Envision, Create, Share

Welcome to HBGames, a leading amateur game development forum and Discord server. All are welcome, and amongst our ranks you will find experts in their field from all aspects of video game design and development.

Iteration

I want to post something, but i actually have to go, so 'ill make it real quick. I like this! You manage to build a believable world; I like the character art, i'm interested how this project will translate into a game.

thanks for the feedback. one of the most important things to me and the team has been developing a world that the player will be able to immerse themselves in. Doing that requires a world that is fully developed and believable, so I'm glad you feel that way. As for the art, there's actually a few more characters who are almost done, but need just a few tweeks in their designs. This is going to be a 2D isometric game built in the XNA Game Studio, so I feel like all of the art going into this will translate pretty well into the engine.

Speaking of art, later on today expect two pieces up; a cleaner version of Avalo (better pose, cleaner sketch) and the first piece of concept art for one of the main antagonists, Asylum. With his art there will also be a description of his backstory and of the other main antagonist, Michel.

Within the next two weeks or so, everyone's design should be finished. The world (and world map) should also be completely done, including the cultures, lore, etc. After that, I'm going to start working on the first draft of the game's script.

Okay guys, added the concept art for Asylum and I finished the world map! Its under the world section. If the font is a bit too hard to read, let me know, but I really like the look of it

Looks brilliant!
Great concept art and detailed chars

But the world map is indeed hard to read..
you might want to fix that (or have a discription next to it)

Other than that, keep up the good work ;D

Gr, LM91

First of, thanks you guys! I appreciate the support and and the complements on the artwork.

@LiquidMetal91: I had a feeling the font would be a little too awkward to read. I'm going to test out a few different ones and find one that works better.

Okay, so I was working on the new piece of Avalo, but halfway through I realize that the proportion was wrong. Was about to start over, but I decided, there are still four designs that need to get done, and two that have to be tweeked in the next two weeks before the writing process starts. I'll do his revamped piece when time isn't so critical. Within the next, two days or so, expect the designs for Bella and Claira to be up. After that I'm going to finish up Vance and the second antagonist, Michel. So, for those who enjoy the artwork, check back in a few days.

That's about it for now. Take it easy everyone

Alright guys, added the design for Bella. Claira is gonna have to wait for about another two days, and Vance will have to wait probably until next Monday.

I'm really liking the look of this project, and I'll be keeping a close eye on this. I can't wait to see more concept art, and I'm especially excited about hearing about the systems you have planned.

thank you again for the complements on the art. I only hope that the environment concept art comes out as well as the characters, lol. while I do enjoy the nice words on the art, I would love more feedback on what you guys think of the characters, mostly because their story arcs really are about the first third of the game's story. This is why the description on the story may seem a bit vague.

@Eidolion: About the systems, there are four main parts of rpgs, especially with jrpgs, that I feel have stagnated, and need to evolve. These include; the way your characters level/develop, how the player can interact with the environments in the world, how you can interact with cutscenes, and most importantly, the battle system.

Character Development: This is one of the systems that hasn't been fleshed out yet, but I do know that it needs to be improved on. Most games either have strict, set paths that the character can develop on, like the sphere grid, or they have no path at all, like materia or the license board. This either results in a lack of choice and direction, or completely mass produced characters. While I'm not sure how yet, I'd like to make a system that gives the player options and makes leveling fun, and unique.

World Interaction: This is something that a LOT of rpgs haven't done anything with. In a lot of rpgs, you can't even jump, let alone interact with the world in an engaging way. I mean take FFXIII, in that game there was no interaction with the world what so ever. Finding treasure was as challenging as looking for tiny side roads. In our game, not only can you interact with the world, but puzzles naturally occur with the game that you have to solve. Some create shortcuts to new areas in the world, others can lead to very valuable treasures or intense boss battles, and others can lead to story areas.

Cutscene Interaction: Probably the only category that's actually seen progress, games like Mass Effect have done wonders with cutscene interaction. Our system will be similar, only more actions will be controlled by the player. For example, when the game begins Ashley's arc, she is making origami for one of her siblings. Rather than watching her, the player actually helps create the origami.

The Battle System: This one is paradoxically the most important system to me and the least developed yet. I want to create a system that is both strategical, interactive, and fast-paced. Turn-based systems, while offering the time to create strategic systems, have become extremely slow paced. Action based systems on the other hand don't offer enough time to think, but they pull the player in. There's a sense of urgency and action. I want to find a way to combine the two.

moog

Sponsor

man i didnt even read this yet tbh but the art looks super awesome. ill reply later with my thoughts on the story, but so far i like what I see.

thank you. I can't wait to hear what you think about the story. If you want more information about it, because the description here isn't to fleshed out, just let me know, and I'll tell you a bit more about it.

Alright guys, quick art update. First off, there's going to be a bit a hold on art this weekend. I have an exam/essay to write for one of my classes and a program to submit for another. Gotta love college. So, Claira's design will not be finished the weekend. And it'll actually be coming a bit later, which brings me to my next point.

