is the origins part. Well, that can be changed, but I wanted to simply convey that this is the first in the series. Right now I'm thinking of changing 'origins' to 'conception', sounds more organic. Does that seem better?

I know, the name is everything in first impressions. If it turns out that this one is no good, we'll grab another.

Hey guys, just a quick updated. Added the finalized concept art for Ashley and Edmond. Watti, Noah, and Asylum's final designs should be finished by the end of the week, and Ting just started working on Bella/Claira and Vance, which should be good. Check out the finished pieces, and let me know what you guys think.

I'm using Dark/Light as a title anyway, but just for additional flavor, as a sub title: Skies of Azimuth.

Nothing to do with that Skies of Arcadia, or nothing to do with being a fangame to anything. But it is a typical storyline as such.

Dark/Light: Skies Azimith. Wait, what?

Dark/Light: Azimuth Skies.

Sub titles only make sense if it were like Dark/Light: Azimuth Skies Act I.

Something like that. But the lands are based upon sky islands though. :p

And for the topic without talking about my game, lol.

I don't see anything wrong with it, maybe Saga is just overused, but every game can be a saga only for sequel works.

Hey guys. Tonight we just hit a pretty big milestone in my book. The designs for the protagonist cast are finished! Tomorrow I finish up the registration process with the copyright office, so I'll put them up when that's done, but this is a pretty big step for us in the art department. Next up, the environments. They're not going to start until January when we've built up our budget a bit, but that'll give me plenty of time to finish up that script. Of which, 22 pages are finished so far. Not a whole lot just yet, but hey, it's progress. Keep an eye open tomorrow on the thread for the new art.

Also, trying out a new title that I think works really well; 27th Iteration. It's a reference to the cycle of reincarnation that the planet goes through every time The Harbinger is activated. The planet is currently in it's 27th cycle, so, it seemed quite fitting. Let me know what you guys think of it. We're also trying out a new company name; White Raven Games.

Hey everyone. The copyright registration just went through today, so I am happy to tell everyone that the concept art for the entire cast is online. Check it out, and please let me know what you guys think. We haven't gotten much feedback on the art department and I'd love some criticism.

Dude the artwork is awesome The main character looks cool nd the chick reminds me of my ex especially in her chest area (nd the name :/ ) , theres nothin to really criticize on jst yet cus the artwork is superb bt I wna see how it looks in game so gd luck

Hey guys. Been a bit quiet the last few days, sorry about that. But, not a whole lots been going down. Still, a couple of updates to just keep you guys informed.

As far as the art department is going, the character designs are 95% finished in regards to the main cast. Like I said, the environments won't being until January so until then art output is gonna be kind of small. But, we are currently working on the logo art for the company and the game, so keep your eyes peeled for that.

Right now most of our focus is on the script, which is coming along at a steady pace.

Other than that we're just fleshing out the battle system a bit more, specifically the stratagem system. Eventually I'll be creating a beta demo for the battle system to see if people respond well too it.

That's about it for now. Going to try find a way to swing over to the Project Discussion section to hopefully get a bit more exposure and some more input on the game. Stay tuned for more updates.

Hey guys. Just wanted to let you guys know that I and the game are both still alive, and that we're still cranking out work. I've been so busy with school lately that I haven't been able to do much, but, I did work a bit on the character designs. Noah's color has changed a bit, and Vance's stature is a bit less wide. He looked a little too heavy. Also, he has a thicker beard that I think works better. Also, I'll be working on some more designs for our upcoming antagonists. However, don't expect them too be of the same quality as the others just yet. We're running a bit low on funds this month so we can't have our artist do them at the moment.

Also, over this short break I have I'll be working like crazy on the script. I have at least five solid hours of plane ride to write my ass off, so expect much more of the script to be written.

We're still working on the logo, still tinkering with the concept for the battle system, and pretty soon I'm going to start working on graphics for the UI. So, look for those soon enough.

That's about it. Have a great Thanksgiving everyone!

Hey guys. Just another update to let you all know that the game is alive and kickin'. A few things:

The script is coming along well. We're up to the fifth 'chapter' of what should be around thirty or so, so progress is definitely being made. Expect the rough draft to be finished by the end of December.

We kind of ran into a snag with the logo. The one our last artist did wasn't quite what we're looking for, so we're starting again from scratch. But, hopefully we'll have it done by the end of December as well.

Come January I'm going to start looking for programmers to get cracking on the different systems of the game so we can at least get some really simple alphas going, get some feedback on them to make improvements.

Also, expect two things within the upcoming month. Level designs and more character art. While I'd love to have our artist Ting continue to do the character designs, money is a bit strapped right now since most of it is going into our environment design. So, I will be doing them for now, and when money flows a bit better I'll have him do better versions. So, keep your eyes open for art of all different kinds, and updates about the script.

Hey everyone! Hope you guys have had a happy Christmas, and that the New Year is being a pleasant one. Posting to let you all know that despite the radio silence we are not dead, and to bring you guys some updates.

First off, the script. It's going really well so far, but my original projection of having it done by now was WAY off. We just finished about a third of it, which is still a nice chunk, but we have a lot more to go.

Next up, the environment designs are currently underway! They're going to be coming starting from now all the way into April, so keep those eyes peeled for some really awesome artwork. By April the script should also be finished, along with the rest of the designs hopefully, which will mean we can actually start getting development underway.

I also really do want to get the website up an running soon, so hopefully within the next month or so that'll be ready.

That's about it. We're absolutely still kickin', so for anyone who was interested in this before, keep a watchful eye.

Hi everybody! After about two months of silence I figured I may as well let you guys know the status of the game and what I've been up to.

First of all, the game is not dead. We've hit some speed bumps this last month, but certainly not dead. I know I said that the environment art would be finished by April, but, that's the speed bump; our previous artist had to be let go, and it's set us back about two months in the art department. But, I have found a new artist, and I have to say that I'm EXTREMELY excited. I don't want to say any names until everything is signed and ready to go, but it was a really huge break. If all goes well, he should start in April, which should put the environments completion around August.

So what else have I been doing? Well, I am very happy to say that the story is now completely finished. That was a huge landmark for us, and I'm happy to see it completed.

Vance, Watti, Noah and Asylum are going to be redesigned a bit. I'm also going to be starting on the new designs for all of the story's major NPCs, now that the narrative element has been finished. So, look forward to seeing at least some new character designs soon. However, they'll be done by me, so, they'll still be in the rough design stages.

I'm also hoping to get a mock-up video done soon of the game's systems so that people can see how the game should play. I think we may have found an animator who is up to the task, and if so, it should be done sometime in March.

The last thing I want to leave you guys with is that soon the thread will be closing. I really want to get the game's website/blog up and running soon, and when that happens this thread is going to close. However, until we get some more visual work done, the website won't be ready. So, the thread shouldn't be closing for another couple of months.

Well, that's about it for now. I'll keep you guys updated on what's going on with our environment artist, and I'll try to regularly post the new character art. Now, since I had promised some environment art, I'm posting the two pieces of art Alex finished. Since they're not going to be used for the game, I don't mind throwing them up and letting you guys take a look.

Later guys.

linesMecheaFINALRevised.jpg

amarebiForrestFINALrevised.jpg

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.