I've been working on Vance's design and its starting to come together pretty well. It's everything you'd expect from an RPG hero; teenager, androgynous, a shit load of belts and bucklers that have no purpose. You know, I want all Nomura on his ass...Nah, just messing with you guys. Actually, I decided that for Vance a simpler design works better. Vance isn't about flash or pop or any of that crap. He's kind of grizzled actually. Unshaven, long hair, battle scarred. I think you guys will like it. What I like about his design more than the others is that elements of even his clothing has a sentimental back story. Expect it up some time on Monday/Tuesday.

hey guys. just wanted to make a quick update. while bella and asylum have a good jump off point, I fell like their designs are quite right yet. so, I'm going to do some tweaking to their designs as well. note that this will not change the set schedule, and writing is going to start next monday as planned. also, i'm going to start the menu designs soon, so keep an eye open for that.

hey everyone. just wanted to let you all know why there has been such a delay, and give you a few quick updates. School has been pretty crazy this week, which means that I haven't been able to really work on any art or start writing the script. I still have another exam this Friday, so studying isn't going to slow down until the weekend, when I will resume work on the game.

As a quick side note, I did manage to squeeze in some time last Sunday to work on Vance's design, and its coming along well. I need to do a few more versions of him to get it just right, but he's almost ready for unveiling. Also, I'm going to start working pretty in-depth with designing the systems, because I have to get a jump start on planning out the code for them all.

About the script, that will also commence this weekend. For any interested in following along with it and reading it as it develops, let me know. I'm still trying to come up with the right beginning.

Thats about it for now. Expect art soon, expect systems soon, and expect the script soon. All within the next two weeks or so.

Hey guys. Just a quick update, I finished up Noah's design. Check it out, let me know what you think. Vance's design is finished, but I have to redraw it because it didn't come out so great. It should be finished by tomorrow.

Okay everyone, two things:

One, I finished creating a complete history for the game. It takes place during the planet's 27th reincarnation. Now that that's done, I'm going to work on the religions of the world, etc.

Second, I think I've found a few pro concept artists who will work on the game under commission, so, as of now I am no longer the lead concept artist for the game. This also means that you should soon be expecting some awesome concept artwork for all of our heroes, our villains, and if soon enough, the environments. So, what does it mean now that I'm no longer heading up the art department? It means that now I'll be able to focus solely on the world building, systems development, and story writing...in that order.

Another quick little notice, the script has been delayed again. I know that there's a pattern developing here with the story, but I feel that there are a few more important things that need to be done first. First being the game's systems. They're barely developed yet, and the game has little to show for it without them as they are going to be the game changers for Project Harmony. The other is the world building. I want to completely design the world before I start to write a story within it. Think Silmerilion before Lord of the Rings. But, soon enough, the script will have been started.

In the mean time, I would love to know what you guys think about the characters and their respective story arcs, or the artwork that's done already

Okay everyone, two things:

One, I finished creating a complete history for the game. It takes place during the planet's 27th reincarnation. Now that that's done, I'm going to work on the religions of the world, etc.

Second, I think I've found a few pro concept artists who will work on the game under commission, so, as of now I am no longer the lead concept artist for the game. This also means that you should soon be expecting some awesome concept artwork for all of our heroes, our villains, and if soon enough, the environments. So, what does it mean now that I'm no longer heading up the art department? It means that now I'll be able to focus solely on the world building, systems development, and story writing...in that order.

Another quick little notice, the script has been delayed again. I know that there's a pattern developing here with the story, but I feel that there are a few more important things that need to be done first. First being the game's systems. They're barely developed yet, and the game has little to show for it without them as they are going to be the game changers for Project Harmony. The other is the world building. I want to completely design the world before I start to write a story within it. Think Silmerilion before Lord of the Rings. But, soon enough, the script will have been started.

In the mean time, I would love to know what you guys think about the characters and their respective story arcs, or the artwork that's done already. Any C&C would be greatly appreciated.

Hey guys. Just a little heads up. Activity on this page may slow down a bit for the new couple of weeks. Pre-production is in full swing right now, so while our artists are working on the concept art, I'm going to finish up designing the systems. Periodically I'll update this page with the concept art that gets finished, and i'll update the systems section, but don't expect any major updates for a few months.

EDIT:
By the way, if you guys want to check out our artist/musician, then go to these links.
http://max05xiii.bandcamp.com/ -> Our musician
http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showth ... p?t=184244 -> Our artist

Updated the first post with the brand new character art by our concept artist, Ting Xu. There is a character roster now added to the post, where you can click the character icon to see the full image. As the weeks ago by, expect to see the rest of the windows full! We have concept art coming like crazy, ands its going to be awesome.

Let me know what you guys think of Avalo

Thank you for viewing

HBGames is a leading amateur video game development forum and Discord server open to all ability levels. Feel free to have a nosey around!

Discord

Join our growing and active Discord server to discuss all aspects of game making in a relaxed environment. Join Us

Content

• Our Games
  • Games in Development
  • Emoji by Twemoji.